Official Kelowna and Westbank Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Kelowna and Westbank Thread
O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 20:04 Quote
Is Smith Creek rideable?

bowness8 wrote:
Knox is good. Rose is good including the lake loop. Higher trails on the north side of the reservoir are good as high as no left turn.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 20:18 Quote
mully wrote:
Is Smith Creek rideable?

bowness8 wrote:
Knox is good. Rose is good including the lake loop. Higher trails on the north side of the reservoir are good as high as no left turn.

i heard its pretty snowed in

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 22:20 Quote
I'll confess, I haven't seen it myself but fella I follow on strava did multiple laps up to the reward coming down the gully twice and once down huck to flat. He did title his ride "snowy ride", so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Could be he's a keener and just made it work despite the conditions but I reckon if it sucked, he would not have gone back up again. Rose or Knox better options in all likelihood.

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2020 at 7:17 Quote
mully wrote:
Is Smith Creek rideable?

bowness8 wrote:

FOMO is intermittently snow covered but very rideable. I didn't go any higher because of increasing snow depth.

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2020 at 10:19 Quote
Thanks guys. I think I will try my luck down in the South end of the valley.

mennotele wrote:
mully wrote:
Is Smith Creek rideable?

bowness8 wrote:

FOMO is intermittently snow covered but very rideable. I didn't go any higher because of increasing snow depth.

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
Hey what tires you’al running on the Slopes with snow n ice ?

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
Already wrote:

Same as on dirt. Kenda Pinner Pros at the moment.

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 13:44 Quote
I have WTB convicts on my bike I just run 5ish PSI less

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 14:18 Quote
@f*ckingsteve where did you get your Kenda's? online or here locally?
Better than minions?
Do they roll ok or are they on the slow side?

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 14:20 Quote
Already wrote:

This is the best winter tire I have ever run:
photo

Seriously, it want traction on snow and ice, find a tire with big square blocks and put sheet metal screws in from the backside.

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 14:25 Quote
mtnbikermitch wrote:
@f*ckingsteve where did you get your Kenda's? online or here locally?
Better than minions?
Do they roll ok or are they on the slow side?

ChainLine can special order them. I find them really good. I run the gravity casings (AGC) so they're heavy but whatever, I'd be slower with flats. First tires I've run that I got through a whole season with 0 flats. I'll never run anything else now.

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 16:25 Quote
Whoa ! Mitch what do you do about the screw heads n tube on the inside ?

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 16:33 Quote
Lots of different tricks out there.
Its a project that definitely requires some DIY spirit.
I have played around with gorilla tape and using a standard tube.
I have heard others using an old tire as a liner, or old thick tubes.

Next go around I would try to install each screw with an adhesive/sealant and run it tubeless.

Scroll down to video #3 for some inspiration
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/throwback-thursday-10-of-the-best-snow-edits.html

Expect to spend 2-3 hours to install 100-200 studs per tire, perhaps a little quicker as you gain experience with it.

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 at 15:34 Quote
Sorry about the hijack...
Carry on,
Thanks for the info...

Posted: Dec 9, 2020 at 17:06 Quote
Hey everyone, I've grown my 'N' from 2 to 6 bikes this year, with the intention of overhauling them all this winter. I've got a good home bike shop and plenty of experience but I'm no professional. I've never pulled a headset/fork, for instance, never worked on an internal hub shifter, have only reassembled a bottom bracket once, etc. I'm wondering if there's someone in the Kelowna area with lots of experience with bikes of all kinds that would be willing to come work on them with be sometime. I'd like suggestions of tools to buy, guidance on making the bikes I have cooler/safer/more reliable (they are all functional!) and then some help with some work I haven't done before, like suspension maintenance or rebuilding a Sturmey Archer hub! Other people have been leaving me bikes to fix too so there's plenty of fun to be had haha. I'll pay you of course!!

My stable:
1974 Raleigh Sports DL22 (stuck in gear, needs hub rebuild mostly)
1989 Miyata Country Runner (nothing needed, just have some new tires on the way)
1991 Miele Lupa (Runs great, currently apart for new cables and bar tape, would like to add finishing touches to it, maybe rebuild bottom bracket)
2013 Trek Madone 3.1 (just needs new bar tape and suggestions for a better seat/other upgrades)
2015 DeVinci Troy Carbon (New tires and brake pads on the way, suspension has NEVER been done)

On top of that I have in my possession:
a friends Opus mountain bike that just needs a brake bleed, I don't have the parts needed for Hayes.
A friends old CCM that needs the Sturmey Archer hub rebuild also and just general maintanence
a couple road bikes, a unicycle, etc...

Ideally you're a professional or experienced backyard bike mechanic with experience with bikes of all generations willing to share what you know!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019307
Mobile Version of Website