Official Kelowna and Westbank Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Kelowna and Westbank Thread
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 18:37 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:
dfbland wrote:
Trail report? Anything rideable right now as the melt hits? Someone was asking about Smith Creek's conditions and I figured I'd preemptively ask about those trails as to avoid him rutting the trail or slipping on ice/Snow... Or I'll drive up and check myself if nobody else has (from Oyama, the long haul).

Went for a quick drive to Smith since I live close, parking lot still has snow and the immediate area is over 50% covered in snow
I say mid April before it’s semi rideable

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 18:59 Quote
I can remember a year (2009 maybe) where we were riding addiction March 10th.

Miss that trail...

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 19:08 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:

Miss that trail...
What ever happened to postal did the motos wreck it or was it a government thing that said you cant build there

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 19:08 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
k-towntrailryder wrote:

Miss that trail...
What ever happened to postal did the motos wreck it or was it a government thing that said you cant build there

Trails got run down, nobody rebuilt it, mtbers stopped riding there.

Same deal with powers, honestly only ourselves to blame.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 21:03 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
k-towntrailryder wrote:

Miss that trail...

Trails got run down, nobody rebuilt it, mtbers stopped riding there.

Same deal with powers, honestly only ourselves to blame.

Yup I agree with you there, the wall ride on addiction still stands though a guy that I worked with last year hit it on his dirt bike

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 15:10 Quote
Rode the fatbike up Rose this morning and that was the right bike for the ride. I'd guess 7 to 10 days before it will be rideable with a trail bike.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 20:08 Quote
Fat bikes don’t count.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 20:34 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
Fat bikes don’t count.

Not everyone will turn down a fatty

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 20:54 Quote
bowness8 wrote:
Rode the fatbike up Rose this morning and that was the right bike for the ride. I'd guess 7 to 10 days before it will be rideable with a trail bike.

What’s rose like? Out of all the years here I have never ridden there trail forks makes it look like a lot of up with minimal down

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 20:55 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
vernonjeff wrote:
Fat bikes don’t count.

Not everyone will turn down a fatty

Hey they need loving too lol

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 15:28 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
bowness8 wrote:

What’s rose like? Out of all the years here I have never ridden there trail forks makes it look like a lot of up with minimal down

I find knowing its history helpful in linking loops up. So historically it was just a lake loop with some (I'm assuming) rideable trails on the east side of the lake but it wasn't like it is now.

Then the west side of the lake got developed which consists of a big up to some quality downs. City on the edge and no left turned are great, personally I find jabba too straight given the incredible terrain all around but at the same time it offers a very different experience to the other 2 trails.

So soon as these trails got discovered several short climbable trails were built on the east side of the lake as well as a few more downs to make that side a whole lot more mtb friendly.

So in a nutshell, you can ride the lake loop early and late season, ride just the westside or just the east side or like it all up.

It is pretty pedaly but the descents are good and worth the effort.

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 16:01 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
bowness8 wrote:

I find knowing its history helpful in linking loops up. So historically it was just a lake loop with some (I'm assuming) rideable trails on the east side of the lake but it wasn't like it is now.

Then the west side of the lake got developed which consists of a big up to some quality downs. City on the edge and no left turned are great, personally I find jabba too straight given the incredible terrain all around but at the same time it offers a very different experience to the other 2 trails.

So soon as these trails got discovered several short climbable trails were built on the east side of the lake as well as a few more downs to make that side a whole lot more mtb friendly.

So in a nutshell, you can ride the lake loop early and late season, ride just the westside or just the east side or like it all up.

It is pretty pedaly but the descents are good and worth the effort.

I watched the videos on trail forks for city on the edge and no left turned and they look like amazing trails a bit out of my skill level though been riding a hardtail for the last 5 years and haven’t done much tech where would be a good spot to start ?

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 17:16 Quote
Try jabbarocky and RSVP, otherwise just go get lost for a few hours

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 18:53 Quote
Jabbarocky is too straight and very meh. City on... is alright but it's a long way up and it's signature feature is so low forget about riding under it if your taller than 5'8". No Left Turn Unstoned is the trail worth the climb on that side of the lake IMO. 2 cents

Better yet just go ride Vapor to Connector to Rocky Screech in the Crawford area and call it done.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008372
Mobile Version of Website