Official Kelowna and Westbank Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Kelowna and Westbank Thread
Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 22:38 Quote
I'm a trail contractor and dont want to start throwing numbers out there but with zero community involvement we'd need about 2000 single memberships sold.

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 8:33 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:
I'm a trail contractor and dont want to start throwing numbers out there but with zero community involvement we'd need about 2000 single memberships sold.

Thanks for the update. That's some pretty cool news about OK MTN Park.
I guess the next question is how can we get involved to make some of this happen?

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 15:29 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:

As a non white collar guy such as myself, what exactly is it that I can do to help?

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 15:57 Quote
dfbland wrote:
k-towntrailryder wrote:

As a non white collar guy such as myself, what exactly is it that I can do to help?

I read that as non collar white guy....

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 16:46 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
dfbland wrote:
k-towntrailryder wrote:

I read that as non collar white guy....

I just about had a heart attack

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 17:26 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:

Yea that's a fair chunk of change to come up with ...why can't the bike shops help promote the club and bring in members? They sell the bikes that people ride on the trails the club maintains, I spent a couple years in Cranbrook, and when I walked into one of the bike shops and bought something the staff asked me if I was part of the local club and if not would I be interested in signing up and pointed me the the direction I needed to go to get membership.

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 17:44 Quote
Knox trail update!

The bad news is that the trail condition sign will remain at CLOSED a while longer until more of the trails can dry out. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

The good news is that lower Shale Trail (from the road crossing down) has dried out significantly and is now OK to ride. However, the two larger north facing berms near the top are soft and squishy, and there is significant rutting, so proceed with caution.

[Edited] - Almost good news... Apex Trail has also dried out significantly, so you can climb Knox now without causing trail damage. Unfortunately, once you get to the intersection of Apex and Shale, there are no good options. Can't go left because Shale is uni-directional down; straight towards the ponds leads to snow and mud; right on Shale also leads to snow and mud. So we wait a little longer.

Maybe bad news... there are lower temps and showers in the forecast, so any amount of rain will quickly turn these trails back to a muddy mess, and we'll have to re-evaluate, and again wait for drier warmer weather.

Lastly, Environment Canada has issued a Special air quality statement: "The Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy, in collaboration with the Interior Health Authority, has issued a Dust Advisory for Kelowna due to high concentrations of coarse particulates, which are expected to persist until there is a change in current weather conditions. Persons with chronic underlying medical conditions should postpone strenuous exercise until the advisory is lifted. Staying indoors and in air - conditioned spaces helps to reduce particulate exposure. Exposure is particularly a concern for infants, the elderly and those who have diabetes, and lung or heart disease."

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 16:20 Quote
Hello everyone, I'm new this forum and kind of new to Kelowna still. Does anybody want to go for a ride? Or any info on group rides happening. I have an all mountain bike and dh.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
karlheldt wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm new this forum and kind of new to Kelowna still. Does anybody want to go for a ride? Or any info on group rides happening. I have an all mountain bike and dh.

Hey Karl, welcome to Kelowna. Riding season is just getting started here as we wait for snow to melt and mud to dry. Knox Mountain is your best bet right now, take Apex up and Shale and/or Simpson down. They're in good shape now, with the odd soft spot. Rose Valley is coming along and should be better after a few more days of sun.

Group rides haven't started yet, but we'll be posting a list on our Facebook page as soon as it's available.

If you want to go for a ride with a local, let me know.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 18:27 Quote
henrifournier wrote:
karlheldt wrote:

Hey Karl, welcome to Kelowna. Riding season is just getting started here as we wait for snow to melt and mud to dry. Knox Mountain is your best bet right now, take Apex up and Shale and/or Simpson down. They're in good shape now, with the odd soft spot. Rose Valley is coming along and should be better after a few more days of sun.

Group rides haven't started yet, but we'll be posting a list on our Facebook page as soon as it's available.

I was up Knox on Sunday Simpson is not really ready to ride the upper half is good and from the second cross walk down is okay but from the hill to the doubles is a mess there is huge ruts and from people being impatient

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
Rode Simpson Tuesday and it was fine. Shout out to the fella doing some trail work on it. Then went up to the top and rode entire Shale trail and it is a little rutted but completely dry.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
Any updates on Rose Valley?

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 13:30 Quote
henrifournier wrote:
karlheldt wrote:

Thanks, I signed up to mtbco.

I'll send you a message and maybe we can go for a shred.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 14:21 Quote
bowness8 wrote:
Rode Simpson Tuesday and it was fine. Shout out to the fella doing some trail work on it. Then went up to the top and rode entire Shale trail and it is a little rutted but completely dry.

That was me on Simpson... more to be done. I'm hoping to get out again a little later, and we're planning a trail day for next weekend (Simpson, Shale, climber around reservoir to Apex). Details to come.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 14:24 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
I was up Knox on Sunday Simpson is not really ready to ride the upper half is good and from the second cross walk down is okay but from the hill to the doubles is a mess there is huge ruts and from people being impatient
Simpson is OK now, but rutted at the top, working on getting rid of those.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022313
Mobile Version of Website