Official Kelowna and Westbank Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Kelowna and Westbank Thread
Posted: Feb 26, 2019 at 7:46 Quote
Just wondering if there are any other ladies on here from Kelowna? I wouldn't mind finding someone or a few more people to ride with Smile

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 15:03 Quote
Missed the MTBCO AGM last night. Any Gillard news/update?

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 19:12 Quote
mennotele wrote:

- Gillard parking lot is in, kiosk and washroom to be installed this spring.
- Logging is happening now
- Working towards getting a climber to 5k, we want picks in the ground by late fall.
- Membership numbers are pitiful and the community needs to step up if they want things to happen up here.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 21:21 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:
mennotele wrote:

- Working towards getting a climber to 5k, we want picks in the ground by late fall.
- Membership numbers are pitiful and the community needs to step up if they want things to happen up here.

What was membership numbers for 2018? Not to rub it in but NOCS was at just over 800 members in '18... So if Kelowna us way less with 2-3 x the population there is a total disconnect it less riders.

Unfortunate, Kelowna, C-Okanagan has a sweet scene, I support you guys as much as I can.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:47 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
k-towntrailryder wrote:
mennotele wrote:

What was membership numbers for 2018? Not to rub it in but NOCS was at just over 800 members in '18... So if Kelowna us way less with 2-3 x the population there is a total disconnect it less riders.

Unfortunate, Kelowna, C-Okanagan has a sweet scene, I support you guys as much as I can.

We know your numbers and ours are bad...

Revy - 600
Nocs - 800
Paca - 300
Mtbco - 120
West kelowna trail crew - 40

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:53 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:
ridayobike wrote:
k-towntrailryder wrote:

Revy - 600
Nocs - 800
Paca - 300
Mtbco - 120

Yah it's weird, I dont know their member #'s but small towns like Nelson, Squamish, Pemby, Salmon Arm with not a ton of population are going off, have been for years, tons of new trails lots of volunteers, government money.... Really depends on how big the scene is in some towns.... Biking is huge in some of these communities, plus a lot of them marketed hard to get tourists there.... Membership #'s isn't everything. With cost of insurance it's not a big money maker anyways.... It's all about making a big scene, getting ppl pumped.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 9:56 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
k-towntrailryder wrote:
ridayobike wrote:

Revy - 600
Nocs - 800
Paca - 300
Mtbco - 120

Yah it's weird, I dont know their member #'s but small towns like Nelson, Squamish, Pemby, Salmon Arm with not a ton of population are going off, have been for years, tons of new trails lots of volunteers, government money.... Really depends on how big the scene is in some towns.... Biking is huge in some of these communities, plus a lot of them marketed hard to get tourists there.... Membership #'s isn't everything. With cost of insurance it's not a big money maker anyways.... It's all about making a big scene, getting ppl pumped.

Insurance rates are not directly effected by membership numbers, membership does directly relate to annual revenue. Unlike grants which are not predictable, membership is very predictable assuming the club continues to do good things and continues to be community driven.

Including our events and some basic trailbuilding needs it costs about 5 grand each year to run the club which is equivalent to 170 single memberships. Any mtbco membership purchased beyond that buys 2m of new trail per membership.

I worked for the RCA last summer and they invested $50 000 into 2 fulltime paid staff and 2 Parttime paid staff. Mind you they also have the CBT to pull funds from which isnt something we have access too but we have industry, tourism and population numbers that they dont.....there is no excuse.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
Post info. I’ll take a Kelowna membership please

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:

https://www.mtbco.ca/memberships

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 11:21 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:
vernonjeff wrote:

https://www.mtbco.ca/memberships

I'm signing up today too, Vaginal - Jeff inspired me.. You guys do good work down there, trails are sick... LUv Kelowna, full of duches like XB... Kelownas sikkk.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 11:22 Quote
Speaking of which, how close is Knox till I can come down and rutt the sh#t out of the frost mudd?

Asking for a friend, lol

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 11:43 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
Speaking of which, how close is Knox till I can come down and rutt the sh#t out of the frost mudd?

Asking for a friend, lol

Still a few months out probably....

I'm headed there Monday for a site walk with the city, I'll let you know, still a bunch of snow.

About the only thing worth riding right now is the velosolutions pumptrack in westbank.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 15:07 Quote
I'm a now a new member.

What is chicks with sticks? I don't think it means what I think it means.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:
ridayobike wrote:

Asking for a friend, lol

Still a few months out probably....

I'm headed there Monday for a site walk with the city, I'll let you know, still a bunch of snow.

About the only thing worth riding right now is the velosolutions pumptrack in westbank.

Hummmm... my HT trail/dirt pumper bike will be ready to roll tomorrow. Maybe a road trip out west this weekend.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 17:08 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:
ridayobike wrote:
k-towntrailryder wrote:

Revy - 600
Nocs - 800
Paca - 300
Mtbco - 120

Thanks for getting back Andrew. Crazy low membership numbers. It's weird because I think there are plenty of people mountain biking in Kelowna. The Crawford parking lot is getting busier every year. I think the main problem is that people don't realize what the mountain bike club does for the community. This is not a criticism of the club and the hard work of the volunteers. At work today I was talking with some guys I ride with and most are not members of the club. I think if you are a regular mountain biker in Kelowna you should be a member of MTBCO. AT the same time I think MTBCO needs to communicate more to the community and get people psyched on what is going in with trail development and how locals can get involved.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021881
Mobile Version of Website