***Chain Reaction Cycles - SCAM***

PB Forum :: Canada - East
***Chain Reaction Cycles - SCAM***
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 8:29 Quote
Canadmos wrote:
Another alternative is this place: https://www.thebikeshop.com/

Yeah I just discovered them recently. They offer free returns. I ordered a pair of shoes that didn't fit and I filled out a form online and they sent me a shipping label in 10 minutes for me to send back.

HOWEVER...just be aware that when their website says something is in stock, it actually might mean it's in stock at their warehouse. Which, in my case, meant the shoes I ordered were "in stock" in Wisconsin, USA. So that added an additional 2 weeks of shipping time with covid etc. The guys who I emailed back and fourth with were great to deal with, and you'll never get anybody on the phone or email at CRC, Wiggle, etc.

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 at 6:51 Quote
An update on my previous post. I had made an order from CRC, chose the cheapest shipping options (honestly don't even remember what that was), received the shipping confirmation email from CRC but the tracking number linked to a Skynet site. A couple days later I received the very suspicious looking email and text from Skynet saying I owed them $50+. After doing some research, finding a few threads related to other retailers and this one specifically, I felt I little more confident so I took the risk and paid Skynet through their link provided. A couple days after that I had a delivery notification from UPS and I have since received my parts without more charges.

Overall I'm not ecstatic about the whole experience, as the way Skynet conducts its business seems very sketchy on the surface. But considering I made the order because CRC was the only place I could find that had what I was looking for in-stock, it arrived in a decent time frame, and it didn't end up costing more then local retailers, I don't really have much to complain about.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 9:10 Quote
Hello, Joining the SkyNet club, just purchased some tubes and Schwalbe ice spikers from CRC, approximately a week later I have received the notification from shipping@CRC that I have to pay duty/taxes directly to SkyNet, I have made the payment, I will report back on the turn around time etc.

Thanks to all that posted previously, I am of the same mind set when it comes to dealing with these online sellers and the 'middle man' couriers, i really dislike it, I will typically pay extra to not have to deal with it.

Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 6:45 Quote
I ordered from Chainreaction Cycles and they shipped with "Skynet" I paid the duties but when they tried to deliver the guy said there was a $180.00 missed delivery fee. Told him I wasn't paying it and send it back to Chainreaction. Contacted my landlord to have him check the security cameras and he never tried to deliver it. Contacted CBSA to put a complaint against their license they told me there's been numerous complaints about over charging duties and bogus fees.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 1:05 Quote
How long does it take to get package from skynet? Order from crc with paid duties and tax. My tracking says its in vancouver customs then shipped to toronto customs now cleared and its in toronto hub. My order got dispatched nov 6,2020. Taking too much time compared to dhl

Update: Nov 11,2020 got my package skynet sent it VIA UPS. Only got 1 out of 3 items I ordered, I have an invoice
sheet saying all 3 items went through customs now called skynet and said they are gonna look for it on their
warehouse as they thought it was shipped in one box but now they say there might be 3. I hope they find it and send it.

Posted: Dec 11, 2020 at 16:37 Quote
I received my order in 6 days.
Bought some tools from CRC,paid thru paypal.
There was no tax or shipping included with the price.
Then the Skynet email comes through at 2am asking for money to pay for tax/shipping/customs.
I thought it might be a scam, but I calculated what I would normally pay for tax and it was not far off, maybe a couple of bucks extra for shipping. I paid thru Visa (really didn't want to use it) and I got my order in about 2 days.
Hope this helps

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 10:09 Quote
CRC using SkyNet has been a total rip off and scam to me.

When ordering through CRC and selecting the cheapest courier, one usually expects the item will ship with Royal Mail and then Canada Post will take over once the item arrives in Canada.
This way, sometimes it goes through without any additional charges. Other times other fees like GST and PST will be charged along with a $10 handling fee, and maybe Duty.
On an average, those other fees are sometimes charged, sometimes not. Its hit and miss. But on an average all orders considered it makes up for an acceptable overall transaction charges.

Lately, ordering through CRC and selecting the cheapest courier, the item will ship through SkyNet.

The first time it shipped through SkyNet it was a surprise to me as I was expecting the item would ship smoothly with Royal Mail as usual.
The item was a bit over $100. Shipping fees $44. Days later at 4am I receive a text from SkyNet. Additional fees of $53 for Customs Duty/GST/PST/HST & Processing Fee
That would make a total of $97 in shipping and fees to get my a bit over $100 item. I really wanted the item so I paid.
Item didn’t suit my needs so I returned it. Got refunded by CRC.
Since I retuned the item I wanted to claim back the Duty/GST/PST/HST to CBSA.

With Canada Post the CBSA Postal Import Form comes along with the package. To claim back the Duty/GST/PST/HST to CBSA, one just needs to fill a form and send it along with the CBSA Postal Import Form and proof of return, and CBSA will issue a check for the refund of the Duty/GST/PST/HST.

With SkyNet they don’t give the CBSA Postal Import Form. Either there is no existing form or they voluntarily remove it. I don’t know. But there is no form. They never wanted to give it to me either. Without that form its impossible to claim back the Duty/GST/PST/HST directly to CBSA. You have to contact SkyNet in order to get the Duty/GST/PST/HST refunded. When contacting SkyNet, if they ever answer the phone, not only they will ask for more proof than CBSA asks (proof of shipping back, proof of reception, proof of refund, print out of VISA documents, VISA card number, etc.) but they will also charge a refund processing fee. It’s a never ending nightmare. SkyNet say they do this for the convenience of customers. It is not convenient at all. It’s a pain in the butt. I felt so bad after giving SkyNet my VISA info that I later called VISA and told them I lost my card and asked for a new one to be issued. Just in case.

The second time an item shipped through SkyNet I received that 4am text again asking for additional fees of $52 for Customs Duty/GST/PST/HST & Processing Fee. My item was worth $116 and I had already paid $44 in shipping.
That would have made a total of $96 in shipping and fees to get my $116 item.
I said no way. Not going through this shit anymore. I’m not paying. The item will be sent back to the sender and I will be refunded the cost of the item.

CRC is really shooting itself in the foot with SkyNet.

All in all, the rip off and scam with SkyNet is that they will always charge additional Customs Duty/GST/PST/HST & Processing Fee. By Always... I mean Always.
As well they don’t provide the CBSA Postal Import Form. Further, it’s impossible to know if that form even exists. If it does not exist, then what do they really do with all of the collected fees?
Finally, if one asks for a refund of the Customs Duty/GST/PST/HST & Processing Fee, SkyNet will charge an additional processing fee. The icing on the cake of scam.

It should be legally mandatory for any courier importing items into Canada to provide the original CBSA Postal Import Form to the recipient.

CRC already frustrated me for stopping shipping Shimano to Canada. The additional SkyNet scam is just too much.
I think I’m done with CRC for as long as they will do business with SkyNet at least.

If CRC reads this, Please!!! Get back to shipping through Royal Mail asap!!!
Any cyclist reading this, Please be aware!

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
I think it's been mentioned before in this thread (or maybe I read it elsewhere), but just choose the pre-paid duty option. You get charged tax + admin fee, the same as what you would get charged from Royal Mail/Canada Post before they started using Skynet. Sure, it used to slip through the cracks sometimes and you wouldn't get charged, but those scenarios were becoming less and less common anyways. So if you're ok with paying tax+admin anyways, why not just choose that option?

Makes no sense to me why anyone wouldn't chose pre-paid duty. No hidden costs or fees, you know exactly how much it's going to cost you, and usually delivered to Canada in 3 days.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 16:57 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
I think it's been mentioned before in this thread (or maybe I read it elsewhere), but just choose the pre-paid duty option. You get charged tax + admin fee, the same as what you would get charged from Royal Mail/Canada Post before they started using Skynet. Sure, it used to slip through the cracks sometimes and you wouldn't get charged, but those scenarios were becoming less and less common anyways. So if you're ok with paying tax+admin anyways, why not just choose that option?

Makes no sense to me why anyone wouldn't chose pre-paid duty. No hidden costs or fees, you know exactly how much it's going to cost you, and usually delivered to Canada in 3 days.

Even with the prepaid option they still try to find a way to charge ridiculous fees. Like a missed delivery fee, hazardous handling fee or the latest one "COVID Fee" to cover the cost of gloves and mask.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 17:12 Quote
Skynet... what a scam...

Last October I bought a rear Hope Tech 3 E4 for $269.49 CAD and payed for import duties $29.84 CAD. In December the front one was finally available so I ordered it for the exact same amount $269.49 CAD but this time I was asked by Skynet to pay $48.47 CAD. I wanted the brakes for Christmas so I payed... but seriously???

I'm still waiting for CRC to give me a justification... I'm on the 3rd email sent...

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 18:40 Quote
PBorges wrote:
Skynet... what a scam...

Last October I bought a rear Hope Tech 3 E4 for $269.49 CAD and payed for import duties $29.84 CAD. In December the front one was finally available so I ordered it for the exact same amount $269.49 CAD but this time I was asked by Skynet to pay $48.47 CAD. I wanted the brakes for Christmas so I payed... but seriously???

I'm still waiting for CRC to give me a justification... I'm on the 3rd email sent...

Better off ordering from Worldwide or Fanatik that's what I've been doing, shipping is faster and so far I haven't paid duties or taxes on anything.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 19:21 Quote
Yeah or Jenson. At least when you pay, you know the exact amount with no screwing around.

Which sucks, I've ordered so much from CRC over the years, but will not make the gamble now.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 4:51 Quote
I've done several orders with CRC over the last couple months. Always choose the prepaid duty option. Never any other fees and is always delivered in about 3 days. Have never experienced the additional fees you guys are referring to when you select the prepaid option. That's the whole point of it. Similar to Jenson, both in how much additional you pay (up front) and in delivery times. Although you can still get Shimano from Jenson...

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 8:23 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
I've done several orders with CRC over the last couple months. Always choose the prepaid duty option. Never any other fees and is always delivered in about 3 days. Have never experienced the additional fees you guys are referring to when you select the prepaid option. That's the whole point of it. Similar to Jenson, both in how much additional you pay (up front) and in delivery times. Although you can still get Shimano from Jenson...

I do choose the prepaid option and still get charged a fee. They tried to charge me a $180.00 for missed delivery (They didn't even try to deliver) and someone else I know was charged a "hazardous handling fee" for Shimano Mineral Oil.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 8:30 Quote
Never heard of these fees. As I said, have made many orders recently, never seen additional fees. Have been using the prepaid option for years, never seen additional fees. And you can't get Shimano stuff from CRC anymore, so maybe an offbrand mineral oil? Wouldn't know of this "hazard handling fee" as I just buy oils and stuff locally. But good to know.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008970
Mobile Version of Website