Trek crank questions

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 2, 2016 at 9:56 Quote
Was wondering if anyone knows what size replacement crank I would need for a 2016 trek fuel ex. 68/73, etc...? Just trying to swap out the stocks on my 7 for some lighter ones if anyone has a recommendation on that too.

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2016 at 21:35 Quote
From what I can find the 2016 Trek Fuel EX 7 uses a PF89.5 bottom bracket that fits a 24mm diameter crank spindle. The bike also uses a 142x12 rear hub, so I would guess it has a 73mm BB shell.

So you can fit any crankset that has a 24mm diameter crank spindle that fits a 73mm BB shell without changing your bottom bracket out (mostly Shimano).

If you want to run a different crankset with a 24/22mm diameter crank spindle (SRAM/Truvativ) or a crankset with a 30mm diameter spindle you will need to get a different bottom bracket. You can see bottom bracket options on the Real World Cycling website. http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id258.html

Race face also has some fit options if you want to change your BB and cranks together.

Posted: May 17, 2016 at 18:03 Quote
Just found out from trek that it is a BB90 proprietary BB, but anything other than a BB30 crankset will retrofit with the current press fit bb. I still dont know if its a 30 or a 24 spindle thought. any thoughts?

Posted: May 17, 2016 at 19:04 Quote
CRUmbach wrote:
Just found out from trek that it is a BB90 proprietary BB, but anything other than a BB30 crankset will retrofit with the current press fit bb. I still dont know if its a 30 or a 24 spindle thought. any thoughts?

your current setup is only compatible with 24mm Shimano HollowTech 2 or RaceFace X-Type cranks. If you want to run SRAM/Truvativ GXP cranks, you'll need to use different seals which are required for the tapered 24 to 22mm spindle. There is more information about BB90 here and here

O+
Posted: May 17, 2016 at 19:38 Quote
The 2016 Fuel EX does not use a BB90 bottom bracket, it uses a pretty standard pressfit PF92. The BB90 is used on Trek road frames, and the BB95 was used on previous year Fuel EX carbon frames as well as current Remedy carbon frames. The alloy frames have never used the proprietary BB, so you can run pretty much whatever crank you want as long as you get the proper pressfit BB to go with it.

Posted: May 17, 2016 at 19:57 Quote
singletracker wrote:
The 2016 Fuel EX does not use a BB90 bottom bracket, it uses a pretty standard pressfit PF92. The BB90 is used on Trek road frames, and the BB95 was used on previous year Fuel EX carbon frames as well as current Remedy carbon frames. The alloy frames have never used the proprietary BB, so you can run pretty much whatever crank you want as long as you get the proper pressfit BB to go with it.

Ah yes, Trek's website shows PF89.5, which is listed with BB86/92, according to this chart. If I'm not mistaken, compatibility remains the same for Shimano and RaceFace X-Type; but if he wants to run a GXP crank, he'll need a completely different bottom bracket.

edit: it's not confusing at all: 86, 89.5 and 91.5 are 92, not 90/95. Facepalm

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010767
Mobile Version of Website