Post your 4X bikes

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post your 4X bikes
Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 10:35 Quote
Beautiful! Cool color... gothic/old english font... steel... machine dropout loveliness! Fabulous.

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 12:52 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:
Beautiful! Cool color... gothic/old english font... steel... machine dropout loveliness! Fabulous.

Hats off to Mike Wong....he's knows how to build em

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 16:59 Quote
losidan wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:

Hats off to Mike Wong....he's knows how to build em

And it looks like they still make 'em!

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
photo

First sesh on the pumpduro bike...i'm so happy how the bike turned out

List of mods:
lowered the fork to 140
air shock
dh groupset
racing ralph tubeless tires
dh saddle

The bike is not as fast on the pumptrack as a legit dirtjump but its plenty quick and so much fun!
Can wait to take it to the local woods and hit some jumps!

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 10:27 Quote
Makes me wish I had an old Fuel EX 27.5" frame to short shock and turn into a 4X play bike. Or an older 5010.

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 11:33 Quote
seraph wrote:
Makes me wish I had an old Fuel EX 27.5" frame to short shock and turn into a 4X play bike. Or an older 5010.
I miss my 5010 v2

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 11:44 Quote
Totally. Builds like these make me drool
photo
Josh Lewis Santa Cruz 5010 with retrofitted frame shifter

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 12:17 Quote
Looks so sick!

Trying to keep an eye out for a medium trial bike frame (27.5, alu, 120-140mm travel) to do the same too. Don't have a huge amount to spend so basically avoiding anything too recent. Current thoughts are below but you guys got any other suggestions? Or equally would you avoid any of the frames below

- Commencal meta tr (the slightly older ones were 120/130mm travel and 27.5)
- Nukeproof mega tr
- Marin hawk hill
- Trek fuel
- Canyon neuron/spectral
- Giant trance

Potentially could short-shock something with longer travel but I guess you lose the ramp up part of the progression curve that way so not too sure how great of an idea that would be. Anyone done this?

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
Trek has closeout 2015 Fuel EX 9.9 27.5" frames in stock, I am kind of tempted to pick one up and build up a weird mid-travel play bike.

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
seraph wrote:
Trek has closeout 2015 Fuel EX 9.9 27.5" frames in stock, I am kind of tempted to pick one up and build up a weird mid-travel play bike.

If the price is right….. why not

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 14:22 Quote
seraph wrote:

only if you get the project 1 paint Razz

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 14:28 Quote
seraph wrote:

I just about bought a cheap SJ ST frame for this same project but decided it would be another project I'd never finish.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 14:38 Quote
Joebohobo wrote:
Looks so sick!

Trying to keep an eye out for a medium trial bike frame (27.5, alu, 120-140mm travel) to do the same too. Don't have a huge amount to spend so basically avoiding anything too recent. Current thoughts are below but you guys got any other suggestions? Or equally would you avoid any of the frames below

- Commencal meta tr (the slightly older ones were 120/130mm travel and 27.5)
- Nukeproof mega tr
- Marin hawk hill
- Trek fuel
- Canyon neuron/spectral
- Giant trance

Potentially could short-shock something with longer travel but I guess you lose the ramp up part of the progression curve that way so not too sure how great of an idea that would be. Anyone done this?

GT Distortion or a 27.5" Norco Optic could also be worth adding your list

If you call up your regional distro for any dealer based brands you may be able to buy a NOS frame from their warranty supply for a really good deal - could be worth a shot to see what is lying around in the back of a warehouse.

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 14:49 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
seraph wrote:

I just about bought a cheap SJ ST frame for this same project but decided it would be another project I'd never finish.

That's my same thought. I'm better off getting a cheap alloy DJ frame and refurbishing an old 26" fork off Buy Sell.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 19:56 Quote
seraph wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
seraph wrote:

That's my same thought. I'm better off getting a cheap alloy DJ frame and refurbishing an old 26" fork off Buy Sell.

I already have the super lightweight Yeti DJ, so a 4x bike would be a totally useless project.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018342
Mobile Version of Website