Starting Over

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 11, 2016 at 22:16 Quote
Hey people, new to the site but old to the sport, pretty old...1994 Specialized StumpjumperM2FS. Used to race and ride pretty hard but fell out of the sport for a quite a few years. jus t got my bike back from my sister and it is in amazing condition. Friend of mine who just tuned it up was blown away. long story short I am going to start riding again and for now this is what I am going to ride unless some one is going to donate a new bike for me...no? Fair enough, rolling Manitou Mach 5 SX forks, guessing shot. Suggestions for a decent used fork that works with my bikes geometry. No a new or used newer bike isn't an option right now. Was thinking a Zoch Bomber. Yes no?

Cheers, Brad

ps. yes I know, used or new bike makes more sense...not an option right now

Posted: May 11, 2016 at 23:01 Quote
cooliom2fs wrote:
Hey people, new to the site but old to the sport, pretty old...1994 Specialized StumpjumperM2FS. Used to race and ride pretty hard but fell out of the sport for a quite a few years. jus t got my bike back from my sister and it is in amazing condition. Friend of mine who just tuned it up was blown away. long story short I am going to start riding again and for now this is what I am going to ride unless some one is going to donate a new bike for me...no? Fair enough, rolling Manitou Mach 5 SX forks, guessing shot. Suggestions for a decent used fork that works with my bikes geometry. No a new or used newer bike isn't an option right now. Was thinking a Zoch Bomber. Yes no?

Cheers, Brad

ps. yes I know, used or new bike makes more sense...not an option right now

we used to get this question every now and then where i used to work. my recommendation is, a lot's changed in the 22 years since your bike was first introduced. i would not look for a replacement fork for that bike. just ride it as long as you can as it is and save your money for a newer bike. just my 2 cents

Posted: May 16, 2016 at 4:06 Quote
I dont think its actually that difficult to find a fork for that bike. Its a 1/18 steer tube, with a 9mm QR. You can find short travel fork (100mm) all over the place. New, NOS, or used...its a cheap upgrade.

I have a 98 Look hardtail that used to race on, I put a new fox 32 float on it a few years ago, and it was the best decision ever. It renewed the bike, very easily and cheaply.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Fox-32-F-Series-RLC-Fork-100mm-Travel-1-1-8-9mm-QR-/391452897883?hash=item5b2469325b:g:2W8AAOSwQNRXMJKi

This fork would work perfectly.. and its soo cheap.

... I absolutely disagree with the notion that the bike is obsolete, or its somehow not worth spending a few dollars on. If the rest of the bike is sound, then go for it.

Posted: May 17, 2016 at 10:53 Quote
Just scooped my brother in law s 2000 Norco nitro for free. Has all sorts of goodies on it including race face cranks, Z4 flylight bombers and assorted others. See what evolves from it. ....
cheers!

Posted: Jun 10, 2016 at 21:42 Quote
Start the rebuild tomorrow. Will it be as up to date as the rigs of today, he'll no, but neither am I. Will post some pics when done.

Posted: Jun 18, 2016 at 19:49 Quote
photo

After. Couple more tweaks to come. Franken-Stumpy.
Changed forks, pedals, stem, bar, brakes and levers, shifters, front wheel and tire, cables, grips, chain and rear cluster from a 7 sprocket to a 9. Can't wait to take it for a rip.

Posted: Aug 9, 2016 at 16:52 Quote
photo

Latest update is new shoes for Stumpy!

Posted: Aug 19, 2016 at 16:25 Quote
Nice work man. Run what you brung. Any ride to get you off the couch is a good one as far as I'm concerned. Not to shabby looking either.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018102
Mobile Version of Website