Spank wheels

PB Forum :: Spank Industries
Spank wheels
Posted: Sep 11, 2017 at 18:56 Quote
I have Oozy 395+ on my optic c7.1. They're awesome. Been riding super hard this year and starting to hear some rear clinking/creaking that sounds like maybe unhappy spokes. Just started happening today. Anyone have this yet? Any recommendations or suggestions for spoke tension tuning?

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 11:35 Quote
Glemom wrote:
I have Oozy 395+ on my optic c7.1. They're awesome. Been riding super hard this year and starting to hear some rear clinking/creaking that sounds like maybe unhappy spokes. Just started happening today. Anyone have this yet? Any recommendations or suggestions for spoke tension tuning?

Have you checked by hand to see if any spokes seem loose?

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 16:15 Quote
Sounds like they need to be gone over. Part of mormal maintenance for any wheel.

My 295s have had a tough season. Stayed pretty straight all season despite being thoroughly abused.

Posted: Oct 4, 2017 at 8:27 Quote
ProChargedZ28 wrote:
Glemom wrote:

Have you checked by hand to see if any spokes seem loose?

Yeah there were a couple that might have seemed a bit loose so I tightened whichever spokes needed it. Did a pretty thorough check of the wheels but they still seem creaky at times. Very strange

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 at 20:55 Quote
Hey, I'm looking to build up a wheelset and it seems like spank rims are they way to go I'm probably going to get the ozzy 395+ because they are for boost bikes right? Also why are these rims better than the competition, can you explain in terms of the technology they use or the rim profile?
Thanks

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 4:48 Quote
Boost is just hub width, it is not related to rim, you must have boost hub to be compatible with boost fork/frame. You can put any rim you want onto it :-)
Regarding technologies used, just go to spank web site, pick your rim and you have technology used in rim explained below. Why is BeadBite better than HoldMeTight from i.e. DT is a question for marketing guys. Spank wheels are as quality and well priced as other known manufacturers (like DT, Hope, Stans). If you like them, buy them, you will find die-hard fans for any brand on this forum, if you read too much you will be just confused at the end Smile

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 6:52 Quote
Does beadbite work? Check out page two and you'll see pics I posted of a rim I smoked. The tire lost a lot of air but I was able to finish my run with very little air and the tire did not fall off. So, I think beadbite does work.

Am I a hardcore spank fan, depends on what I am doing. Pick the right tool for the job and your price range

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 7:11 Quote
Did you buy the rims or the compleate wheelset? I'm thinking of putting some different hubs on it any recommendations for all mountain/enduro ridding?
Thanks

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 8:06 Quote
ProChargedZ28 wrote:
Does beadbite work? Check out page two and you'll see pics I posted of a rim I smoked. The tire lost a lot of air but I was able to finish my run with very little air and the tire did not fall off. So, I think beadbite does work.

Am I a hardcore spank fan, depends on what I am doing. Pick the right tool for the job and your price range

I can see me buying a set but so far I have found often its the tyre/rim combo that drives its staying on...Recently I found an E13 wouldn't come off even when i wanted it too....DHR2 straight off...no rolling home! That was on Halo 35.

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 22:07 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Did you buy the rims or the compleate wheelset? I'm thinking of putting some different hubs on it any recommendations for all mountain/enduro ridding?
Thanks

I bought the full Wheelsets. The hubs do leave a bit to be desired as far as engagement points go but, since 2015 I have had zero issues with the hubs. So I'm not going to throw them out anytime soon. Plus as a complete wheelset, they are in a great price range

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 1:46 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Thanks
DT 350 wtih those rims is reliable combo that wont break the bank Smile

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 14:39 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Thanks

I have both. As ProchargedZ28 mentioned the Spank hubs have pretty low engagement, but other than that they're solid hubs. I'm 3 seasons in with an Oozy 295 wheelset, and have run 2 full park seasons on my Oozy 345 and 395 on Hope hubs they're still perfect.

I used to go through 2 rebuilds a season (DH racing), but since the move to Procore and the bigger Oozys I've not had to touch them. Best wheels I've ever had in nearly 30 years of riding.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 17:00 Quote
Do any of you have experiance with the spank ozzy compared to DT Swiss EX511 or EX471?
Thanks

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 17:45 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Do any of you have experiance with the spank ozzy compared to DT Swiss EX511 or EX471?
Thanks

I have both, my DT471s are fairing a bit better than my Trail295s.

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 3:24 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Thanks
Spike would be more comparable to DT Swiss EX wheels, Oozy rims are very strong trail rims, but Spike is the gravity rim, so it should be a bit stronger.

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027701
Mobile Version of Website