Chain reaction cycles: good or not

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Chain reaction cycles: good or not
Posted: Jan 24, 2016 at 14:36 Quote
Do people in Canada/US have to pay tax duty on secondhand goods from the UK?

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 13:11 Quote
any promo codes?

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 13:22 Quote
To my fellow western Canucks I thought I'd share my recent CRC order experience as some things have changed since last year over at CRC from my "point of view."

It seems my last few CRC orders (typically about a year apart) I've accumulated a large shopping list (>$500) so I can't roll the dice and duck the taxes if I want expedited delivery...and I have wanted/needed that. Others seem to duck these fees/taxes with small orders. My last two orders were shipped with DHL, I always selected the duty paid and expedited orders. They arrived in 3 business days typically...for them they run 24/7/365 so a Friday order could make my door in Central Alberta over the weekend! Giddy-up globalism, sorry LBS :-(

This week I received my order, it took 13 calendar days, starting on a Sunday night. Needless to say I'm hugely dis-appointed. My daughter was lacking some armor, not available at the LBS because she's young and tiny, which I ordered from CRC, braving the risk of sizing off of charts and selecting an item sight unseen.

Sadly it didn't come in time...luckily she didn't hurt herself on anything...just an oh shit "super girl" moment going OTD. So all's well, no harm no foul...no dentists bill...I just hope now the armoured item will *fit* next season. Looks like it will just be expensive kit to use on her Mandalorian halloween costume in the mean time =p.

CRC dropped the ball and spent 2 days processing...likely receiving the items from disparate UK warehouses before consolidating. Next to my surprise DHL is *not* used, instead I get my first "CRC Skynet shipping" experience. I quickly look them up and I see a budget version of DHL...and my trust factor goes way down... A quick search of the 'net and I see many bad stories of those making "unrelated payments" but in the end having success with SkyNet.

By now I feel I've thrown my expensive pre-paid shipping $$$ out the window and am expecting the worst...but was hopeful I'd still have the speed! Alas no speed...13 slow creeping days and a missed window of our final day at a lift-served bike park before the end of the season.

Daily refreshing Skynet's tracking page reveals a slow plodding progress...but progress is made. Eventually the shipment lands itself on the West Coast (Richmond). A day goes by with nothing and suddenly I get a UPS email of an inbound shipment...from a company I do not recognize (EAST WORTH SALES CORP.) but it's shown to be from a Richmond, BC address from a airport business park near YYV. I hope for the best... even though it looks like EWS corporation is an e-tailer of body-building kit, not a Canadian arm of Skynet (what a creepy name btw).

There's no connection from Skynet in their tracking page, and no connection on the UPS except for the location of Richmond (near the Vancouver Int'l airport) of the origin address of the mystery shipper EWS. In the end I got my package, it was in a carboard box, but they only used single-wall construction and the corners were smashed and partially torn. They used the packing airbags...but the weak single-wall box did not make the journey...my grand-father will have definitely have rolled-over in his grave looking at that package compared to how he would have wrapped it.

Nothing was lost...all items accounted for, and nothing was damaged, so yay good luck. As a small concession there were no extra fees, or charges, or COD...for now anyways (it's been a couple of days...*knocking on wood*). I'll follow-up to later to confirm if Skynet sends a bill my way...but I have my goods so guess what I'll do with any future invoices....

So good luck on your future high value CRC/SlowNet *cough* SkyNet orders.

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
ChuckWall wrote:
To my fellow western Canucks I thought I'd share my recent CRC order experience as some things have changed since last year over at CRC from my "point of view."

It seems my last few CRC orders (typically about a year apart) I've accumulated a large shopping list (>$500) so I can't roll the dice and duck the taxes if I want expedited delivery...and I have wanted/needed that. Others seem to duck these fees/taxes with small orders. My last two orders were shipped with DHL, I always selected the duty paid and expedited orders. They arrived in 3 business days typically...for them they run 24/7/365 so a Friday order could make my door in Central Alberta over the weekend! Giddy-up globalism, sorry LBS :-(

This week I received my order, it took 13 calendar days, starting on a Sunday night. Needless to say I'm hugely dis-appointed. My daughter was lacking some armor, not available at the LBS because she's young and tiny, which I ordered from CRC, braving the risk of sizing off of charts and selecting an item sight unseen.

Sadly it didn't come in time...luckily she didn't hurt herself on anything...just an oh shit "super girl" moment going OTD. So all's well, no harm no foul...no dentists bill...I just hope now the armoured item will *fit* next season. Looks like it will just be expensive kit to use on her Mandalorian halloween costume in the mean time =p.

CRC dropped the ball and spent 2 days processing...likely receiving the items from disparate UK warehouses before consolidating. Next to my surprise DHL is *not* used, instead I get my first "CRC Skynet shipping" experience. I quickly look them up and I see a budget version of DHL...and my trust factor goes way down... A quick search of the 'net and I see many bad stories of those making "unrelated payments" but in the end having success with SkyNet.

By now I feel I've thrown my expensive pre-paid shipping $$$ out the window and am expecting the worst...but was hopeful I'd still have the speed! Alas no speed...13 slow creeping days and a missed window of our final day at a lift-served bike park before the end of the season.

Daily refreshing Skynet's tracking page reveals a slow plodding progress...but progress is made. Eventually the shipment lands itself on the West Coast (Richmond). A day goes by with nothing and suddenly I get a UPS email of an inbound shipment...from a company I do not recognize (EAST WORTH SALES CORP.) but it's shown to be from a Richmond, BC address from a airport business park near YYV. I hope for the best... even though it looks like EWS corporation is an e-tailer of body-building kit, not a Canadian arm of Skynet (what a creepy name btw).

There's no connection from Skynet in their tracking page, and no connection on the UPS except for the location of Richmond (near the Vancouver Int'l airport) of the origin address of the mystery shipper EWS. In the end I got my package, it was in a carboard box, but they only used single-wall construction and the corners were smashed and partially torn. They used the packing airbags...but the weak single-wall box did not make the journey...my grand-father will have definitely have rolled-over in his grave looking at that package compared to how he would have wrapped it.

Nothing was lost...all items accounted for, and nothing was damaged, so yay good luck. As a small concession there were no extra fees, or charges, or COD...for now anyways (it's been a couple of days...*knocking on wood*). I'll follow-up to later to confirm if Skynet sends a bill my way...but I have my goods so guess what I'll do with any future invoices....

So good luck on your future high value CRC/SlowNet *cough* SkyNet orders.

It sounds like you got off easy,my last experience ended in Skynet demanding i pay $45 handling on a $135 order,i told them to shove it and contacted Paypal and opened a dispute.
Paypal found in my favor and i was refunded the purchase price.
CRC sucks and i will never order from them again.
I've ordered from them probably 20 times over the past ten years.

Posted: Dec 19, 2020 at 17:55 Quote
Yeah, based on a thread in the Eastern Canada forum on empty beer it seems like CRC is dead for Canadians.

Posted: Dec 19, 2020 at 20:18 Quote
BikeInn and Starbike are pretty reasonable. It's a shame about CRC,they have gone steadily downhill since being acquired by Wiggle.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013190
Mobile Version of Website