Lets see those fuel ex's

PB Forum :: Trek
Lets see those fuel ex's
O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 17:33 Quote
rmbarrows wrote:
ZSchnei wrote:
Curious - Has anyone had cracks develop where the seat tube meets the BB area? My 2020 frame had this and it was warrantied. I received a 2021 frame and it happened again, during the first ride. My friend who lives 5 hours away had the same issue - he warrantied his 2020 frame and received a 2021. After 50 miles on the new frame, the same spot developed cracks.

Who else has experienced this? It could simply be the paint cracking, but I expect more from a frame that retails for $3300. And with that said, there is a 2 year warranty on pain and graphics, so I guess I'll keep getting new frames until they resolve the issue.

The red frame is the old (2020) and the orange is the new warranty replacement (2021).

photo
photo

I just went and looked at mine, and goddammit, it's cracked in the same way and the same spot

2020 carbon frame

Unreal! Sorry you’re also dealing with this now. Two other friends of mine also had the same issue with 2020 frames.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 17:46 Quote
ZSchnei wrote:
rmbarrows wrote:
ZSchnei wrote:
Curious - Has anyone had cracks develop where the seat tube meets the BB area? My 2020 frame had this and it was warrantied. I received a 2021 frame and it happened again, during the first ride. My friend who lives 5 hours away had the same issue - he warrantied his 2020 frame and received a 2021. After 50 miles on the new frame, the same spot developed cracks.

Who else has experienced this? It could simply be the paint cracking, but I expect more from a frame that retails for $3300. And with that said, there is a 2 year warranty on pain and graphics, so I guess I'll keep getting new frames until they resolve the issue.

The red frame is the old (2020) and the orange is the new warranty replacement (2021).

photo
photo

I just went and looked at mine, and goddammit, it's cracked in the same way and the same spot

2020 carbon frame

Unreal! Sorry you’re also dealing with this now. Two other friends of mine also had the same issue with 2020 frames.

Shop is going to be annoyed. Haha. I just got the bike back for a chainstay warranty replacement.

How long did it take to get a frame?

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 19:01 Quote
rmbarrows wrote:
ZSchnei wrote:
rmbarrows wrote:

2020 carbon frame

Shop is going to be annoyed. Haha. I just got the bike back for a chainstay warranty replacement.

How long did it take to get a frame?

Haha, it be that way. This frame took about a month to get. I hear they might be 9 months out now.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 23:29 Quote
Guys, are those carbon or alu frames with cracks?

Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 6:39 Quote
Brdjanin wrote:

Those are carbon.

Posted: Jun 12, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
johnd2 wrote:
Brdjanin wrote:

Those are carbon.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 4:09 Quote
I think that I successfully stopped all the noises on my 2020 fuel ex 7, except for a slight brake rub on the front. Last weekend, I pulled the bike apart to grease all the pivots and shock hardware since it was making a squeak/creak on pedaling. At first I thought it was the BB, cause you know, pressfit paranoia. After greasing the BB and slightly adding a touch more preload, the noise didn't go away.

Greasing all the pivots seemed to have got it sorted.

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 18:30 Quote
So, here's a picture from the outside of my frame.

Can barely see a crack, bit there's one there.

photo

And here's a picture from the inside. I used a borescope inspection camera from the back, through the cable port behind the bottom bracket.

photo

I've got the warranty started at the Trek store. I'm thinking about asking them if I can get it replaced with a Slash frame.

O+
Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 1:32 Quote
rmbarrows wrote:
So, here's a picture from the outside of my frame.

Can barely see a crack, bit there's one there.

photo

And here's a picture from the inside. I used a borescope inspection camera from the back, through the cable port behind the bottom bracket.

photo

I've got the warranty started at the Trek store. I'm thinking about asking them if I can get it replaced with a Slash frame.

I tried that approach twice now — they are out of Slash Frames LOL. My second new frame is in the way.

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 16:13 Quote
I had a crack there 2 weeks ago. Got the frame replaced in about a week. Different color though. 2021 EX 9.8 only 4 weeks old....Definitely a problem that is arising. I have seen 7 in the past few weeks that cracked. 3 of them locally near me

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 16:16 Quote
Ahhhh ZSchnei....just dawned on me who you are lol....yeah you are one of the local ones i was talking about haha

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 18:39 Quote
carbonchris wrote:
I had a crack there 2 weeks ago. Got the frame replaced in about a week. Different color though. 2021 EX 9.8 only 4 weeks old....Definitely a problem that is arising. I have seen 7 in the past few weeks that cracked. 3 of them locally near me

Chris what's the new frame color?? (could they not match your cracked frame color?)

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 8:23 Quote
carbonchris wrote:
Ahhhh ZSchnei....just dawned on me who you are lol....yeah you are one of the local ones i was talking about haha

Yeah, LOL. I just got the new frame yesterday but I have a new Banshee frame coming Wed. I also have a new Factory 36 coming Wed for that build.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 4:49 Quote
I got my replacement frame yesterday.

After clearing up some miscommunication within the shop it took about a week to get here.

Sized up to an XL from a Large.

This came too, pretty excited to try it out.

photo

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 11:47 Quote
Im interested to put Fox Float X 210x55 on my alu fuel ex size L. So my question is, will it be enough space with full compression, between piggyback reservoir and down tube?

Thanks in advance.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.155450
Mobile Version of Website