Base TA26 VS 24UK for street trials..

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Base TA26 VS 24UK for street trials..
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 10:26 Quote
I use to ride Author 24:00 (pic here) for street trials, got injured (on my FR bike) and sold Author.

Now I'm getting better Smile and I'm looking for options for my new street trials frame.

Generally, there are 2 options:
- Base TA26 (cheap!!!!), a bit heavy though, maybe a bit short for X-ups
- UK24, more expensive, magura bolts (- in my case), higher BB (- in my case)

I really liked the flickabillity of my Author, low BB (could also get it on dirtjumps no problem), but it could be lighter.

The general question here is:
-would TA26 be so less flickable that I should consider UK24? I ride with BMX poeple alot, and I do a looootttt of fakies, 180 pivots, 180s, bunnyhops...

Any usefull ideas?

PS: geo of my Author with Kona rigid fork (405mm)
cs 380mm
tt 540mm (along the tube - actual)
wb 1000mm
bbdiff -10mm
ha around 70 - 71 (69 with 80mm fork)

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 11:03 Quote
hrast wrote:
I use to ride Author 24:00 (pic here) for street trials, got injured (on my FR bike) and sold Author.

Now I'm getting better Smile and I'm looking for options for my new street trials frame.

Generally, there are 2 options:
- Base TA26 (cheap!!!!), a bit heavy though, maybe a bit short for X-ups

I really liked the flickabillity of my Author, low BB (could also get it on dirtjumps no problem), but it could be lighter.

The general question here is:
-would TA26 be so less flickable that I should consider UK24? I ride with BMX poeple alot, and I do a looootttt of fakies, 180 pivots, 180s, bunnyhops...

Any usefull ideas?

PS: geo of my Author with Kona rigid fork (405mm)
cs 380mm
tt 540mm (along the tube - actual)
wb 1000mm
bbdiff -10mm
ha around 70 - 71 (69 with 80mm fork)

the 24uk is awesome man,
i rode one for a year, i threw everything at it and it was great.
i rode alot of street trials and natural trials it was even great in the skate park

if you want a short frame that u can flick around the 24uk is totally the frame to get.
its solid too it can handle whatever punishment you throw at it,
i gauruntee youll be in love with it when you get on one.

specific trials riding it was awesome
rocks were no challenge logs were fun
and it tears it up on urban

plus steve over at heatsink bikes is a really good guy to deal with
he may hook you up with a few things.
really takes care of his customers.

keep your set up simple i wouldnt use an over long stem
rock a 26 inch fork a normal riser style bar

i even ran an xc bar on it for quite a while and hte head tube angle allowed for that.

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 12:15 Quote
Yeah, I've read some of your posts regarding uk24 frame... And also videos from heatsink.com and from dany macaskill meda me think of 24" again...

To be honest, I'm mostly affraid of the "high" BB on uk24. All the bikes I used so far for my street trial riding, had had bb diff around -10 (or even less - STP, PX Pitbull). And I found that bb height just right for higher bunnyhops. With higher BB i feel like out of control when bunnyhoping (when trying to hop around 0.5m or higher, bike just flies from beneath me... scary).

Also for skatepark stuff (stalling on backwheel, footplants, dropins..) I find lower BB more apropriate.

I was also thinking of putting 24" wheels on TA26... But disctabs dont look very strong...

Posted: Feb 3, 2008 at 1:59 Quote
Anyone has a suggestion?

I'm especially curious about disctabs on Base TA26. Would it hold normal street trials riding?

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 at 18:27 Quote
Why dont you go for a marino, you can get one built to the geometry of your choice, with all the extra's you want like disc mounts, and to get one built and posted to the UK is about £120, but you'd be waiting a few weeks as they're made in Peru

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 at 5:22 Quote
hrast wrote:
Yeah, I've read some of your posts regarding uk24 frame... And also videos from heatsink.com and from dany macaskill meda me think of 24" again...

To be honest, I'm mostly affraid of the "high" BB on uk24. All the bikes I used so far for my street trial riding, had had bb diff around -10 (or even less - STP, PX Pitbull). And I found that bb height just right for higher bunnyhops. With higher BB i feel like out of control when bunnyhoping (when trying to hop around 0.5m or higher, bike just flies from beneath me... scary).

Also for skatepark stuff (stalling on backwheel, footplants, dropins..) I find lower BB more apropriate.

I was also thinking of putting 24" wheels on TA26... But disctabs dont look very strong...

i used to ride a ta26 on 24inch wheels and they were alright, felt kind of weird first ride but the geometry felt good with them, the disc tabs are pretty strong but if you want something stronger go for the 24uk or a ashton effect frameset

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 19:22 Quote
hrast wrote:

The 24uk has an option where you choose which mount you would prefer (v or magura) and then the other goes on the bottom.

And about which bike, I dont know too much about either, but If I had the choice Id much rather a 24UK

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.heatsinkbikes.com/content/24UK2/24UK2-redside.jpg
**note the v mounts under the seatstays. When you order, you can ask for a frame where the v mounts are above and the maggie mounts are below

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.011481
Mobile Version of Website