Powered by Outside

1x11 convert question

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
1x11 convert question
Previous Page | Next Page
FL
Posted: May 15, 2016 at 15:10 Quote
Evening,
This is my first post here. I have had my Norco Sight Carbon 7.3 for about 3 months now, and have got the bug to convert to 1x11.
Now, I have read that for a SRAM groupset I would need an XD freehub (not sure if I have one), which would leave me with Shimano. My rear hub is: Shimano SLX 142 x 12 rear hub/center lock

So, the question is, is that correct about SRAM and if so, are there any highly recommended groupset kits that would fit my bike?

Thank you

Posted: May 15, 2016 at 16:35 Quote
You could take the route I did and go with your SRAM 1x11 system of choice and just use the Shimano M8000 11-42 cassette. Works great and no need for an XD driver.

Posted: May 15, 2016 at 16:45 Quote
Since SLX is now at the 11 speed Groupon that's the most bang for the buck Imogen. SRAM seems a bit overpriced for comparing groups

O+
Posted: May 15, 2016 at 19:24 Quote
Maybe I'm mistaken... but I'm fairly confident SLX 11sp isn't currently available.

Eicca is right though. If you wanted Sram groupo you could install an XT cassette to get around needing a new hub. I'm currently using the full XT M8000 kit (minus crank) and loving it.

Posted: May 15, 2016 at 19:29 Quote
My bad it was on shimanos website cause it's been announced. But XT is much better for a still good price

FL
Posted: May 16, 2016 at 4:26 Quote
Thank you all.
I'm not really bothered between SRAM or Shimano, I have no loyalties!!
I think I am going to get either the XT or XTR groupset kit. (I have read that the XTR shifter feels a bit nicer).
I just need to make sure I get the right fitting to connect onto my Shimano SLX BLM675 brakes.

Posted: May 16, 2016 at 10:06 Quote
As far as the I Spec goes. M9000 XTR and M8000 XT are both I Spec II while your brakes are I Spec B. If you can wait until the fall the M7000 SLX will have an I Spec B compatible shifter but idk if the XTR or XT levels will.

Posted: May 16, 2016 at 10:51 Quote
JoshCB wrote:
Thank you all.
I'm not really bothered between SRAM or Shimano, I have no loyalties!!
I think I am going to get either the XT or XTR groupset kit. (I have read that the XTR shifter feels a bit nicer).
I just need to make sure I get the right fitting to connect onto my Shimano SLX BLM675 brakes.

Hello!

Before taking the plunge, be sure that the range of 1x11 would be sufficient for the riding you do.
Also, take into account the fact that 1x11 is not as smooth as a 2x10, because of the chainline.
Riding in bad weather further increases this bad feel, to a point that it becomes nerving. There is constant lateral rub between the chain and the cogs when the smallest quantity of mud gets on the chain/cogs.
Also, think if you can live with the chain dropping from the 10-th and 11-th cog when backpedalling even slightly.
Sram chains seem to be a little better in this regard compared to Shimanos (I'm running XTM8000).

Have a nice day!

Posted: May 17, 2016 at 8:30 Quote
As ibex said, the 1x11 does tend to be a bit noisier. I've been running the M8000 groupset for a few months now, and while it does produce a faint grinding sound, it is no cause for concern.

As for the dropping chain issue ibex mentioned...I have never dropped my chain, even when back pedalling in 1st gear (I like to listen to my i9 hubs sing, so I do it more often than a normal person might) So don't let that discourage you.

Posted: May 17, 2016 at 12:13 Quote
Best way to check your range is to use any online gear Calc when I went from 3x to 1x10 I only lost .02

Posted: May 18, 2016 at 11:55 Quote
Skurploosh wrote:
As ibex said, the 1x11 does tend to be a bit noisier. I've been running the M8000 groupset for a few months now, and while it does produce a faint grinding sound, it is no cause for concern.

As for the dropping chain issue ibex mentioned...I have never dropped my chain, even when back pedalling in 1st gear (I like to listen to my i9 hubs sing, so I do it more often than a normal person might) So don't let that discourage you.

Hello!

I'm not talking about the noise when running in dry weather, but what's happening when mud gets on the chain/cogs.
THEN you'll know 1x11 is not as great as it should be..

Posted: May 18, 2016 at 12:00 Quote
Scoutty wrote:
Best way to check your range is to use any online gear Calc when I went from 3x to 1x10 I only lost .02

Hello!

Not sure what it means that you've lost only .02, but going from 3x, with the little chainring 22 teeth, and 34 on the biggest cog would give a ratio of 0,64.
With 1x11, 32 teeth chainring and 42 teeth cog, you would only have 0,76. And it means a lot of difference when you are doing climbs longer than 1 km and steeper than 10%. Best would be to test before building the 1x11.

Posted: May 18, 2016 at 12:25 Quote
I went from a 36 to a 42 on 10 speed for East Coast riding the range was close enough for me to deal with

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010293
Mobile Version of Website