What's in a name?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
What's in a name?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 6:43 Quote
What's in a name?
Ok so here we are after a great Sunday of the first ever ECMTB trail day and I got thinking about a conversation that I had at the trail head with a local guy from back home.
He is in the process of developing a map of Fitzpatrick Mountain but finds some of my names inapropriate and has since decided to edit.

Each trail that I have ever built has a unique catchy name that fits the trail. This particular trail's name is Wet Dream.
However on the new trail maps, it will be referred to as Dream.

I don't really see the big deal, the name came from how the trail was built, my trail building partner and I went to the woods one day and he proceeded to tell me of this dream that he had of the trail that we were about to build.
It turned into a pretty sweet trail and justly earned the name I think.

Am I just being overly sensitive? Does he have a right to edit trail names? Or is he just jealous because he could never make a trail as cool as the Wet Dream?

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 8:41 Quote
Say your name was Josh and you met some dude who decided you had a shitty name and called you Eric, how would you feel?

I'd be offended and I'd do something about it.

A name is a name and even if it has hidden meanings, it's still a name and it's an insult to change it.

Besides... Wet Dream? How can someone find that offensive? Every single male in the world goes through this at some point in their lives. It's not like you named it "Peruvian Bunghole Puking Midget" or something like that.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 10:54 Quote
Haha yea, i would be offended. Frankly, wet dream isn't very offensive, common, look at what cove names some of there bikes, the STD, the Stripper, The G spot. Haha and POW has a glove called the shocker. hahaha

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 16:39 Quote
Almost every Kona bike is named after a piece of poo or a way of taking a poo.

Posted: Oct 9, 2007 at 14:36 Quote
I think some names go too far...

Satan's Little Fluffer for example. How do you explain that one to a younger kid.

Wet Dream sounds totally legit. We had a trail named Slippery When Wet.

I think the Kona naming is a take off on a Hawaiian thang. The Cove bikes...that's another story. Shocker still makes me laugh. Actually all their names are pretty clever.

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 at 9:58 Quote
We have a trail here named Matts Trail...Not much thought into that but the name came about by the local kids who rode it, refering to the builder. Now, the builder has named sections of the trail..."Pandora's Box" - a rock section that took forever to make passable. You didnt know what you were getting into when you flipped over each rock. Also the "Chastity Bridge". A bridge over a hole that is always wet and slick ( it was known as the "Wet spot" before the bridge was in place)..none the less the "wet spot" isnt a problem unless you fall of the straight and narrow "Chastity Bridge".

A local favorite trail that is no longer ridin' was "Another Woman". The builders wife named it...seems he was never around. With features such as the "Beaver Bridge", a solid bridge that spanned a rock gorge and ran parallel to a beaver dam, the "Skinny Blond", a fresh cut wood plank that sent you on a low flight over a downed tree and into a natural tranny, and "Table Rock", a large square rock in the middle of nowhere with a creek running around it. Ladder bridges were known as the "on ramp"/"off ramp". Lots of others...

Naming features and trails is giving it character and often there is a story behind the name. Also, many times, these names are given as references and used within a smaller social Ie. the builders and the riders shown the trail. The names become questionable when the trails are made public...

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 at 10:04 Quote
what town has the dirtiest names for trails, here in ktown we have "dirty sanchez" it used to have a move called "hot carl", "the lickhersore" which has a move called "the carpet muncher", umm... "fist first"... i dont remember the rest

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 at 10:39 Quote
I wouldn't be to offended by it. Alot of my stunts and trails have dirty names,Stinky pinky,Jedi f*cker,camael toe etc but I wouldn't blame someone for leaving a name out or changing it because some kids mom might find it offensive.I think the fact that it can't be repeated around moms and such makes it that much funnier.The worst for me was having build days and having moms drop there kids off to help me only to find out they left there kid alone in the bush with a 34year old named Dirty Dave.Mind you some of the moms who new my nick name would give me a dirty little smerk.Dam MILFS!lol

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 at 11:05 Quote
we have a trail my buddy here is building his calling iut to minutes to mawot but we called top S.A.F trail (aka sketchy as f*&k)

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 at 11:15 Quote
thats a bit offensive, they are your names and i think that since that one isnt even that bad it should remain as wet dream.

Here we have the same thing, hairy dimeslot, my dixie wrecked and bukkake, 10 Dollar whore. All of the trail names are differnt so they dont appear offensive on the maps that were put into the city to help save the trail network from golf course developers.

Posted: Dec 21, 2007 at 8:17 Quote
thats pretty dumb how he wants to edit. In lethbridge we have a trail call "The Muff" and no one has said anytihng yet, although we dont have maps about it :p

Posted: Dec 21, 2007 at 8:22 Quote
akirizu wrote:
"Peruvian Bunghole Puking Midget"

i'm naming a trail that, just because.

Posted: Dec 25, 2007 at 20:06 Quote
nagelk wrote:
thats pretty dumb how he wants to edit. In lethbridge we have a trail call "The Muff" and no one has said anytihng yet, although we dont have maps about it :p

Yah but not alot of people know about "the muff" And i dont think there are any trail signs near it either, so its only known as the muff to those who know what its called

Posted: Dec 26, 2007 at 13:07 Quote
oww that`s kind of shit))

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010378
Mobile Version of Website