***Chain Reaction Cycles - SCAM***

PB Forum :: Canada - East
***Chain Reaction Cycles - SCAM***
Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 20:07 Quote
Pumpero wrote:
I’ve never been charged duty and taxes for ordering a cassette and chain from chain reaction in the past.
Two days ago I ordered them again for 110$ which includes 10$ for shipping.

Today I got a text and email from SkyNet Express that I have to pay $26.18 for duty and charges.
Is this a scam?????
Never payed anything extra for the same items in the past.

No. In the past you just got lucky. Taxes and import fees are due on all goods over $20.
£26.18 sounds about right. I don't think there is any getting lucky when skynet are involved, seems we pay every time.

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 11:53 Quote
pirati wrote:
Just adding my experience with my latest (and last...) CRC order to BC.

- I choose to not pay import taxes at CRC checkout, expecting that (like in the past) shipping would arrive through Canada post
- received text and email messages from SkyNet asking to pay fees
- tried to pay through their website (that doesn't look very professional), but my CC did not seem to trust their payment through Moneris
- finally paid by calling them with my CC details
- reveived an invoice from them for my payment
- they confirmed that delivery will be made by UPS

The fees were reasonable , but are now unavoidable. On top of that, dealing with SkyNet was just too much hassle.

CRC used to be my go-to online retailer, but customer service just has declined so will not consider them for future purchases.
Following up on this now that I picked up my order from UPS:
- I paid $8.99Cad for standard tracked shipping
- paid $15.76cad to Skynet for duties/taxes
- duties paid shipping from CRC would have cost $25.49Cad

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 9:45 Quote
So you’re saying you saved $1! Nice.

Yup, if you must order from CRC then the prepaid option is so close to same price as what you’d pay trying to go cheapest option (even choosing “free shipping” for orders over $150CAD is junk). At least with the cheapest prepaid option you know what you have to pay up front and can decide then if it’s worth it.

Jenson and Universal are great options for us in Canada, esp Jenson. Their shipping is so quick.

The one good thing about the SkyNet CRC shipping is it gets here fast and the tracking is accurate. I think anyone in Canada who has used CRC a lot over the last many years has had several orders take over 4 weeks to arrive (and you have no idea where it’s at during that time).

For another poster above who mentioned bike24: I have used them many times with decent success. But they also do not offer “free shipping” or discounted shipping. Which is fine, just pointing out there should be no surprises there. But more importantly, bike24 is now owned by wiggle.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
So I shied away from the title of this thread as calling out anything a scam felt uncomfortable. After a bit of back and forth I can most assuredly say that on order under $20 Skynet is a straight up scam. They provide no service, they provide no value, there are no additional costs but they require payment for a "handling fee" before releasing your package that required no involvement on their part. So the scam is either extorting money because they sit between you and receiving your fully paid up package or Chain Reaction only ship to a courier who then charges you for the rest of your delivery and shipping therefor was not paid at checkout as claimed.
CRC now keep threatening to destroy my package and place blame on me after I have repeatedly told them I don't want it, I just want them to know Skynet has cost them a long term customer. At least if they destroy it they will have to get off their ass and do something.
I have no idea why anyone would claim delivery was better before this shit show, tracking initially was completely unavailable until after delivery. My experience of ordering when tracking was available involved watching my 2-4 day delivery get bounced around 3 Ontario warehouses for two weeks before starting it's way out west. Utterly unreliable if you have any sort of timescale requirement.
I liked CRC but now I'm done.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 17:30 Quote
CRC have lost so many customers (at least in North America) over this bullshit. It seems to have all began shortly after they were acquired by Wiggle. My go to online store is now Bike 24 in Germany, but I just found out that the too have been bought by Wiggle.

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 11:52 Quote
No follow up from OP.

Complaining about not understanding how cross border shipping works.

This is why you support local and do your research/Thread.

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 5:09 Quote
Jolly-Roger wrote:
No follow up from OP.

Complaining about not understanding how cross border shipping works.

This is why you support local and do your research/Thread.

We've done our research I just did an order with Chainreaction and they ended up shipping with DHL chose duties paid no nonsense or scam fees. Order arrived in two days not a week like it did with Scamnet shipping.

"Support local" problem with that is local bike shops don't carry all the brands, components and accessories riders want or need. Not to mention I just recently learned that my own bike shop wouldn't install new bearings on my Race Face bottom bracket due to "proprietary" nonsense yet some dude with a blind hole bearing puller managed to do it for a few beers that being said why "support local" when they don't even service the stuff they sell to me? My local bike shop is fully aware that I order stuff online and have no issue with it as I like unique items and my bike is custom and requires parts that are not usually available.

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 7:28 Quote
DownHooligan wrote:
Jolly-Roger wrote:
*SNIP*
*SNIP*why "support local" when they don't even service the stuff they sell to me? My local bike shop is fully aware that I order stuff online and have no issue with it as I like unique items and my bike is custom and requires parts that are not usually available.

Don't know what point you're trying to make, since it seems like we are in agreeance.

Obviously you do your research, and make whatever work when you need it to.

Supporting local is - situational, which if you can't then I guess you have no choice. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to do what you want, it's just better to deal with a physical entity rather than an online one - accountability.

Finally, I've never heard of Skynet shipping, nor does it sound like something I'd ever even consider giving my money for any high dollar high value item, again, could be avoided with a few little internet searches.

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 9:28 Quote
Jolly-Roger wrote:
DownHooligan wrote:
Jolly-Roger wrote:
*SNIP*
*SNIP*why "support local" when they don't even service the stuff they sell to me? My local bike shop is fully aware that I order stuff online and have no issue with it as I like unique items and my bike is custom and requires parts that are not usually available.

Don't know what point you're trying to make, since it seems like we are in agreeance.

Obviously you do your research, and make whatever work when you need it to.

Supporting local is - situational, which if you can't then I guess you have no choice. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to do what you want, it's just better to deal with a physical entity rather than an online one - accountability.

Finally, I've never heard of Skynet shipping, nor does it sound like something I'd ever even consider giving my money for any high dollar high value item, again, could be avoided with a few little internet searches.

Skynet shipping is the whole reason why this thread was started.

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 10:31 Quote
That can't be true because Skynet is first mentioned on Page 5, prior there is absolutely no mention of skynet.

Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 12:08 Quote
Jolly-Roger wrote:
That can't be true because Skynet is first mentioned on Page 5, prior there is absolutely no mention of skynet.
Yeah, first post is 2016 prior to skynet. I remember shipping going a bit weird back then, if you make two separate tax prepaid orders you might save 20 or more compared to one big order for example. You need to be careful at checkout but it was still a good place to order. People used to be able to order regular postage and get away with avoiding tax which I think is the main gripe. Now the whole problem is skynet, their shipping is garbage and they will always charge you even when there are no taxes due.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2021 at 12:28 Quote
Bob-Agg wrote:
People used to be able to order regular postage and get away with avoiding tax which I think is the main gripe

This is the problem right here. People are trying to avoid paying tax on items, which in the past would often happen. But not so much anymore. You have to expect to pay tax. If you buy something locally you pay tax, why should this be any different? Just be upfront about it and choose the prepaid option, then you pay tax plus a small admin fee, no surprises.

I've placed 5 orders from CRC within the last couple months. Chose prepaid duty each time (which for me in Ontario works out to 13% PST + about $7 admin fee), arrived within a couple days each time, no additional charges each time, no hassle.

True, CRC isn't what it used to be. No longer able to order SRAM or Shimano from North America, selection isn't as good, prices aren't as good, but is still a reliable place to order IF you select the prepaid duty option. If you try and avoid paying taxes, you often get burned with additional charges through their 3rd party shippers, as is the case with most of the complaints in here.

Posted: Aug 11, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
Jolly-Roger wrote:

Okay ya, just remembered I replied to someone on here that mentioned Skynet and thought it was the first page, my bad.

Posted: Aug 12, 2021 at 10:01 Quote
Ah, the old everyone needs to pay the tax bogeyman. The system was set up this way for a reason. The government is happy with the way taxes are collected with them both being the recipient and the entity who created this for their own benefit. Collecting the peanuts owed on millions of low value imports simply would not be cost effective, the government would lose. But lets blame the consumer for expecting their goods to be delivered they way they are supposed to be delivered, lawfully and without external interference.
Skynet is a company that exists to force you to pay a fee you had no obligation to pay for their own profit. And you don't see a problem with that? You consider that fair and just? A company that makes you pay for nothing.
And just why would Chain Reaction employ such a company? Because I don't think ruining their market was at the top of their agenda. Again it's in their interests, they are making money from this, effectively adding a hidden charge under the guise of "courier" (your items still arrive by Canada post BTW) which is a very dubious practice.
Skynets billing doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that taxes are actually going where they are supposed to either. No evidence. No receipt from customs. No payment numbers. Just a line item in an email from a faceless company demanding money for release of your goods. I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried to follow up and get evidence of payment.
Finally lets not forget you, as an importer of goods, have the option to self-account the applicable duties and/or taxes on shipments imported by a courier on your behalf. Self-accounting can be done through a CBSA office that offers accounting services to the public. If you choose to do this, you may save on certain administrative fees. If you choose to take this route a lot of people are going to find out their package was never selected for duties.
And can anyone explain why I would have to self clear a package that has no duties owing on it to avoid additional charges?

Posted: Aug 14, 2021 at 23:13 Quote
Bob-Agg wrote:
Ah, the old everyone needs to pay the tax bogeyman. The system was set up this way for a reason. The government is happy with the way taxes are collected with them both being the recipient and the entity who created this for their own benefit. Collecting the peanuts owed on millions of low value imports simply would not be cost effective, the government would lose. But lets blame the consumer for expecting their goods to be delivered they way they are supposed to be delivered, lawfully and without external interference.
Skynet is a company that exists to force you to pay a fee you had no obligation to pay for their own profit. And you don't see a problem with that? You consider that fair and just? A company that makes you pay for nothing.
And just why would Chain Reaction employ such a company? Because I don't think ruining their market was at the top of their agenda. Again it's in their interests, they are making money from this, effectively adding a hidden charge under the guise of "courier" (your items still arrive by Canada post BTW) which is a very dubious practice.
Skynets billing doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that taxes are actually going where they are supposed to either. No evidence. No receipt from customs. No payment numbers. Just a line item in an email from a faceless company demanding money for release of your goods. I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried to follow up and get evidence of payment.
Finally lets not forget you, as an importer of goods, have the option to self-account the applicable duties and/or taxes on shipments imported by a courier on your behalf. Self-accounting can be done through a CBSA office that offers accounting services to the public. If you choose to do this, you may save on certain administrative fees. If you choose to take this route a lot of people are going to find out their package was never selected for duties.
And can anyone explain why I would have to self clear a package that has no duties owing on it to avoid additional charges?

Got no problem with the taxes just the fact I can't see the invoice from customs and the scam fees like hazardous handling fees and a $60 per missed delivery fee adding up to a $120 than I check the cameras and the dude never even showed up. Thank you for the tips about self accounting I will look into that for future purchases.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019110
Mobile Version of Website