Why do so many BMXers not where helmets?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Why do so many BMXers not where helmets?
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:04 Quote
Bmx is just as dangerous as mtb, remember that their riding on pavement. For all of you that dont know, pavement is very hard, even harder than dirt. Eek . I know, shocking. But who really cares? The question is why are there ppl with $500 full faces, $200 body suits, $300 biking jersey and shorts, $150 goggles, $200 clip-on shoes, and like a santa cruz v-10 when their at Canada Olympic Park hitting up and 8ft drop. Im not saying its dumb to wear a helmet or not, but i think its funny when after that dude on v-10 hits the 8 footer a 10 yr old comes along and hits that same drop with a halfshell on a hardtail kona. Haha Ponder. Confused

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:05 Quote
viwarrior wrote:
tabletop666 wrote:
BMX you ride down the street and in parks n shit. MTB your whistling thru trees and off of 15 foot drops and shit, MTB is more dangerous for head injurys

concrete is soft
haha i like to ride my bikecycle on pillows =]

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:11 Quote
tabletop666 wrote:
MTB is more dangerous for head injurys

Just keep telling yourself that. I can think of 4 bad accidents that I've personally witnessed that all involved a BMXer, a skull, and the concrete.

Two of them were 180s off a ledge. One of those, the impact of his skull hitting the concrete could be heard an easy 15 feet away. Another one was a basic manual, looped out and at that point there's nothing you can do. You're either going to land on your back or the back of your head. Finally, a rail gone wrong. His pegs stopped sliding from a good speed and pitched him to the ground.

I've never worn a helmet and I don't make excuses for that fact. Its not that I don't care or that I'm stupid, its that I choose not to. I also make a point to allow people of a certain age to make their own decisions without passing judgment.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:23 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:
.....So your friends don't wear helmets cause its not cool, or cause a few pro's don't ride helments and you want to be as foolish as them.
And then one day your riding along with your buddies and slip the pedals on a manual, or a stall or go over the bars and hit the back of your head off a kerb maybe a square edge or the floor.
You smash the back of your head in on the floor. Your friends ring an ambulance. Your on a life support machine in hospital with swelling or bruising of the brain. All your family are around you with the hear rate monitor beeping at your side. Your brain is still swelling up, prevents blood with oxygen entering the tissues - and you die right there - in a hospital bed.
Dead as in no more biking, no more fun. Your parents are heartbroken, all your friends are devestated, everyone you have ever known will be upset. You will have destroyed the lives of at least 5 people for months if not years to come.

wow what a great idea that turned out to be. If you don't wear a helmet your an idiot.

You don't seem like a very happy personSmile

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:26 Quote
ahhhhhh wrote:
huckoveraduck wrote:
.....So your friends don't wear helmets cause its not cool, or cause a few pro's don't ride helments and you want to be as foolish as them.
And then one day your riding along with your buddies and slip the pedals on a manual, or a stall or go over the bars and hit the back of your head off a kerb maybe a square edge or the floor.
You smash the back of your head in on the floor. Your friends ring an ambulance. Your on a life support machine in hospital with swelling or bruising of the brain. All your family are around you with the hear rate monitor beeping at your side. Your brain is still swelling up, prevents blood with oxygen entering the tissues - and you die right there - in a hospital bed.
Dead as in no more biking, no more fun. Your parents are heartbroken, all your friends are devestated, everyone you have ever known will be upset. You will have destroyed the lives of at least 5 people for months if not years to come.

wow what a great idea that turned out to be. If you don't wear a helmet your an idiot.

You don't seem like a very happy personSmile
haha agreed.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:48 Quote
3ven wrote:
tabletop666 wrote:
BMX you ride down the street and in parks n shit. MTB your whistling thru trees and off of 15 foot drops and shit, MTB is more dangerous for head injurys

Sorry.. Thats the most stupid thing i read all day. Have you seen the stuff BMXrrrrrs do in Parks, if they bail on concrete they have a far more likely chance of causing some serious damage to the noggin if they wore no lid than if MTBrs fell off onto soft soil with no lid.

Ok, so if you do a 15 foot drop with a sniper landing, bail over and take your head off of a tree, what are you gonna be able to do about it? Nothing. If you tweak out on a 6 foot air over the box jump at the park, you can bail pretty easy, and avoid injury. BMXers are able to get away with taking hard crashes most of the time, that is why you see a lot of them without helmets. You dont see people riding DH without a helmet, because if you crash your probably gonna get hurt, 90% of the time. So turns out your comment was the stupidest thing ive heard all year

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 at 15:53 Quote
tabletop666 wrote:
3ven wrote:
tabletop666 wrote:

Sorry.. Thats the most stupid thing i read all day. Have you seen the stuff BMXrrrrrs do in Parks, if they bail on concrete they have a far more likely chance of causing some serious damage to the noggin if they wore no lid than if MTBrs fell off onto soft soil with no lid.

Ok, so if you do a 15 foot drop with a sniper landing, bail over and take your head off of a tree, what are you gonna be able to do about it? Nothing. If you tweak out on a 6 foot air over the box jump at the park, you can bail pretty easy, and avoid injury. BMXers are able to get away with taking hard crashes most of the time, that is why you see a lot of them without helmets. You dont see people riding DH without a helmet, because if you crash your probably gonna get hurt, 90% of the time. So turns out your comment was the stupidest thing ive heard all year

that was well said

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013876
Mobile Version of Website