PB Forum :: Trek
Lets see those fuel ex's
O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2023 at 13:19 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
gambo21 wrote:
2023 CUSTOM TREK FUEL EX GEN 6

GEN 6 Custom build.

I'm interested in this model, but curious about something: what causes the downtube to bulge in the region just above the bottle cage. Looking at side views you can see it looks a bit thicker there like a snake ate lunch.

Thanks.

The down tune has a plastic guard the runs the down tube. Its bolted on. That is what you are seeing. the tube is strait.

Posted: Jan 17, 2023 at 13:45 Quote
gambo21 wrote:
The down tune has a plastic guard the runs the down tube. Its bolted on. That is what you are seeing. the tube is strait.

Great - thank you.

Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 14:33 Quote
I'm thinking of putting my 170 zeb on my 23 trek fuel.. anyone try this yet?

Posted: Mar 21, 2023 at 10:18 Quote
Hi there,

my girlfriend has the Fuel EX 5 from 2021 that has the Fox Performance Reaktiv shock on it.
It has really really bad small bump sensitivity. When you drop the rear wheel from a few inches off the ground it bounces like a hardtail. The shock has been well looked after service-wise.
Is it just a crap shock that needs upgrading? Any recommendations?
The bike seems fine apart from the rear shock.

Posted: Mar 21, 2023 at 12:28 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:
Hi there,

my girlfriend has the Fuel EX 5 from 2021 that has the Fox Performance Reaktiv shock on it.
It has really really bad small bump sensitivity. When you drop the rear wheel from a few inches off the ground it bounces like a hardtail. The shock has been well looked after service-wise.

I have swapped FOX DPS Reactive on my Fuel ex with Fox Float X 210x55. Much better shock, I highly recommend that.

Posted: Mar 21, 2023 at 15:49 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:

What do you mean "when you drop the rear wheel from a few inches off the ground..."?

Is there a rider on the bike?

With no weight on the bike you are not correctly evaluating the shock.

Recommend taking your bike and the rider to the LBS and having them help set it up properly.

Posted: Mar 22, 2023 at 1:20 Quote
I mean the 'drop test'. It's a pretty standard way of roughly evaluating a rear shock. The rear wheel shouldn't bounce significantly. See video below. Modern shocks with large negative chambers shouldn't bounce significantly.
https://youtu.be/PQDCUa-KIyw

Posted: Mar 22, 2023 at 5:45 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:
I mean the 'drop test'. It's a pretty standard way of roughly evaluating a rear shock. The rear wheel shouldn't bounce significantly. See video below. Modern shocks with large negative chambers shouldn't bounce significantly.

Maybe you just need to have the shock serviced or simply set up the shock properly.

But if you really feel that the only possible remedy is a new shock then let your money fly.

Good luck.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2023 at 5:56 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:

This is a poor way to measure shock performance considering outside variables, like tire pressure, also play a part. In my years of riding, with really good riders, I've never seen one of them judge shock performance off of the "drop test". They all take the time to ride the bike and set up the shock according to their needs.

You should start with Trek's recommended settings and work from there.

Posted: Mar 22, 2023 at 8:49 Quote
I've done all of the recommended things. The rear shock feels terrible. No small bump sensitivity. I have some experience setting up mtb suspension over the years.
The 'drop test' is a reasonable way of judging small bump sensitivity. (Rear tyre pressure 22psi) I have also observed the bike being ridden. The shock does not move at all over small bumps. It requires quite a large force to move into the travel. This is at 30% sag.
I'm looking for a solution from anyone who has encountered this before. Replacement shock? Any replacement recommendations?

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2023 at 9:39 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:
I've done all of the recommended things. The rear shock feels terrible. No small bump sensitivity. I have some experience setting up mtb suspension over the years.
The 'drop test' is a reasonable way of judging small bump sensitivity. (Rear tyre pressure 22psi) I have also observed the bike being ridden. The shock does not move at all over small bumps. It requires quite a large force to move into the travel. This is at 30% sag.
I'm looking for a solution from anyone who has encountered this before. Replacement shock? Any replacement recommendations?

It really depends on how she is riding the bike. The ReActive shock is supposed to be firm until it hits something big enough to create movement. If she is riding at a slower pace and riding through roots/rocks instead of over them, that particular shock is going to feel rough.

If you're looking for the ultimate small bump sensativity, regardless of rider styel, you might consider the Cane Creek Inline Air or Coil. They are both small shocks that are easy to set up and should give you that small bump sensativity you're looking for.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2023 at 19:48 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:
The 'drop test' is a reasonable way of judging small bump sensitivity.

No it isn't.

Even if your gf is 90 lbs having 3x less force activating the shock is bad methodology. That's as bad as asking a guy twice your weight to evaluate your bottom out settings.

Posted: Mar 23, 2023 at 0:31 Quote
Yeah, that "drop test" is a neat parlor trick but I don't believe it's necessarily relevant to how a bike actually rides.

Posted: Mar 23, 2023 at 1:16 Quote
Don't really want to argue but the guy who made that video is 100% an expert on MTB suspension. Look into him if you like ... https://www.andrextr.com/
If not, agree to disagree. Thanks for the suggestions.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014721
Mobile Version of Website