specialized pitch

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
specialized pitch
Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 6:57 Quote
cgguy09 wrote:
Lwerewolf wrote:
cgguy09 wrote:

Also, based on my research, I think it's actually a 2010..... based on my component research....so that actually answers m question.

Don't know what the rest of your kit is, but a good 160mm will transform the bike. There should be plenty of straight steerer coil options - lyrik (preferably RC or RC2DH, not the "regular" RC2), 36 (make sure it's 2011+ RC2), a ton of old 'zochis, manitou, whatever.

As for the motion control - it's the damper cartridge (right side of the fork). AFAIK low-speed adjustable with a preset plastic spring blowoff.

Thanks for the reply,@Lwerewolf. I'll keep an eye on the Craigslist market place for a fork upgrade. but the 327 Uturns feels pretty good on my recent trips (2 of them on some moderate stuff).
In the mean time, should I try and track down and add the MoCo?

Check the price on the MoCo carts for your fork, and compare it to getting a used 160mm fork. If it's significantly less - might be worth it. I'm trying to find out what exactly is in the pike 327 by default at the moment.
What I forgot to ask is what's your use case for this bike - I assumed by default that you're gunning for a mini-DH capable bike (also known as enduro/freeride these days, lol), but if that's not the case, the 327 might be just fine. Can't comment on the MoCo upgrade vs. the current damper.

Any complaints from your current setup?

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 8:24 Quote
My 327 just had a cap on the compression side where mocro dropped in...

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=30476

I got mine from there I think they still have it...

This is the description I have in my email

Item #: 30476-142633
Description: Rock Shox Motion Control Dampers - '05+ Pike/Revelation, 09-11 Reba Motion Control Damper (Non Remote)
Quantity: 1 @ $63.00

Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 8:45 Quote
I agree with putting the money of upgrading your current fork, to swapping it out for a 160mm as well. I put a Marzocchi 55 on mine and it really improved the bike. I did a bunch of upgrades this year, that probably being my favorite. I felt the front was too low stock. The new fork didn't add much height, just enough. And along with a shorter stem, wider bars and new brakes, it's like a whole new bike.

Mine is an 09, I've had it for two years. I really like it, but have been tempted by some of the newer stuff. Really don't need them, i just like shiny new things lol.

In my experience, finding straight steerer 20mm forks took a bit of time, but they're out there. I wanted a lyric or Fox 36, but could find a good one. I'll keep looking this spring though, but I'm really happy with the 55. The Pitch with a 160mm fork is a great so it all bike. Climbs alright, great on trails, and I can jump it, take it to the bike park or even do resort riding.

Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 14:32 Quote
Lwerewolf wrote:
cgguy09 wrote:
Lwerewolf wrote:

Don't know what the rest of your kit is, but a good 160mm will transform the bike. There should be plenty of straight steerer coil options - lyrik (preferably RC or RC2DH, not the "regular" RC2), 36 (make sure it's 2011+ RC2), a ton of old 'zochis, manitou, whatever.

As for the motion control - it's the damper cartridge (right side of the fork). AFAIK low-speed adjustable with a preset plastic spring blowoff.

Thanks for the reply,@Lwerewolf. I'll keep an eye on the Craigslist market place for a fork upgrade. but the 327 Uturns feels pretty good on my recent trips (2 of them on some moderate stuff).
In the mean time, should I try and track down and add the MoCo?

Check the price on the MoCo carts for your fork, and compare it to getting a used 160mm fork. If it's significantly less - might be worth it. I'm trying to find out what exactly is in the pike 327 by default at the moment.
What I forgot to ask is what's your use case for this bike - I assumed by default that you're gunning for a mini-DH capable bike (also known as enduro/freeride these days, lol), but if that's not the case, the 327 might be just fine. Can't comment on the MoCo upgrade vs. the current damper.

Any complaints from your current setup?

I live in Seattle, so all the good stuff that is cheap disappears within a day from craigslist. I've seen some 150 mm RS Revelation shocks for around $200 (US). I got the bike for a little more than that price!

I'm just getting into mountain biking, I'll probably do some DH stuff in the summer when the snow melts at the local resorts. But, for the most part, I only get to ride down what I huff up. Currently, I'm just doing narrow paths & hills on the islands & the Olympic Peninsula.

FWIW, I took out the bike this weekend & it felt good. Both times I had an ascension of about 400 ft (sea level to the top of Bainbridge Island)

Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 14:34 Quote
rclugnut wrote:

Description: Rock Shox Motion Control Dampers - '05+ Pike/Revelation, 09-11 Reba Motion Control Damper (Non Remote)

Awesome, thanks! Yea, this is the source I keep coming across. I wanted to see if my LBS could pick it up but I might just get it from them.

I'm sure it comes with directions, but you didn't add any oil, did you?

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 15:49 Quote
cgguy09 wrote:
rclugnut wrote:

Awesome, thanks! Yea, this is the source I keep coming across. I wanted to see if my LBS could pick it up but I might just get it from them.

I'm sure it comes with directions, but you didn't add any oil, did you?

I didn't get any directions, and I replaced the main wipers and damper oil along with the lower oils. Basically you want the oil touching the bottom of the catrdridge as it drops in from the top. I think even tho I had an 08 with the 327 I used 09 pike with mo-cro levels which were a bit higher. And when you screwed it in you could see it just dipped in the oil.

RS should have manuals and oil charts online. It's a super simple swap out tho, just pull off the top cap, drop in oil and the damper and you're good to go.

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 8:47 Quote
Lwerewolf wrote:
cgguy09 wrote:
cgguy09 wrote:
Hey team,
First post on this website, but I've been lurking for a while. I just picked up a 2008 Comp. It's in pretty good shape, I'm the third owner and the first owner apparently upgraded a lot of the components...the 2nd owner knew nothing about them. I'll detail them later in case anyone is interested.

I do have a question about the front forks (still RockShox 327) I am wanting to add the motion control, but I'm confused which MoCo I actually need. I went to my LBS and the kid (literally a high schooler) couldn't figure it out. I've searched the thread and I know it's pretty much install and play, but I cannot determine which item I need. Based on some google searches, I see there are three options: One for the Reba/Revelation, Argyle (which I've read doesn't fit), and the one for the Reba '09-'11/Revelation '12-'15/Pike '09-'10. I'm assuming it's the third one, but since it doesn't mention the 08' Pike, I wanted to reach out to you experts first.

Thanks for the help & I'm really enjoying PB, it's a great resource.

Found a bunch here at Universal Cycles: https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=30476&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsqLSBRCmARIsAL4Pa9Tco_9DoplKU9yWHhKHTO4J9uALUwPoAXAYQBEGTRlJnMMUzwuVJkYaAuCREALw_wcB

Also, based on my research, I think it's actually a 2010..... based on my component research....so that actually answers m question.

I decided I should at least look into finding a pair of new forks, just in case I can get something better...

I'll keep my eyes out for "better" Pikes, Yaris, Lyrik, and Fox 36...something with 150/160 mm travel and comp. dampening.

Based on my research, the biggest hang ups are: we need straight 1-1/8" steerers, not tapered (as Lwerewolf alluded to) & 26" wheel size. Everything else should be adaptable (e.g. axel sizes).

To get the 327's where I want them, I would spend about $100: $37on springs (blue or black) and $65 on MoCo.

**edited** Would a Lyrik Mission Control Fit in the Compression side of our 327 Pike? I cannot find a straight answer, but a buddy of mine out east has a spare MiCo. He said the Part Number is 11.4015.084.000

Let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks for helping the noob out!

-cFogs

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 12:28 Quote
As far as I know lyrics have always been 35mm the old pikes are 32mm so it wouldn't fit :/

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 13:22 Quote
rclugnut wrote:
As far as I know lyrics have always been 35mm the old pikes are 32mm so it wouldn't fit :/

Rats. Thanks for that.

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 12:02 Quote
Hey team,
Perhaps another noob question, but I didn't see it discussed in the thread. The seatpost is listed as 31.8 on the Specialized spec page. I know most (MTB) posts are 27.2mm, 30.9, or 31.6mm. Are you all just using shims around the post (e.g. beer can) or am I missing something? I know a piece of paper is .1mm so the gap would be about two pieces of paper, not a ton but still enough to cause issues.

Thanks team.

-cFogs

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 14:57 Quote
30.9 fits fine no shimming required

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 15:03 Quote
the hell... I thought it was 30.9 all along Big Grin

anyways, no shimming.

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 15:31 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
30.9 fits fine no shimming required

I'm an idiot, "SEATPOST 6061 alloy, 2-bolt micro adjust setback head, 30.9mm "

I read the "STEM 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm, 8 degree rise on my dirty print out"

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 18:30 Quote
Yup 30.9", love my dropper post! Never thought I'd pay $175 on a seat post lol.

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 at 8:41 Quote
What dropper post are people running on their Pitch?
I like the look of the internal cables/hoses, and have thought of drilling a small hole in the base of the seat tube, but external would work great too.
Also, shopping on a budget. Under $200 if possible.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023550
Mobile Version of Website