Giant Trance: Advanced vs Standard

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Giant Trance: Advanced vs Standard
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 2, 2016 at 5:29 Quote
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting my first full suspension bike and have decided on a trance or possibly a reign.

I can't decide between the Trance Advanced 2 or the Trance 2. What are your guys opinions on them???
Like how do there components compare and if the carbon frame is really worth it for the compromise of components.

I also have been thinking abiut the reign 2 so that's an option but would like more opinions.

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 6:34 Quote
RyanConner21 wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting my first full suspension bike and have decided on a trance or possibly a reign.

I can't decide between the Trance Advanced 2 or the Trance 2. What are your guys opinions on them???
Like how do there components compare and if the carbon frame is really worth it for the compromise of components.

I also have been thinking abiut the reign 2 so that's an option but would like more opinions.

I would have no problem with the components on the Advanced, but I personally don't care about composite frames, I like aluminum.. The wheels on the Advanced are lighter than the ones on the aluminum. Might see how much to swap out the stock wheels. If it was cheaper than the advanced I would probably go with the regular with lighter wheels.

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 7:39 Quote
hig4s: Why do you prefer an aluminum frame?

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 21:32 Quote
Today have talked to a few people and a lot said the Reign so im now not sure. Ive been looking a the trance advanced 2 and i like the composite frame but i would think that it wouldn't make much difference to the strength because of the 32mm fork.

The Reign 2 looks good but I would like to know how the weight compares to the reign 2.

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 21:50 Quote
The Trance alu 1 weighs a good two kg less than the reign, quite a bit. Where do you ride? How aggressive are you? If you get the reign and don't use its potential, you won't be happy with carrying 2 kg more all the time.

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 22:12 Quote
I am from the Adelaide Hills. I ride fairly easy trails as well as some DH orientated trails and also I have trails on my own land (I know... Im so lucky) which are intermediate trails...

So i ride a bit of everything so the trance would be perfect but I'm worried it wont handle the DH tracks to well but i wont be doing that to often. I wish we had the trance SX here in Australia would be perfect Madder

I could save up and buy a used Trance advanced 1 or Trance 1 which have the stronger forks.

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 22:28 Quote
You're so lucky! ;D

I've got a Trance 3 2015, barely upgraded, and it even handles the occasional trip to the bikepark fine. I think you will be more happy with the Trance as I find that it is more fun to ride than the reign.

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 22:32 Quote
Kickaxe wrote:
You're so lucky! ;D

I've got a Trance 3 2015, barely upgraded, and it even handles the occasional trip to the bikepark fine. I think you will be more happy with the Trance as I find that it is more fun to ride than the reign.

Yeah i am pretty lucky Big Grin

Thanks for the reply i think i will probably end up with the Trance 2 but would still like some more oppinions

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 23:50 Quote
If you care more about steep techy climbs go with the Trance Advanced 2. If you care more about DH stability going down, bike park or shuttling DH....go Reign. I hear the Reign climbs almost as good as Trance but descends a few times better than Trance. I ride a 2014 Trance Advanced SX, sort of in between Trance and Reign and it's great. I still can't help but wonder if I'd prefer a Reign. I like to climb up before every DH and hardly ever shuttle... but the trails here are steep and challenging, maybe a Reign would let me do more? I think the Trance or Reign dilemma has entered a few minds ! Hope that helps.

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 2:00 Quote
I was told today that my school will be doing MTB'ing next season. ( I do road cycling btw)

The MTB'ing is cross country/Trsil so I think the reign is out of the picture now because I really don't want to lug an extra 2kg up a hill if I'm not going to use its potential. So now I'm back to Trance Advanced 2 vs Trance 2.

I absolutely hate the look of the trance 2 but I love the advanced paint so that does mean something To me.
I like everything about the Advanced except for that fork and shock. From what I've read the rock show Sektor is a fleet fork and the monarch ft isn't as good as the fox float performance. An option could possibly be an upgraded fork to a pike or fox 34 but that would be in the long run once I've killed the Sektor.

I really don't know now!!!! Confused Eek

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 11:04 Quote
Check PB buy and sell. You may be able to find a sweet ride that was barely used for a sweet deal. It sounds like a Trance SX is your sweet spot. Something with either a 150 Pike,150 Float, 160 Talas, 160 Pike Dual...

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 12:23 Quote
Don't worry about the Trance not being to handle rough terrain! They may only have 140 travel but they can handle loads! Even when my Trance was pretty stock, (Only changed bars to 780's and put a 40 mm stem on it) I Could ride it down the same dh Tracks that I ride on my dh bike and if anything i found it way more fun on the Trance! I will be changing bike When 2017 stock comes out, so I have tried out the 2016 reign and it's faster on the descents but not as playfull as the trance and IMO sucks when it get's to the climbs compared to the Trance!

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 12:47 Quote
mudnrock wrote:
Don't worry about the Trance not being to handle rough terrain! They may only have 140 travel but they can handle loads! Even when my Trance was pretty stock, (Only changed bars to 780's and put a 40 mm stem on it) I Could ride it down the same dh Tracks that I ride on my dh bike and if anything i found it way more fun on the Trance! I will be changing bike When 2017 stock comes out, so I have tried out the 2016 reign and it's faster on the descents but not as playfull as the trance and IMO sucks when it get's to the climbs compared to the Trance!

Definitely with you here. I've ridden a Trance SX, a Reign, and my own Trance each for a day, and I really don't like the Reign for climbing. What's nice about it is you can ride a bit longer because it just soaks up the bumps a tiny bit more, and after a whole day in the bikepark that is noticeable. Still, the Trance takes the overall win for being the best all rounder without sacrificing much at all.

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 13:03 Quote
Kickaxe wrote:
mudnrock wrote:

Definitely with you here. I've ridden a Trance SX, a Reign, and my own Trance each for a day, and I really don't like the Reign for climbing. What's nice about it is you can ride a bit longer because it just soaks up the bumps a tiny bit more, and after a whole day in the bikepark that is noticeable. Still, the Trance takes the overall win for being the best all rounder without sacrificing much at all.

What did you think of the SX? I am thinking about getting one, depending on what the 2017 colours are like (I know Colour isn't important but I like my bikes to look good haha)

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 13:09 Quote
mudnrock wrote:

What did you think of the SX? I am thinking about getting one, depending on what the 2017 colours are like (I know Colour isn't important but I like my bikes to look good haha)

I still thought it was a good bike, better than the Reign imho, but I think a Trance with either a 140mm or 150mm fork is better, those 10mm make the bike much less vague on the climbs. What you could do is get an SX and reduce the fork travel if you don't like the 160mm.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008841
Mobile Version of Website