27.5"+ issues

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 3:44 Quote
Sup!
I've got a few questions about the tyres. I'm up to buying a Bronson version 2 and I need to know what size of s tyre can one fit into the frame. On the website it says 2.5" (or 2.4", don't remember), but I need someone who's actually tried that. Size of the frame is L, if that matters. Maybe a bit wider tyre will do? The second thing is using a 29" fork as a 27.5"+ fork. Is it a good idea to do that? The fork I'm talking about is a Pike. How will that affect geometry? Smaller head tube angle would make the bike better on descents and worse at climbs. But what about support height? Is it worth doing it? Cheers!

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 3:59 Quote
krystian-szewczyk wrote:
Sup!
I've got a few questions about the tyres. I'm up to buying a Bronson version 2 and I need to know what size of s tyre can one fit into the frame. On the website it says 2.5" (or 2.4", don't remember), but I need someone who's actually tried that. Size of the frame is L, if that matters. Maybe a bit wider tyre will do? The second thing is using a 29" fork as a 27.5"+ fork. Is it a good idea to do that? The fork I'm talking about is a Pike. How will that affect geometry? Smaller head tube angle would make the bike better on descents and worse at climbs. But what about support height? Is it worth doing it? Cheers!

They make Pikes, Lyriks and Yaris in 29/27.5+ as dual use forks. I have Lyrik 29/27.5+ forks (Boost 110mm), but with the axle to brace height, you can use either tire. The only consideration is A2C height, which will change the HTA. You can use a calculation tool to find out the HTA difference with taller forks. Going from 150 Pikes to 150 Lyriks changed my HTA by .5 of a degree.

The only issue is that a 27.5+ is a 100mm wide hub, and a normal 27.5 is a 100mm hub. But, if you only want to use a wider tire, as long as there is enough clearance on the sides then should be no issue at all. I have seen a 27.5+ 3 inch wide tire tire stuffed in a normal 29er (100mm hub) fork and it fit with average clearance.

plus tire in 29er pike

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 4:22 Quote
I would get the fork (27.5" or 29") with a 15x100mm axle, not the Boost one 25x110mm.

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 4:28 Quote
krystian-szewczyk wrote:
I would get the fork (27.5" or 29") with a 15x100mm axle, not the Boost one 25x110mm.

Yes, I understand. And, the 27.5 x 2.5-3.0 would fit in the 29er fork depending on the width of the wheel. Of course, wide wheels will make the tire wider, and some tires are wider/narrower than advertised on the sidewalls. For example, a 27.5 x 2.8 Nobby Nic is very close to 29 inches tall (28.66 inches with 45mm wide rims).

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 5:28 Quote
My rims have 28.4mm of internal width. What does it give us about the 29" Pike?

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 5:49 Quote
krystian-szewczyk wrote:
My rims has 28.4mm of internal width. What does it give us about the 29" Pike?

I think you can safely say that up to a 27.5 x 3.0 tire will fit in the Pike 29er fork with that rim....now the back of the bike is another issue....you have to measure the width of the rear to see if it fits the back as well.

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 7:53 Quote
Yeah, that's the point. I don't have the frame physically yet. I've ordered it and I've paid for it and now I'm deciding whether to choose 27.5" or 29" Pike. I don't need a 29er Pike that fits a 3" tyre if the frame fits a tyre up to 2.4", right? Surely a front tyre might be a bit wider than the rear one, right? That's why I need someone who's got the Bronosn v2 size L, to measure for me the actual tyre clearance with a calliper. Is there anyone, please?

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 13:46 Quote
All right, I've got this one covered. Tell me please, how will getting the 29" Pike with a 27.5x3" tyre affect the geometry of the bike? The head tube angle would get smaller so - making it simple - the bike would get better at decents and worse at climbs, but what about the bottom bracket height? The support would get higher, wouldn't that make the bike less stable?

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 17:44 Quote
krystian-szewczyk wrote:
All right, I've got this one covered. Tell me please, how will getting the 29" Pike with a 27.5x3" tyre affect the geometry of the bike? The head tube angle would get smaller so - making it simple - the bike would get better at decents and worse at climbs, but what about the bottom bracket height? The support would get higher, wouldn't that make the bike less stable?

If the axle to crown height is raised from the fork you have now, then yes, your head tube angle would get smaller, resulting in a slacker fork. I have had no problem climbing with a 65 degree HTA on my enduro bike. It descends very well.

Yes, the longer fork (I went from a 160mm travel to 170mm travel) raised the BB height. I did not notice any stability issues, but they say the higher the BB is, the less stable a bike is.

If you want the plus sized 27.5 tire, you will need the 29er fork or the tire will hit the brace, since the tires are nearly the same height as a normal 29er tire.

Posted: Apr 21, 2016 at 3:41 Quote
OK. So if I put 29" Pike with a 27.5x3" tyre on the front and a 27.5x2.8" tyre on the rear into my SC Bronson v2 size L, how much higher the bottom bracket would get comparing to the standard configuration, which is 27.5" Pike and both tyres of 27.5x2.4"?

Posted: Apr 21, 2016 at 4:03 Quote
krystian-szewczyk wrote:
OK. So if I put 29" Pike with a 27.5x3" tyre on the front and a 27.5x2.8" tyre on the rear into my SC Bronson v2 size L, how much higher the bottom bracket would get comparing to the standard configuration, which is 27.5" Pike and both tyres of 27.5x2.4"?

Here is a link to the calculator.

http://www.bicyclecalculator.co.uk/createamap.htm

Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 4:11 Quote
i have a specialized fuse 27.5 plus which has 27.5x2.8 wheels it has a rockshox judy silver tk fork. I'm looking a putting new rims on it and a whole new wheel setup and i want to put 27.5x2.4 tyre on it will i be able too?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006497
Mobile Version of Website