2016 Troy -- 160mm

PB Forum :: Devinci
2016 Troy -- 160mm
O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2018 at 14:51 Quote
grayrc wrote:
I've had trouble getting my shock set-up the way I'd like it ... I can't get the progressive feel I'd like and it seems to wallow in 'descend' mode no matter how much air I add. I've put 6 (?) volume reducers in but am wondering if I should just get rid of the larger Debonair air can....or if the factory shock just can't be tuned right for a 200lbs rider...

I'm 224lbs riding a Troy nx, I'm running 3 volume spacers and 295psi with a debonair can. The shock can support my weight and hard charging style. Going to be stepping up to a better rear shock that has a bit more compression damping though.

Posted: Sep 8, 2018 at 20:35 Quote
Hello!
I am thinking of buying a 1° Works Components Angleset and also offset bushings for the shocks in order to get the BB a little lower once the 1° Works Components Angleset is installed.

Those who made that on a Troy, could you confirm what « options » you took for the angle set and what « option » you took for the offsets bushing?

I am actually riding a 2016 aluminium Troy with a 150mm Pike on it. I am not thinking of changing the airshaft to 160mm yet at the moment.

Thanks!

Posted: Sep 11, 2018 at 0:42 Quote
AleG wrote:
Hello!
I am thinking of buying a 1° Works Components Angleset and also offset bushings for the shocks in order to get the BB a little lower once the 1° Works Components Angleset is installed.

Those who made that on a Troy, could you confirm what « options » you took for the angle set and what « option » you took for the offsets bushing?

I am actually riding a 2016 aluminium Troy with a 150mm Pike on it. I am not thinking of changing the airshaft to 160mm yet at the moment.

Thanks!

If you're after Offset Bushings for a Troy, we've got a product especially for this bike! https://www.offsetbushings.com/products/offset-bushings-devinci-troy

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 18:46 Quote
bret56 wrote:
I raised my pike from 150 to 160 and wouldnt look back. Best upgrade u can do for this bike. The thing climbs like a mtn goat and decents without any limits.

I have the revelation on mine... Nx model. Am I able to extend to 160mm?

Posted: Aug 27, 2019 at 11:20 Quote
Elemieux wrote:
bret56 wrote:
I raised my pike from 150 to 160 and wouldnt look back. Best upgrade u can do for this bike. The thing climbs like a mtn goat and decents without any limits.

I have the revelation on mine... Nx model. Am I able to extend to 160mm?

You should validate on RockShox’s website to see if you can as each fork has different specs. If you can, you will also see which airshaft you need (part number)

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 18:31 Quote
I've just completed the build of a new-to-me 2017 Troy,

1st test ride feels awesome ... last bike i rode was a 1998 20 year old custom restored and upgraded FSR Max BB Elite Pro frame...with a custom 27.5 ft. wheel setup... lots of getting used to it coming the front feels so strange with a giant feeling 29 in wheel tire ... .

As i saved for parts and began to build it i read everything i could about these bikes and what mods others had gone to from stock, the 1st thing i did was when i scored a killer deal on a NOS 120mm travel Pike was upgrade it to 160mm with the new Solo Spring shaft.. i also installed Enduro Hyper Glide seals and wipers and new Maxima PLUSH fluid

This fork is like buttah!

the fork is a 27.5/29 PLUS model so i am running a 29 in front wheel " Mullet" setup ATM, mainly for shits and giggles so far i like it feels fukn WEIRD with that GIANT ASS front wheel out front tho Damn lol

i don't have any experience of any other fork on this frame so no help there, but after my 1st ride i was very impressed with 2018ish MTB tech after my last bike was literally 20 yrs old with 10 yr old suspension tech..lol

as i get used to how these new bikes ride ill update with more feedback. esp once i have some time to run the 27.5 Ft. wheel ...

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 13:45 Quote
I recently picked up a 2018 Troy carbon 27.5 gx build. Love the bike but man, the pedal strikes even on the high geometry are relentless. I do ride in a pretty Rocky, rooty area but still. I increased my sag and got one up flats and still hit infinitely more than I did with my giant trance. Thinking of going to 160mm to raise the bb a bit but was wondering how much it was going to screw with the rest of the geometry especially where it does climb so well now. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 14:21 Quote
jhussey10 wrote:
I recently picked up a 2018 Troy carbon 27.5 gx build. Love the bike but man, the pedal strikes even on the high geometry are relentless. I do ride in a pretty Rocky, rooty area but still. I increased my sag and got one up flats and still hit infinitely more than I did with my giant trance. Thinking of going to 160mm to raise the bb a bit but was wondering how much it was going to screw with the rest of the geometry especially where it does climb so well now. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

U will slacken out head angle by 0.5 a degree by every 10mm u increase fork, and also slacken the seat tube by the same. U will not gain much advantage for pedal strikes. Best option u can do for that is to get shorter cranks. If u have 175mm u can go to 170 or 165

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 9:47 Quote
ShredG wrote:

1st test ride feels awesome ... last bike i rode was a 1998 20 year old custom restored and upgraded FSR Max BB Elite Pro frame...with a custom 27.5 ft. wheel setup... lots of getting used to it coming the front feels so strange with a giant feeling 29 in wheel tire ... .

As i saved for parts and began to build it i read everything i could about these bikes and what mods others had gone to from stock

I just bought the same frame new on eBay and Im doing the exact same thing, seeing that pic got me aroused. How have you been finding it so far? I could seem to find much about any reliability issues or things to look out for

Posted: Feb 10, 2020 at 19:16 Quote
forest-ninja wrote:
ShredG wrote:

As i saved for parts and began to build it i read everything i could about these bikes and what mods others had gone to from stock.....

I just bought the same frame new on eBay and Im doing the exact same thing, seeing that pic got me aroused. How have you been finding it so far? I could seem to find much about any reliability issues or things to look out for

Hey Ninja hows your build going ?

I'm very happy with the Troy,..it's been great, I also researched the reliability and could find nothing to worry about i made sure i held out for a very nicely preserved lightly used one...my budget was tight so only a good quality used frame was going to be possible....

The ONLY thing i would do differently is look for an XL vs a Large...I'm only 5'10 but I like a long reach.. in 2016 they lengthened the frames across the board from the 2015 models, thank goodness!,..so I got a large 2016....but I feel a bit cramped with a typical 35mm long stem, I started with a 35 then went to 50 and then 60 and now i'm testing a 65-70mm stem...dont want to go longer than 70mm.

in the end, now that i've tested it w/a handful of stems... I would probably slightly prefer an XL frame w/a 35-40mm stem...

No biggie really...

I've been tweaking and upgrading the thing since that first ride..lots of small stuff, and upgraded the thing with a nice splash of Hope blue ano brake parts etc.

- Swapped brakes from F/R 203 rotors to Ft. 203 / Rr. 183 & eliminated the rear brake adaptor bracket + hardware
- Changed MC / levers & Hope V4/E4 bore caps to Blue Ano.
- Dialed in spare 27.5 alloy wheel set ( Sun-Ringle Duroc 40) w/Shimano cassette driver + Sunrace 11/46 cogset, new tubeless tires. + matching Hope floating brake rotors, wheelsets are Plug & Play.
- Swapped out 150mm dropper for a 170mm One Up.
- Integrated the XTR shifter + generic (Ztto - Wolf tooth copy) dropper levers onto the Hope Tech 3 lever clamps w/ Shimano XTR I-spec parts. it was tricky getting the dropper lever set up right but i figured it out & the uncluttered handlebars are so damn nice!!! Even with wide ass 800mm+ bars, I really appreciate that integrated clean cockpit!
- Swapped out XTR 10sp. rr der. + generic drop link for an XTR 11sp rr der. + Wolf Tooth 10sp drop link to handle 46t cogset. shifting is pretty much perfect clean, quiet, fast..
- Custom modified a set of KoolStop finned pads to fit the Hope E4 caliper, painted both sets of fins (orange/red ano looked like ass)
- Fabricated custom titanium hardware for upper shock mount, Hope HS top cap, and Hope Seatpost Clamp
- Custom hand machined fork dropouts to accommodate e*thirteen Torque Caps/Trsr carbon front wheel, front wheel drops directly into position, perfectly aligned for thru axle every time.
- Figured out which tires I want (27.5+ 29 on both sets of wheels) purchased & set all up tubeless, RTR.
- Swapped out Shift and Dropper cables for Gore-Tec teflon super slick cables & housing. ( i was a convert WAY back when these came out in the 90s the new version is simpler and better!)
- Still playing with stem lengths..from 35mm up to 65mm so far.
- Dropped an MRP Ramp control device + a 160mm DebonAir spring upgrade into the Pike
- Scored a set of XTR Enduro clipless pedals for Xmas...

TIPs -

After researching forever the options - 11 or 12 speeds + managing the budget... i ended up running a 10sp. XTR shifter, + a Sunrace 11-46, 10sp. cogset and an XTR 11sp. rr. der. (the 11sp. rr. der is able to handle the large 46t cogset (with a drop link) and handles the 10sp. gear spacing perfectly..a 10 sp. der. is stretched to hell even with a drop link to handle 46t... it works but the shifting is just not clean and precise thru half the cogs.., you can only dial in the top 5 or bottom 5 cogs perfectly.

I love having the latest greatest stuff,.. but the 10 speed gearing provides most of the range of a 12 speed cassette... in several months of riding I haven't been stuck or felt wanting...sure a 52t rear cog could be nice occasionally,....but I run a single 34t front w/a 46t rear & it works great. I figure if i was pushing a 50t + cog uphill, i'm goin' so slow, I might as well be walking... no shame.

This saved $$, 10-11sp. parts cost less than 12sp. stuff. Sunrace cassettes work awesome, I've tested both sets of wheels and both shift perfectly, w/solid if not Uber wide range (last bike I built maxed out at 34t rear and you had to custom mix and match cogsets back then to get an 11-34!) again alot less $ than any Shimano or Sram cassettes, in fact, I dont think u can even find a 10sp 11-46 XT/ XTR cassette...?

I also didn't see a need to jump to the 35mm stem/bars standard.... the 31.8 spec parts are less expensive, plenty strong, & lots of options and variety available online.

& I developed my own custom carbon fiber down tube protector let me know if you are interested,.. i can make another... our DT's are freekin WIDE ;-)

I'll post some fresh pics of this beast soon I've a cpl of other upgrades in mind, but its basically DONE.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 6:11 Quote
Great write up Shred!

I have a 2016 since new and love it! I'm looking forward to seeing your new pics.

What did you do for e carbon DT protector? Mine is bare and makes me cringe when a rock hits it!

Cheers

[Quote="ShredG"][Quote="forest-ninja"][Quote="ShredG"]

Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 16:39 Quote
[Quote="CP-Bike"]Great write up Shred!

I have a 2016 since new and love it! I'm looking forward to seeing your new pics.

What did you do for e carbon DT protector? Mine is bare and makes me cringe when a rock hits it!

Cheers

[Quote="ShredG"][Quote="forest-ninja"]

thanks buddy, i fabricated a custom made CF DT protector from some real Carbon Fiber sheet i have from my car modding days ... let me know if you need something can whip up another no sweat..

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 12:29 Quote
2020 UPDATE

..Been playing with 'final upgrades' (lol! as if..) installing new parts and figuring out options like tires, tire sizes/rim sizes, Mullet setups etc...

It's amazing just how many options there are now with these bikes Vs what we had even 7-8 years ago. I'm trying to wrap my head around how it all interacts and affects the bike and my riding..... and all of this is different now after passing 50 than it was when i was railing a Specialized FSR Elite Pro MAXbb frame at 30 yrs old and still semi-invincible ;-)

TORQUE CAPS .. Never seen them before in the wild or any write ups on them really. I had to research to understand what the little sticker on my Pike referencing them actually meant,..

The basic idea makes sense: increase the contact area between hub and the fork to reinforce the thru-axle connection,..So I figured I'd be That Guy and try a set......
Ok, if they do NOTHING for performance...I still MUCH prefer how the torque cap completely FILLS the relief cut out for them on the insides of the fork legs. dropping a wheel in is just like the rear now there is ONE SLOT totally controlling the interface between hub/frame/axle, the wheel drops right into alignment/perfect position every time, & the axle slips in like buttah!..

... I'm going to do a little write up on the process to install as there was an issue i discovered on my fork that had to be addressed before the caps would work..the fix was small, but kinda tricky, luckily came out perfect..... for the other .07% of MTB geeks who GAF about such things..;-)
Actual Torque Caps in the wild

Rear brakes Hope E4 caliper, Blue bore caps, Custom modified Kool Stop SAINT spec. finned brake pads, Titanium brake line, pad pin, mounting hardware..
Hope E4 caliper with custom modified Shimano Saint spec Kool Stop Finned brake pads Titanium hardware.

Golden Hour shot rt / left side profiles here running carbon 27.5 wheels front & back with 2.8 WTB Vigilante front and 2.6 WTB Trail Boss rear
Golden Hour Photo shot Rt side profile
Left Side Beauty Shot

I'm a straight up sucker for a li'l HOPE Bling,.. custom modified a titanium umbrella head cap bolt to replace the proprietary steel Hope bolt. & moved to a OneUp 170mm dropper.
Hope Seatpost clamp w Custom made Titanium bolt

Hope Head Doctor top cap w/ titanium umbrella head bolt.
Hope Head Dr top cap w Custom Titanium Bolt

Business up front .... Party in back!!!
E thirteen TRSr Carbon front wheel Custom Goth Chicks Pike fork decals Custom Swapped Blue Caliper Bore caps Kool stop Finned pads
Monarch Plus shock upgrade w Custom TItanium mounting hardware and RWC roller bearing top mount custom vinyl graphics Cannondale SI crank XTR Enduro Pedals

Carbon Fiber Down tube protector
Custom Carbon fiber DT protector on 2016 Devinci Troy CF

As a card carrying HOPE brake fanatic, I really wanted a blue set of the current Hope V/E calipers + the Tech 3 MC .I've been on Mono Mini and that era calipers Mono6 Ti, M4, X2 for years,.. and they all still work perfectly. But I was saving up to order a custom V4 ft. E4 rr. setup... THEN a perfect black E4/V4 setup just like i was looking at popped up on ebay for WAY less than half retail so I jumped...
THEN,..Chain Reaction had a series of sales and 20% off discounts last year, & I ended up with a brand new set of Blue Tech3 MC's + levers, &Adjusters, & bore caps for the calipers, swapped in the blue levers & adjusters (Colored Tech 3 MC's come with Black levers) & BAM!.. Dream Brakes.Beer Fab Pimp

The black Tech3 MC's are now powering the Mono 6 Ti /Mono M4's on my restored FSR Elite Max frame .(Wow!)

HOPE brakes kick serious butt...stupid strong but still ALL the modulation &.....just freekin gorgeous.
Custom Blue Hope Tech 3 MC w Spurcycle knockoff Works AWESOME at 1 4 the cost
the business end.... 2.85 Onza Canis front tire on Duroc 40 alloy rim

I've a cpl of probably final upgrades planned for some time this year to freshen up this frame,.. it's 3+ yrs young, but still fairly current geo. and it ain't goin' anywhere with out me any time soon. Just got a set of bushes from Offsetbushings.com so I can play around with the setup and angles combined with the flip chip etc...lots to test!..

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 5:08 Quote
Hey. I have a 2016 devinci troy carbon front triangle. I'd like to track down a rear triangle and links to build it up. If anyone has anything out there, or an inside scoop on where I might get these items, let me know! Thanks

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 17:53 Quote
arweatherby wrote:
Hey. I have a 2016 devinci troy carbon front triangle. I'd like to track down a rear triangle and links to build it up. If anyone has anything out there, or an inside scoop on where I might get these items, let me know! Thanks

have you tried Devinci or one of their distributors...? probably the most promising option esp as they changed the design in 2018. so unless you luck upon some one who trashed their front section and has a rear laying around.......

good luck buddy!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.032464
Mobile Version of Website