Fox 34 travel adjustment technical help.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Fox 34 travel adjustment technical help.
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2016 at 7:45 Quote
I have what started out to be a 2013 Factory Series 34 FLOAT 29 140 CTD ADJ that came on the RIP 9 I recently purchased. When messing with the sag setting, I let the air out of the fork and measured the fork has 150mm of travel(from the top of scraper to top of logo where the indicator ring stops). That would explain a little of the light front end feeling on the very steep pitchy climbs.

I contacted Fox and they stated the fork had been sent in for a warranty on the damper and it was replaced in 2015 and they replaced the uppers with 2015 versions. The tech stated this fork came in either 140mm or 150mm of travel and can be changed between the two travels.

I would like to lower the travel back to 140mm and I believe this can be accomplished by replacing the internal bumper. My question is will this affect the axle to crown measurement to get the desired lowering of the front end? If not, what would I need to do to lower the travel to 140mm and lower the axle to crown measurement, not just limit the travel.

Posted: Apr 12, 2016 at 8:48 Quote
It should reduce travel and decrease a2c length by the same amount

I'm a little surprised it can only be reduced that much, but am not that familiar with the 2013 fork

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2016 at 10:28 Quote
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if the fork can be reduced further, the Fox tech stated that fork came in 140mm and 150mm travel and could easily be swapped between the two. I didn't ask him the question regarding weather reducing the travel would lower the axle to crown measurement or just limit the travel.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2016 at 13:34 Quote
Thank you for the links. I contacted Fox once again and they stated my fork came back at the original 140mm of travel...it is not. I sent them pictures of both the used travel and axle to crown measurements but have not gotten a response.

I scoured through those links and can't seem to find how to adjust the travel of the fork that I have. Can you help point me to the section? Thanks for your time.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2016 at 13:52 Quote
I had the same issue with my 2013 fox 34. It came on a transition covert. I played with different bushings and oil in the top end of the air chamber. 20cc of gold oil on top helped the most with overall travel use but it always had too much a2c when I put the proper amount of air in for sag. I just replaced the spring with the new upgrade offered by fox. It is the answer you are looking for.. $140 well spent after considering buying another fork.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2016 at 13:58 Quote
I ended up craming two grey rubber bumpers in there. When you get close to 100 psi they just get smooshed. Take the lowers off, remove the snap ring and pull the air spring out. The rubber bumper is grey or blue is used to lower the travel... The blue one didn't do anything for me so I used two grey and it worked ok.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2016 at 6:26 Quote
Nice find, thank you!

Posted: Feb 6, 2017 at 13:45 Quote
Hi Guys,

Sorry to re-open this but having a bit of a similar problem with my 2015 fox 34 tallas'. They seem to have dropped down by a couple cm without me touching them... don't know much about suspension setup so was just wondering if anyone knows what's caused this/ how I can get it back to normal?

Cheers

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 4:00 Quote
Time to get the forks serviced. My 36 talas forks kept doing this till the point I changed the spring side to float instead. Usually caused by small seals degrading in the talas side.

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 4:04 Quote
Atarikid79 wrote:
Time to get the forks serviced. My 36 talas forks kept doing this till the point I changed the spring side to float instead. Usually caused by small seals degrading in the talas side.

Ah ok fair enough... mojo or TF?

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 4:46 Quote
Mojo is the official uk distributor so would be my choice.

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 13:43 Quote
Yeah was thinking that, cheers

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 15:26 Quote
findawg6 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Sorry to re-open this but having a bit of a similar problem with my 2015 fox 34 tallas'. They seem to have dropped down by a couple cm without me touching them... don't know much about suspension setup so was just wondering if anyone knows what's caused this/ how I can get it back to normal?

Cheers
If you pump up the air pressure, does the fork rise?
I had a 2014 Talas 34 which would lose travel below 120-ish psi.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021753
Mobile Version of Website