lowering a vp free

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
lowering a vp free
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 21:59 Quote
I have a question. I have a medium 06 vp-free. 8.5 inches of travel in the back, 8 in the front from 08 fox 40s. I want to lower my BB hight and I dont mind having an inch or so less of travel. Oh yeah and I am also a weight weanie. would it be advisable that I get an 8.75 Eye to Eye DHX air with a 2.5" stroke giving me 7.085 inches of travel in the back with an actual riding hight lowered from 8.5" to 7.8". I would then lower my 40s to 7 inches. Lowering my rear .7 inches and the front 1 inch. If the .3" diff. Is something I dont like because of the shorter head angle I will just move my forks down in their crowns .3 inches. If any of my math is wrong dont hesitate to tell me.

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 22:00 Quote
why? if youre such a weight weenie, get a different bike that has a lower bb height and the travel numbers you want.

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 22:03 Quote
that's the wrong bike to be weight worried with.

If you're looking to turn it into a light slopestyle or jump oriented rig, I'd say look again. That's a born and bred alpine machine.

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 9:53 Quote
doyouquaxu wrote:
why? if youre such a weight weenie, get a different bike that has a lower bb height and the travel numbers you want.

Im not sure if you know this but going that way, buying a new bike, would cost alot more, and also the vp isnt even that heavy, its about same as a socom. Another thing, I want a dh bike, not a slopestyle bike or a freeride bike. Its pretty easy to make 7 inches feel like 8 inches.

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 10:11 Quote
shondo wrote:
that's the wrong bike to be weight worried with.

If you're looking to turn it into a light slopestyle or jump oriented rig, I'd say look again. That's a born and bred alpine machine.

Have you ever ridden a light DH bike? you can ride it so much faster. they are nimble and you can put it places that you have never seen before. And yes I know a vp free is a dh freeride bike depending on how you set it up. Are you trying to say that a 7 inch bike cant be a dh bike?

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 10:15 Quote
Putting a shorter shock is going to add a few degrees rake to your front end. Every angle in a suspension system is important and you're not going to change one angle without effecting others.

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 10:15 Quote
you cant do it if your worried about buy a commencal

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 11:45 Quote
Don't put a shorter shock on!! It will mess up the leverage ratios, throw off the vpp axle path, and generally screw up you rear suspension feel. The only way to lower the bb is by lowering the fork and that will have much more effect on head angle than bb height. If you really want a lower bb you'll have to get a different frame. I do think getting a DHX Air in the stock legnth or a Ti spring is a good idea. Generally the Ti spring will save half a pound and the air shock will save 1 pound over stock.

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 12:12 Quote
put on a 24" wheel in the rear and lower the shock. just about the only way not to mess with the angles much.

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 18:43 Quote
it is doable i have seen it on mtbr,but i would suggest a shorter fork up front,you just need a shorter stroke shock.

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 18:52 Quote
why in the world would you Want to lowr the hight of a bb? Perhaps you are looking for a new bike. i understand wanting to lower the Center of gravity ( i assume that is the answer to my question ) but really, a new bike is more what you're after. Plus a 24" rear tire Would make the bike feel like crap and is pointless, I;ve seen ton's of thread's about this and never understand this ..trend.

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 20:19 Quote
dmadness wrote:
why in the world would you Want to lowr the hight of a bb? Perhaps you are looking for a new bike. i understand wanting to lower the Center of gravity ( i assume that is the answer to my question ) but really, a new bike is more what you're after. Plus a 24" rear tire Would make the bike feel like crap and is pointless, I;ve seen ton's of thread's about this and never understand this ..trend.
accualy a lwoer center of gravity will get you in corner aand keep you there at a higehr speed.. look at the first dh teams like mine giant put the shock and linkages there for a low center of gravity look at glorys and some other bikes like demos

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 20:22 Quote
I know, i ride a demo for tht very reason, I was trying to say tha the geo of a vp. is set how it is so lowering the bb hight could be the only reason I would find ( lower the gravity ) but will be more difficult to do than Buying a different frame and will aslo effect other aspects of the ride.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 at 8:05 Quote
My vpfree with a dhx air and a 40 weighed 38lbs.

Posted: Feb 3, 2008 at 12:14 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
Putting a shorter shock is going to add a few degrees rake to your front end. Every angle in a suspension system is important and you're not going to change one angle without effecting others.
This is why I am lowering the 40s aswell. all fox 40s are internally adjustable from 6 to 8 inches in half inch increments. My freind did the same thing with his v10 ( he has 7 in the front with fox 40s and 8 in the back with a dhx air.) and it is the best feeling dh bike I have ever ridden. It doesnt mess up the levarage ratio or the vpp placement. you can adjust the dhx air to fix all this. And lowering the BB is definately not a trend however the 24 inch wheel thing is. Another thing, I am a rider that can go faster with 7 inches than 8. I would rather have a bike pedal well than an inch more of bump absorption. I try to take smooth fast flowy lines instead of just ramming through the trail.
o ya and my vp weighs 37 with the coil

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018613
Mobile Version of Website