half link chain?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
half link chain?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 1:12 Quote
Hey I stripped my derailer hanger out and i was wondering if I could just use a half link chain to make up for it its a single speed but i was using a dmr tensioner.

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 1:53 Quote
yeah but you might not get the exact gear ratio you want you might have yo go up or down a tooth in back

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 2:09 Quote
Yeah I use a half link chain but without a tensioner after a while the chain will stretch and get real loose. I've come to the conclusion that it is natural from riding so once you notice it gets loose just buy a new chain.

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 7:00 Quote
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that it is natural from riding so once you notice it gets loose just buy a new chain.

Here's a tip for you. Half link chain aren't cheap and will stretch noticeably in the first 2 to 3 months depending on how much you ride.

So what you want to do is keep the spare links that you cut off to fit the chain in the first place. Then when you start noticing the slack, just pop out a couple old links and replace them with new ones. Its not a fix all solution but it sure beats the hell out of dropping $30-40 every time your chain stretches.

As for half links, everybody acts like they're the be all end all solution to chain fit problems. The fact is that they simply make it more likely that the chain will fit, its by no means a guarantee. I would say to go down to your LBS and see if they have one that you can test fit. If they don't have one then get just get a standard half link and if you can setup your regular chain with that then a half link chain should fit.

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 10:20 Quote
Yeah I have some extra spare links laying around that weren't used but it's a pain to take out links and replace them, mainly because the tool I used has to have me pull both ends of the chain while trying to get the pin straight into the hole.

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 13:37 Quote
i havent noticed my half link chain stretch at all. i keep hearing they stretch loads but i havent noticed it hade it on all winter and mostof the summer.

i think its all in the chain and you may need 2 because the one i bought wouldt be long enough for most of my mates bike but because i run small gearing and have a 24 specific frame i can do it.

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 13:44 Quote
my half link chain runs fine

it gets really dirty and greasy fast as hell compared to a 8 speed chain

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 13:46 Quote
mine stretched today its a noing because my brake wont work with it on tight

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 at 8:00 Quote
the chain will become stetched and slacker as you ride, but not enough to make any difference. mines not as tight as it was new, but its not really even noticeable

photo

Posted: Apr 10, 2011 at 21:27 Quote
I have a giant brass1 that I made single speed and was originally going to use a chain tensioner. but i want to use a half link chain instead. so if my front has 31 teeth and in the rear 14, would it work?

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 at 2:49 Quote
sean-s-1991 wrote:
the chain will become stetched and slacker as you ride, but not enough to make any difference. mines not as tight as it was new, but its not really even noticeable

photo

Might not make much difference but half link chains are designed to be run with the fatter part of the link pointing forward.

http://www.theshadowconspiracy.com/interlock-chain

Posted: Apr 11, 2011 at 10:31 Quote
half links only stretch if you run stupid tension on them they dont need to be super tight,they'll stretch itll just be quicker than a normal chain,and dont buy the kmc half link its snap happy

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014317
Mobile Version of Website