Official Kelowna and Westbank Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Kelowna and Westbank Thread
Author Message
Posted: Jun 9, 2019 at 18:03 Quote
Ok as the builder of most of the rose valley trails and a participant in smith creek improvements and also one of the directors of WKTCS; we( i mean all of us in the valley) have to stop any rogue building on the westside.Great trails are waiting with the total blessing and approval of rec BC. But we have to stop independent operators or the money available will go to decommissioning trail instead of creating it. please be patient. The improvements in smith creek are small foreshadowing of what is to happen if we could all just be patient. Thanks.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 9:09 Quote
Hey Doug, what's happened now?

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
I know there's some building going on as soon has you are on holy pail it looks like someone is trying to build a road gap and then this weekend there was a ghetto looking wood ramp there in the same place. And to the right of the road gap someone guys built some dirt jumps seen them there probably 3 weekends in a row

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 18:10 Quote
yeah so where we are right now is parks and rec will do a trail assessment in smith creek area and then give us a list of remediations before the trails can be approved. So any new trails, and that includes all westside, that are built from this moment going forward will become a liability under the stewardship and will be removed costing time and money that we would rather put into new trails. Our relationship with the gov is very good right now and these independent trails make us look bad and threaten that relationship.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 18:35 Quote
oldschool24 wrote:
yeah so where we are right now is parks and rec will do a trail assessment in smith creek area and then give us a list of remediations before the trails can be approved. So any new trails, and that includes all westside, that are built from this moment going forward will become a liability under the stewardship and will be removed costing time and money that we would rather put into new trails. Our relationship with the gov is very good right now and these independent trails make us look bad and threaten that relationship.
.

Maybe you guys should put a sign up on the warm up and were holy pail starts. Stating what you just said.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:42 Quote
At any rate, spread the word, with the proposed development to the east of Smith Creek ride area, getting the trails sanctioned sooner rather than later would be a good thing.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 13:00 Quote
Great news that the logging is finished in Gillard. I've been up a few times and the trails are in great shape.
Sorry but I'm not on Facebook (never will be) and was wondering if there was any news/progress/updates on the climb trail there?
I heard through friends there is a build day this weekend.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 13:36 Quote
mennotele wrote:
Great news that the logging is finished in Gillard. I've been up a few times and the trails are in great shape.
Sorry but I'm not on Facebook (never will be) and was wondering if there was any news/progress/updates on the climb trail there?
I heard through friends there is a build day this weekend.

Yup, think they're working on a section of kerplop that got logged.

Honestly, climb is a next year thing at this point.

Just trying to get everything lined up for a kiosk and washroom install then a re assessment as the first one was poorly done and done 5 year ago before the logging.

We are a legal recsite now which offers a fair amount of protection from industry. The guys were up yesterday installing no shooting signs as well because you can no longer discharge a firearm up there due to the rec site status.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 14:33 Quote
mennotele wrote:
Great news that the logging is finished in Gillard. I've been up a few times and the trails are in great shape.
Sorry but I'm not on Facebook (never will be) and was wondering if there was any news/progress/updates on the climb trail there?
I heard through friends there is a build day this weekend.

AWESOME

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 15:59 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:
mennotele wrote:
Great news that the logging is finished in Gillard. I've been up a few times and the trails are in great shape.
Sorry but I'm not on Facebook (never will be) and was wondering if there was any news/progress/updates on the climb trail there?
I heard through friends there is a build day this weekend.

Yup, think they're working on a section of kerplop that got logged.

Honestly, climb is a next year thing at this point.

Just trying to get everything lined up for a kiosk and washroom install then a re assessment as the first one was poorly done and done 5 year ago before the logging.

We are a legal recsite now which offers a fair amount of protection from industry. The guys were up yesterday installing no shooting signs as well because you can no longer discharge a firearm up there due to the rec site status.

Sweet no more risk of getting shot while riding bikes.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 18:21 Quote
Anyone lose a Google phone in Rose in the past while? Found one today on No Left. Turns out the provider is Koodoo so I turned into the kiosk at the Mall in Kelowna.

Took a brush trimmer to No Left and and Sweet Street. Be back up to finish Daze and Jabba over the next few days.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 15:36 Quote
Hey I just moved here from Edmonton and was pretty involved with building new trail/major maintenance projects out there. I am looking to get connected to community out here. Any recommendations on who to connect with.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 18:29 Quote
mtnbikermitch wrote:
Hey I just moved here from Edmonton and was pretty involved with building new trail/major maintenance projects out there. I am looking to get connected to community out here. Any recommendations on who to connect with.

k-towntrailryder is probably the best one to answer that the trail building/maintenance question. You can also contact MTBco via their Facebook page. If you are looking to get into group rides, Fresh Air, Cyclepath, and Sovereign Cycle are good places to start. I am sure I am missing a bike shop. Sorry I don't have a ton of info, but hope that helps.

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
You guys need to celebrate your rogue builders.

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 at 17:16 Quote
mtnbikermitch wrote:
Hey I just moved here from Edmonton and was pretty involved with building new trail/major maintenance projects out there. I am looking to get connected to community out here. Any recommendations on who to connect with.

I'm out of town till late fall so I cant help us too much but I'll PM you Cam's email, he needs a ton of help up gillard with clean up and other stuff.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024902
Mobile Version of Website