Customer service in the cycling industry

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Customer service in the cycling industry
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 7:16 Quote
I bought some 50/50's recently and although I like them I was disapointed to find that some of the plate securing bolts had fallen out. So I emailed crank brothers and to my surprise they sent me some replacements free of charge. I also wrote to banshee and they sent me some touch up paint which was missing from the box. This kind of contradicts my experience with customer sevices in other industries (phone, cable, car repairs, airport etc)which are normally awful. What is your experience with the cycling industries customer services?

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 7:20 Quote
haha I wish geez!! I phone raceface seeing what I could get done about my diabolous dh crankset that has snapped at the crankarm. In short - they were a*sholes. They were rude, pretty short with me on the phone and put me on hold for like 18 mins at a time. I hope they burn! And I didnt get a replacement either.....lifetime warrenty my ass!

But next week im going to ring Kona and see if i can get my bike resprayed or something, as I have a suspicion that they emolyed a bunch of 4 year olds to paint it whilst wearing blindfolds. Kona have a good customer service repuation and when i snapped my rocker plate they were nice and I had a new set at my door two days later.

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 7:23 Quote
For me its all depended on the company. I stripped out 2 screws on my lock on grips so I sent Odi an email. By the end of the next week they had sent me 4 or 8 new screws with a catalogue and some stickers.

Alternately, I've tried to order some stuff from Woodman a couple times. Both times, there was no response so I went with another company instead.

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 7:24 Quote
Theres a bike shop near my work.. I've been in there a few times for little bits and bobs and the owner is super friendly and has regularly given me freebee's..

Chain Reaction Cycles have AWESOME customer service once you can get through to them.. They have a dedicated work shop and customer support dept.

Also Woollyhatshop are always very helpful.

I think quite a few small to medium sized companies are focusing more on customer care these days because they realise that it one thing that the big boys cannot compete with.

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 7:27 Quote
Yeah Chain Reaction Are Nice And Fast you can also go with Dan's Comp also very fast and friendly even on the phone !!!

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 7:58 Quote
in September 2007 i bought an e.thirteen chain guide in Hong Kong. when i returned to Taiwan I found out it was the wrong bolt configuration. i emailed the shop in Hong Kong and they were not willing to help out at all. I emailed e.thirteen and they were awesome. they sent me the stuff I needed super fast and did not charge me very much for it.

another company with amazing customer service is deity. i ordered new cranks in October and they arrived in Taiwan like three days later.

i would recommend both companies. quality goods and amazing service.

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 8:23 Quote
Transition are awesome guys for customer service.

I bought my dirtbag frame from the UK importers Project leeds, who after telling me that the ex-demo model in stock could be repainted and sent to me within the week, then took 3 months, and whilst in the process of rebuilding it, the rounded out half the linkage bolts, didnt seat half the bearings in as far as they should've been, and missed out some bushing washer bits. After this, they tell me the price I had originally been quoted was wrong, so it was gonna cost me an extra £50.
So all in all, a bit of a shite experiance, and to be honest, i'd never get anything from them again.

However, after all that I had a chat with Kyle at Transition and in under a week (US to UK) I received a new bolts and bearings kit free of charge and a bunch of stickers!

Mod
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 8:40 Quote
I was about to buy a Foes frame a couple months ago, but I wasn't sure the year of it. So I phone up Foes with the serial number of the bottom of the BB. I talk to the guy and he's like 'our serial numbers aren't like that at all' and pretty much gave up trying to help me. But than I phone up the LBS and they identify it by the next day.

Fox, I tried to get ahold of to ask about creeping travel loss in my fork. (It was a pretty common problem back with some of their forks). I never got an answer back to what might be causing it - and from the sounds of it most other people with the same problem never got a straight answer or fix from fox either.

But than Rocky Smile . I cracked my frame a couple months ago, and I take it in to the shop. The shop thinks the frame needs to go. Rocky does this thing where you don't have to ship the frame back, you just take a picture and send the pic in. So we do that.. and Rocky's like, 'it's probably just paint cracks because our paint does that sometimes, but if you feel like tthere might have been something in the bikes past that could cause the cracks we'll give you a new one.' So I got a new frame, even though I had voided prtty much every aspect of their warranty. The process took over 2 months... but I got a new frame out of it at no cost to me. tup

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 8:40 Quote
I haven't found any middleman warrenty system helpful at all, i'm always stuck waiting for them to 'look' at it or contact the manufacturer. MOJO (UK Fox service/warrenty centre) have been the most reliable for problems.

Nicolai, don't go there if you want customer service.
Goodridge - excellent.
Hope - Amazing

Its a real hit and miss with companies, the cycle industry is in no way better or worse for customer service than others......

Posted: Apr 2, 2008 at 13:20 Quote
Brodie bikes has some amazing customer service. People over there are always ready to help.
I just had an issue where the bottom bracket threads were either faulty from the start or the bike shop just messed them up when installing the BB, anyway the frame became a very expensive piece of art. Brodie warrantied the frame and they are now sending me a brand new 06 Devo to replace the 2005 at no additional charge, and they already had given me a sweet deal on the 05 to replace my cracked 02 Thumper.
They really gave me some great service, gotta respect that

Posted: Apr 26, 2012 at 23:12 Quote
Bring this back from the dead because i'd like to hear some current experiences with customer service. ill start off!

Transition bike co. still the best customer service i have encountered since 2007. sent me replacement pivot bolts when they broke, replaced derailleur hanger for free when it snapped on my first ride on my 2011 covert. always fast to answer questions and give out stickers!

Crank Brothers, no response for a pedal axle inquiry.

Posted: Apr 27, 2012 at 12:26 Quote
I have a warranty issue with kona a few years back. Just shy over the 1 year term. It was a paint/corrosion isses on my rear swing arm.

They sent it off to get looked at and repainted. I'd have to agree with the 4 year old painters, when i received it, i didn't like how it looked, talked to them and then just sent me a brand new on instead.

Other then that, i always. ALWAYS get great service.

Mod
Posted: May 8, 2012 at 13:30 Quote
Hope - didnt realize they had a canadian warranty place. Anyhow I broke the axle insert on my pro 2 rear hub on a 2.5 year old wheelset - so clearly past any warranty. I explained that I had been using the stupid maxle lite.. and they sent me a brand new alxle insert within the week all the way from the uk free of charge. Suggested I try and get SRAM to give me new maxles

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006178
Mobile Version of Website