Best bike for the Alps?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 18, 2016 at 14:34 Quote
I'm moving from the UK to near Geneva in a couple of months and have decided it's time to retire my aging Orange Five before I leave.

I've tested the Giant Trance SX and really liked it, but aren't sure whether I would be better with something with 160mm at both ends, like a Giant Reign, Specialized Enduro etc.

I've never ridden in the Alps and aren't sure what to expect from the terrain. I can't see myself getting into the bike parks etc, but I want to make sure I've a bike which will handle the terrain, I understand even the trail ridding can be rough.

If anyone's got any thoughts it would be really appreciated.
Cheers

Posted: Apr 18, 2016 at 15:00 Quote
KendalTom wrote:
I've tested the Giant Trance SX and really liked it, but aren't sure whether I would be better with something with 160mm at both ends, like a Giant Reign, Specialized Enduro etc.

I've never ridden in the Alps and aren't sure what to expect from the terrain. I can't see myself getting into the bike parks etc, but I want to make sure I've a bike which will handle the terrain, I understand even the trail ridding can be rough.

I rode some alpine trails on my hardtail last year, and while it was quite exhausting it was fun at the same time --> You will want a full sus but not too much of one.

True, the trails are tough. The problem is they are tough both up and down. Which would make me lean towards the Trance/ SX rather than the Reign,with which I find you lose quite a bit of climbing ability. Saying that, I have a Trance and live pretty close to the alps, so I have been 2 times with it. I have ridden it both in bike parks and alpine trails, it handles both up and down really well tbh.

Posted: Apr 18, 2016 at 15:44 Quote
Something like this!

Its an absolute bargain and will be perfect for the alps. Also you can buy either the one in the link and upgrade when needed or go straight in at a more expensive model that's already upgraded like this.

Posted: Apr 19, 2016 at 0:21 Quote
Thanks, looks like the 140-150mm region would be best.

Posted: Apr 19, 2016 at 1:22 Quote
Alpine trails can be pretty much everything and you will find nice trails which suit your bike or the other way round.

I ride a Capra which I love, but I could see myself on something with slightly less travel as well.

FL
Posted: Apr 21, 2016 at 7:12 Quote
How aged is your current orange five?
If it's 2011 or older the newer (longer framed, slacker 650b) is an entirely different beast and entirely suited (imo) as an alpine allrounder.

This is echoing the above comments of a 150front 140rear. Pick up a 2014 or early 2015 five from buy/sell or the orange riders fb page.

aim for a shock with a pedal platform / or middle setting for technical climbing. Both the five and the meta are single pivots and might be a bit bouncy if you're powering up climbs rather than spinning up a fire road.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008293
Mobile Version of Website