KATHMANDU - Nepal! Advice needed

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
KATHMANDU - Nepal! Advice needed
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 1, 2016 at 4:42 Quote
Hey guys so I'm backpacking around Asia for a few months. Anyway I've found myself in Kathmandu which seems to have a small biking scene to my nice surprise. Basically I really want to rent a bike for a day or two. I would rather not have to pay for a guide so if anyone happens to be in the area and wouldn't mind dragging me around for a day I'll happily take them for a drink or two after. Beer
Basically what I want to know is:
What are the trails like here? Is a full-sus necessary at all? Is it mainly AM or is there Downhill too?
Where's thew best spot to rent a bike? I'm staying in Thamel and all the bikes seem pretty low quality. I've been advised Epic Mountain bike shop and Lalitpur Bike Station but a second opinion would be great.

ALSO

I hear there's a race tomorrow at Hatiban Resort, Champadevi from 10-11. Any info on this? Woulod love to go and watch

If anyone feels like being really helpful then my email is alfie.greenwood@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers, Alfie

Posted: Apr 1, 2016 at 5:33 Quote
Hey! Firstly welcome to Nepal! Hope you've enjoyed yourself here. Unfortunately i'm leaving tomorrow otherwise I would definitely have shown you around some trails. There are quite a few options for bike rentals in Thamel (full suspension and hardtails), but head down to Himalayan Single track where you can rent giant bikes (anthems, trances). If you ask around Thamel they will point you the right way.

As i'm sure you've noticed, we have hills all around the valley, each of which will have sweet trails. So expect lots of uphill and correspondingly downhills too. You should come to Boudha and head towards Helipad, if you ask at the Boudha Cycle shop they will tell you the way to go, or maybe hook you up with another rider who will take you. Its a pretty sweet trail with technical sections and single track. There's also the Nagarkot ranger trail, Shivapuri trail, and a whole bunch more. There are so many options, its better if you go down to these shops and ask there. There are many group rides on Saturdays (all the cycle shops will be closed since they also head out to the trails), which would have been a perfect time to meet up with the various local groups who go riding to diff trails each week.

As for the race, no idea but definitely head over there. Ask the locals to point you around, i'm sure you'll meet a lot of nice people who most definitely will take you under their wing Big Grin Good luck and hope you enjoy yourself!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020248
Mobile Version of Website