Guide brakes and Hope floating rotors

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Guide brakes and Hope floating rotors
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2016 at 6:08 Quote
Hello. I thought I'd post here to let everyone know that Hope floating rotors are not compatible with Sram Guide Brakes. The pressed/raised interface between the 2 surfaces of the rotor are too close to the caliper post.

I hope that helps someone looking to upgrade to floating rotors. If someone with Guides had a different experience with Hope rotors I'd love to hear it as maybe there is a tolerance/QA issue? It's also possible that I'm missing something entirely? I have Hope hubs if that makes any difference?

Posted: Apr 15, 2016 at 9:39 Quote
It can be mounted, but you need to manually push the pistons on one side (like on one side they're flush with the caliper while they're pushed out on the other side). Then kind of comes the problem of pads wearing out, and eventually you may "run out" of piston ...

That said, I believe they have changed that with the new rotors? I think the rivets holding them together are now closer to the center of the rotor, and not causing that kind of problem any longer.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2016 at 10:13 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
It can be mounted, but you need to manually push the pistons on one side (like on one side they're flush with the caliper while they're pushed out on the other side). Then kind of comes the problem of pads wearing out, and eventually you may "run out" of piston ...

That said, I believe they have changed that with the new rotors? I think the rivets holding them together are now closer to the center of the rotor, and not causing that kind of problem any longer.

Thanks for the response! This a brand-new rotor in hot orange (to match my new hubs of course). I thought about moving the pistons over but with new pads and rotor there isn't much room. The other thing I've heard of people doing is filing the caliper, which I immediately filed under "not worth it."

I may take it to a pro later today to troubleshoot. I'm a a former shop wrench but no longer in the business. It may help to have someone with day-to-day experience take a look. I'll update once I do.

Posted: Apr 15, 2016 at 10:28 Quote
Filing the caliper wouldn't be out of question for me, a friend did that on his Formula RO calipers to fit with Hope rotors. Definitely an option to consider Smile

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2016 at 10:30 Quote
headed up to my shop now. My guy said he's used washers to slightly raise the caliper. I'm curious to see how that plays out. I'll post up.

Posted: Apr 15, 2016 at 10:34 Quote
Risk is then to now have all the pad in contact with the rotor ... But then, if you had a 200mm adapter and put a 203mm rotor, then you do need those 1.5mm of washers...

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2016 at 12:34 Quote
OK problem solved. My shop said it if it was theirs they would just file down the small part of the caliper post. It's just 1 of the posts that just nearly makes contact. They said they do it all the time and these guys are a legit high end shop.

We looked closely at the amount of available material (which is a lot) and I decided to go for it. I really just needed to file off about 1mm of aluminum and bam, fixed. I haven't bought the front yet but I imagine it will be the same.

I'll post pics in a few. For what it's worth here is Hope's response:

Hello,

I just installed a new set of Pro 4 hubs (orange!) with a new Hope 180mm floating rotor. My brakes are Sram Guides. The rivets have almost no clearance between the caliper where the bolt fixes to the frame/adapter.

Have these been tested with Guide Calipers? I'm afraid they may not be compatible?

Thanks and I'd appreciate any guidance.

Info Info@hopetech.com>
2:32 AM (11 hours ago)

to me
Hi, unfortunately we haven’t tried any of our rotors with any other manufactures brakes, so I can’t be sure if they will work properly or not. Sorry I can’t be of much help with this one.

Cheers.

Posted: Apr 18, 2016 at 13:31 Quote
I filed my mount a little and I have hope calipers and floaters, it's fine

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 16:18 Quote
Just installed new 2017 hope 160 mm float rotor with sram level tl brakes. No problem look good. Just waiting for nsb brake post adapter to show up to fit my hope float 180 mm rotor, it is a little different from 160 mm rotor the plate is thicker for 180 mm might not have clearence.

Posted: Feb 20, 2018 at 17:58 Quote
Stemrick522 wrote:
Just installed new 2017 hope 160 mm float rotor with sram level tl brakes. No problem look good. Just waiting for nsb brake post adapter to show up to fit my hope float 180 mm rotor, it is a little different from 160 mm rotor the plate is thicker for 180 mm might not have clearence.

Let me know how that goes. I am waiting on a Santa Cruz Chameleon to show up with level t and want to put 180/200 hope rotors with them

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 at 6:33 Quote
2019 Santa Cruz Bronson - I have hope float rotors 200 and 180 with 2019 Code r brake set and they still don't fit. I had to file down my front and rear caliper quite a bit to get it to work slightly. Still need file it a little more. Its a pain in the ass to trouble shoot and took multiple attempts. The rivets are just to off centers and bulky on the rotors. Long story short it can be done, but at a slight cost of shaving a perfectly good brake to meet the hope rotors needs. The Level brakes are entry level and not the same shape and might be fine. FYI I have boosted hubs.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 12:40 Quote
West coast Phil
I just installed Hope floating rotors 200 mm & 180 mm with my Sram Guide brakes. I found a very large benefit in cleaning the caliper pistons and centering the calipers to the rotors before installing the pads very beneficial with eliminating any filing.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 7:59 Quote
I use 2014 guides with hope 203 floating rotars
No problem at all
I also use with the 2018 guides with hope 203 floating rotors on other bike same no problems at all

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008886
Mobile Version of Website