Dust seal keeps coming out on command post, any ideas

PB Forum :: Specialized
Dust seal keeps coming out on command post, any ideas
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2016 at 19:33 Quote
see picture:
command post problem

i have taken the top of the post apart and resealed the seal, but after a few uses it gets pulled out, not sure what to do about this ? I could try and just replace it ? but there does not seem to be anything wrong with it. anyone seen this before ? was not sure if this belonged in here or the mechanics area.

Posted: Apr 4, 2016 at 9:15 Quote
First I would make sure the seal is lubricated and sliding smoothly on the post. If that is good its possible you have a bushing issue. Is there excessive play in the shaft? That could cause the seal to pop out. I would recommend rebuilding with new seals.

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2016 at 11:14 Quote
Thanks for the advice, yeah I lubed up everything, might give it one more shot. not having too much luck finding a seal kit online

Posted: Apr 4, 2016 at 12:30 Quote
Might try here:

http://bestbike.de/webshop/specialized-command-post-ir-service-kit-interne-kabelf%C3%BChrung-s2020526/dp/120309

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2016 at 11:53 Quote
If the dust wiper is lubed with slick honey or similar, press the dust wiper back into place and use eelctrical tape to keep from backing out. Make sure the outside of the dust wiper is clean and dry before applying tape. Keep the tape fairly taught and you will be good to go.

The correct fix is to get a new dust wipe and seal head kit.

Posted: Apr 16, 2016 at 14:18 Quote
Hay any luck sorting it out? My seal started doing the same thing 2 days ago. It was all nicely lubed up and in mint working order and just decided it wouldn't stay down. Ive cleaned it and tried a few things, tape is the next thing i guess. But the post's only 4months old.

Posted: Mar 25, 2017 at 13:20 Quote
I had the same problem but what I did was carfully put hot glue on the outside of the dust wiper and I haven't had any problems since.

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2017 at 20:01 Quote
I had the same problem. Took it to the shop and they pushed it back down into place and put some finish line suspension spray on it. Cycled the dropper a few times, and haven't had a problem since. I bought some after that and use it every couple of months on both my dropper and my fork/shocks.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 21:20 Quote
How old is the post? You should work with your shop to get it back to Specialized to be serviced. It's a fairly common issue on Command Post.

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2017 at 14:30 Quote
It's a known issue. Warranty replace. Spec'd sent us a handful to fix ones on bikes we sold. If you don't replace the wiper, it'll just keep happening as soon as it gets just a bit dry.

And there's never, ever a reason to send these back to Spec'd. It's a grand total of 6 minutes to fix these things. We don't charge AT ALL for ANY Command Post service if you buy the bike from us. They are just so damn easy to deal with. Very few o-rings, valve core, clean and lube... they work really well.

mk

O+
Posted: May 25, 2017 at 19:42 Quote
Mine did it even after rebuild. I gave up and wrapped Tyvek tape criss-cross over the seal. It's held ever since. People ask me what the hell it is and I just tell them it's a cob-job that works.

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 14:41 Quote
just happened to my post. Slick honey the area and then while pressing the seal back into place i stuck a ziptie to "burp" cause when i tried to push the seal back it would pop out still from air trapping between.

Posted: Jan 9, 2018 at 10:27 Quote
Gnarbenson wrote:
just happened to my post. Slick honey the area and then while pressing the seal back into place i stuck a ziptie to "burp" cause when i tried to push the seal back it would pop out still from air trapping between.

Burping the seal with the ziptie worked for me too. Sprayed it with a little Teflon lube also, hasn't popped back out yet.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 11:03 Quote
How did you push the seal back in? I'm having the same issue.

O+
Posted: May 8, 2018 at 15:51 Quote
You need a new seal head with a new seal. It's a warranty issue. Don't put it back in it'll just pop out again.

mk

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013973
Mobile Version of Website