Official Kelowna and Westbank Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Kelowna and Westbank Thread
Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 15:25 Quote
Sun Peaks Ditti

So I want to say that Sun Peak Bike park is not the same as when I was there last time. that was about 2012 i think. It was all tech and wood with only a few trails. Most of those trails are still there or have had some pretty big upgrades. Also this trip i had an 11 and 12 year old with me so we took it easy on the double 'b' s and just concentrated on the blacks and under..

So the first thing i will say about sun peaks is that it is pretty braided. You grab a section of trail here and there and then have to pick another trail. At this moment there was very few top to bottoms.

The hills is open 10-7 every night...

Bonus weekends until the end of September.

The village is huge and has a lot to offer.

There is also a campground called Heffley Lake that is a government campground which wasn't bad except the outhouse could gag a maggot. Nice little lake there

At the top

Level up is a nice little flowy green that will just make you relax. Good one to start with with nothing to worry about.

Gummy Bear, Barn Burner and Mach tech trails. These have some pretty amazing steep out of control shoots. At Silver star i think these would be rated black. Mach is the easiest, Then Gummy then Barn. These do not go to the bottom. you need to pick another trails a few minutes down.

Spicy Taco is just an little tech trail to get you to the mid point for other trails.

On the other side you have Route 66 which also links into Steam shovel and a plethora of other trails as it winds down. It is a fast trail that S'es its way under the lift. Should maybe be a green except some of the corners are so tight you almost have to lock it up. the issue with route 66 os it goes from top to bottom and its hard to get off of. you also tend to get funneled into it. i was pretty sick of this one by the end of 2 days

Steam Shovel is an big old jump trail. It is being rebuilt and isnt done yet but the part that is done is extremely well done. There is a drop off the road though you need to look before you leap as it is huge and you need to gap it a little. There is nothing at SS this big. the rock gap after and a step up on the same line also make most places look like they are for beginners. Besides that the trail is all doable for a 12 year old and is a lot like what a-line used to be.

DH is a short trail with a couple of steep shoots and brakes bumps after that will challenge ya.

Cat Trax is a pretty easy little dh track that will make you remember the old days of when you first started riding SH

Switchero is a long green. Good for an end of the day run when you are out of gas but you dont want to quit.

Sugar - OMG i loved this trail. it is an old skool bike trail that doesnt seem like it belongs in a park. Super shitty to get to and lots of surprised here and there. nothing that isnt doable for a 12 year old.

The bottom or mid point trails

Keener is a short steep rooty shitty trail that will make you work for it.

Root Dog is what would happen if LTG and Double dog had a baby. This was one of my favorite little shoots.

Bermalaide is another fast littel flow line. It is stupid fast so enjoy the speed

Canada Line will be one that is on rinse and repeat. Fast, Jumpy, Flowey and well done.

Kaboom to honey drop. Not much to this one. We kind of ended up on it by accident and did just the 2 sections.

Arm Pump is a short little trail at the bottom that agian remind you of a bush trail that you should have to shuttle to get to. Lots of fun

dirt jumps under the lift is a progression park. the lines on the left aren't hard if you are careful to not over shoot but the ones on the right are probably going to eat you.

Biker Cross: check you lines. The left lines are not terrible if you are careful to not over shoot but the lines ont he right will eat you.

Resurrection: Fun little flow trail sort of. worth a boo. my kids love this one.

Conclusion

Defiantly worth a couple of days. Really fun but they need to sort out the route 66 issue which finishing Steam Shovel will help with.

They seems to not be dumming it down. They seem to be keeping it just as dum as you want to get which is nice as we see small hills at other kills get routed around. They seem to be on the right track.

I love Sun Peaks...

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 17:19 Quote
Pretty funny you posted all this in the Kelowna thread...

Sick write up reviews Vaginal-Jeff ... You missed your calling, if your day job don't work out, hit up Pinkbike for a writers gig

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 17:30 Quote
To many strangers in vrt right now. Causing social anxiety.

Posted: Aug 15, 2019 at 19:29 Quote
Thanks for the great review Jeff I will have to head out there before season's end

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 11:08 Quote
I found a silver ring in the smith creek parking lot this morning. I would like to get it back to its owner. Can you spread the word? The owner would need to provide a description as I believe the ring is somewhat valuable.

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 11:27 Quote
mtnbikermitch wrote:
I found a silver ring in the smith creek parking lot this morning. I would like to get it back to its owner. Can you spread the word? The owner would need to provide a description as I believe the ring is somewhat valuable.
maybe inform the bike shops this thread is kinda dead.. also MTBco has a Facebook page maybe post there too

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 22:02 Quote
Hey guys, going to be driving through Kelowna this weekend and staying at a friends place. I’ll have a day to ride some park. Trying to decide between silver star or big white. Never ridden either. I ride pretty much everything but my dh bike is out of commission so I’ll be on my trail bike.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 6:08 Quote
Johnbron65 wrote:
Hey guys, going to be driving through Kelowna this weekend and staying at a friends place. I’ll have a day to ride some park. Trying to decide between silver star or big white. Never ridden either. I ride pretty much everything but my dh bike is out of commission so I’ll be on my trail bike.

Silverstar is where it's at, wider selection of trails and endless fun. Big white is still pretty new and it's a work and progress.

We have a bike theft issue here from all the junkies so while you are in Kelowna don't leave your bike unattended someone will steal it.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 13:14 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Johnbron65 wrote:

Silverstar is where it's at, wider selection of trails and endless fun. Big white is still pretty new and it's a work and progress.

We have a bike theft issue here from all the junkies so while you are in Kelowna don't leave your bike unattended someone will steal it.

Ya, Silver Star!... Go ask the guys in the Vernon pinkbike thread if they have any suggestions.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 14:36 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
mtnbikermitch wrote:
maybe inform the bike shops this thread is kinda dead.. also MTBco has a Facebook page maybe post there too

Thanks for the feedback, I messaged Sovereign, MTBco, and West Kelowna Trail Crew on Facebook.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
Great JKW article on Kamloops on the Pinkbike front page now.

Pretty inspiring regarding the trail advocacy and the culture of their mountain bike community.

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 11:50 Quote
Hey! I just moved to kelowna and I'm just starting at UBCO this semester. What are some good trails you guys would recommend?

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
l8igz wrote:
Hey! I just moved to kelowna and I'm just starting at UBCO this semester. What are some good trails you guys would recommend?

Vernon

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 16:02 Quote
l8igz wrote:

Smith Creek in west kelowna
Knox is good for a quick rip
Crawford is good, especially connector
And Rose Valley is alright if you like more XC it has alot of ups and downs

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 16:07 Quote
jaydawg69 wrote:
l8igz wrote:

Vernon

LOL!!!!!!

North Vancouver sh#t starter, too funny.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013647
Mobile Version of Website