specialized pitch

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
specialized pitch
Posted: Feb 9, 2017 at 16:40 Quote
How would it be a downgrade from the pike in regards to dampening? Curious because the pike doesn't seem to have any either.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2017 at 22:52 Quote
The old pikes are pretty basic. I think the damper could be the same.

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2017 at 7:31 Quote
I was able to pick up the motion control unit for $60 a few years ago... I remember the oil lvl for the model year of the fork being a little low, idk if I had the wrong cartridge or what but just make sure the floodgate is just touching the oil. Kinda regret selling that fork but that's how it goes :/ I've ridden a few domains on rentals and they're heavy and heavily damped for DH and fr stuff. Maybe I run my fork super open but they would not be well suited for trail riding.

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 1:03 Quote
Still got the Pitch but I did upgrade from this :

2009 Specialized Pitch Comp Lyrik Solo Air

To this :
2016 Stumpjumper FSR Elite 650b

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 17:45 Quote
Question for the pitch community!

2011 Pitch Pro with "Custom Rockshox Sektor RL solo air" (as states on the specialized website)

I am wondering what is custom about it? Is damper oil quantity the same as the Rockshox 2011 service manual for the standard fork?

Link to the manual - quantities are on page 7

notice for the Rockshox RL it states multiple with different oil amount for the damper upper tube, one says 125, another says 120. Any clue as to what the difference is?

Thanks for any knowledge on this!

Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 9:51 Quote
I've always assumed "custom" just meant paint/decals.
The different damper oil levels might just be for different rider weight ranges.

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 19:31 Quote
Might've been tweaked internally -shim tuning (if shim are present), different port size, different damping springs (in case of poppet valves and so on)... this is most often done on rear shocks though, to match the damper to the bike's leverage rate and other things. Most likely paint/decals. Even if you don't have charts for the oil levels, it should be pretty easy to figure out what they should be - the fork should be able to compress fully, and damping should be consistent (i.e. all pistons/orifices/etc submerged in oil at all times, and there's enough free space for the oil to fit in the fork even in a fully compressed state). From what I quickly googled, the RL seems to be using a motion control damper, which looks like an open bath design to me, so you won't need to worry about oil getting sucked in a cartridge through its seals.

disclaimer - I probably don't know what I'm talking about, so a grain (or a few) of salt Big Grin

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 at 11:52 Quote
So i've either had the luckiest ebay buy ever or have bought a world of problems. I've just bought a 2008 pitch comp (though they claim 2010, its the blue one with pikes) all original apart from from elixrs instead of the rydes for £250 with only the shock needing a service (will replace with an rp23) and the rear wheel has some spokes missing

I've had my eye out for one for while and figured at that price I can upgrade for better parts than what I would have if bought at normal prices

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2017 at 13:54 Quote
Not a bad deal at all, you can drop a motion control into the pike no issue, and the stock wheels are pretty bad... I tacod one off a bad landing, and have heard similar stories. Other than that, replace what breaks and go from there.

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 at 14:24 Quote
rclugnut wrote:
Not a bad deal at all, you can drop a motion control into the pike no issue, and the stock wheels are pretty bad... I tacod one off a bad landing, and have heard similar stories. Other than that, replace what breaks and go from there.

Wheels will be the first thing, I'm kind of kicking myself for not buying a full slx 1x10 groupset for £150 but this bike was only listed today, for the motion control is this what I need to buy? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockShox-Forks-Reba-Revelation-Sektor-Recon-Pike-/272588501047?hash=item3f778a7037:g:A9kAAOSwjVVVoS-c

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2017 at 17:51 Quote
Looks like it, that seems to be the remote version, but a little bit of time with a file may do the trick.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 4:11 Quote
You might wanna keep an eye out for a lyrik rc2dh u-turn or a 36 or 55 rc3 ti or whatever (all 160mm). One of the best upgrades for the bike.... and offset bushings Big Grin

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 9:06 Quote
What's the widest tire/rim combo that you've heard of on the rear of the pitch? I'm guessing that "26+" tires with wide rims ( 2.8'' wtb ranger & internal 35mm asym rims ) won't quite fit, but I really wanna upgrade from the mavic 321s that I currently have Big Grin

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 9:13 Quote
Biggest I've run is 2.5 dhfs on sun mtx 33s (boat anchors I know) but they're only 26.5 internal per sun if they haven't changed them... I don't recall if they were tight or anything, but they're not nearly as wide as what you're looking for...

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 at 12:41 Quote
rclugnut wrote:
Biggest I've run is 2.5 dhfs on sun mtx 33s (boat anchors I know) but they're only 26.5 internal per sun if they haven't changed them... I don't recall if they were tight or anything, but they're not nearly as wide as what you're looking for...

I'm riding those same rims on my pitch currently with a 2.4" DHR II(the same width as old 2.5" tires from Maxxis). There is plenty of mud clearance on the 2008 pitch with this combo Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016352
Mobile Version of Website