Dorado setup...feel like a newbie to air forks

PB Forum :: Downhill
Dorado setup...feel like a newbie to air forks
| Next Page
Posted: Feb 18, 2017 at 11:10 Quote
I think I found them on universalcycles.com. I'm thinking I might grab the seals because I just tried checking the sag and the stiction seems to be a huge problem for me. I'm getting about 18-20% static and 23-25% dynamic at 40 psi. I'm 165 pounds and everything is set to neutral. Basically, after it settles into the travel, even if I lean completely over the bars it doesn't move.

Posted: Feb 19, 2017 at 2:34 Quote
rickberg82 wrote:
I think I found them on universalcycles.com. I'm thinking I might grab the seals because I just tried checking the sag and the stiction seems to be a huge problem for me. I'm getting about 18-20% static and 23-25% dynamic at 40 psi. I'm 165 pounds and everything is set to neutral. Basically, after it settles into the travel, even if I lean completely over the bars it doesn't move.
is it a new fork? I had this and only after a quit a few rides its started to get way better. Now there is no stiction at all. But it toke quit some time/rides.

Posted: Feb 19, 2017 at 11:36 Quote
Nah i put in new seals probably 15 rides ago so it shouldnt be the seals. I think the stiction is occurring in the air spring. I pulled it apart last night and that was the piece that seemed kinda sticky. I couldn't get one of the pieces off (no clamp) so I just called it quits and put it back together.

I grabbed a new shock pump today and it looks like my old one was ~25psi off, haha. It actually has 60psi in it now. It's feeling much better now.

Posted: Feb 19, 2017 at 12:04 Quote
rickberg82 wrote:
Nah i put in new seals probably 15 rides ago so it shouldnt be the seals. I think the stiction is occurring in the air spring. I pulled it apart last night and that was the piece that seemed kinda sticky. I couldn't get one of the pieces off (no clamp) so I just called it quits and put it back together.

I grabbed a new shock pump today and it looks like my old one was ~25psi off, haha. It actually has 60psi in it now. It's feeling much better now.
haha, thats better than. If you set it up rite, with the rite presure(with a good pump) it should be smooth! I personaly have not had any problema with dorados, set up how I like it. Perfect fork.
Good you sorted it out. Beer

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 8:23 Quote
I finally installed and tried the MRD kit, and I have to say it's pretty awesome.
Now the fork stays more up in the travel, is a lot more strong in mid travel and the small bump compliance is absolutely improved (even if it was already great).
I ended up closing the rebound one click, opening the HSC 2 clicks and lowering the main pressure from 55 to 50.
I will probably try closing the TPC+ one click, next time.

But now I have a problem, both legs are leaking. I think I installed the oil seals with the wrong side up, maybe.
As riderseventy7 already said the oil seals are different from those you see in the service manual, so I had to guess and maybe I guessed wrong. I can't think of any other solution to this leaking.
Now I bought a new set from TF Tuned, made by Hayes and they look exactly the same as those that came with the kit, so I would highly appreciate if anybody has some info about how to install them.

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 9:00 Quote
Ok, already got the answer from Hayes (took almost a few minutes, great support service), here it is, for all those who are interested:

Here is the golden rule with the dorado oil and dust seals.
The side facing up when you press in the seal will have text. The side facing down does not contain text.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 18:52 Quote
thanks for this information mate
Bubiz wrote:
Ok, already got the answer from Hayes (took almost a few minutes, great support service), here it is, for all those who are interested:

Here is the golden rule with the dorado oil and dust seals.
The side facing up when you press in the seal will have text. The side facing down does not contain text.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 18:52 Quote
Hi folks,
If you spend your precious time replying to me, I appreciate it.
I live in Scotland/UK and have Manitou Dorado Pro 2018 on my Bergamont Straitline Team 2018 DH bike and oil leaks from the right leg of the fork.

1) Do I need one of the below ones to fix it? all parts are out of stock.
MANITOU DUST SEAL KIT 36 mm for dorado pro (Pre 2021) (141-25239)
hayesbicycle.com/products/dust-seal-kit-for-30mm-stanchions-markhor-m30-r7?variant=34554936950829
DORADO COMPLETE REBUILD KIT (141-25995-D)
hayesbicycle.com/products/complete-rebuild-kit-dorado

2) Suspension maintenance guide says we need to do below ones in every 50 hours. I ride 50 hours in 2 months. Is it a good idea keep opening the fork in every 2 months?
• REPLACE CASTING SEMI BATH OIL
• LUBRICATE LEG SEALS
• CLEAN AND INSPECT BUSHINGS
• CLEAN AND RE-LUBRICATE AIR PISTON(S)
• CHECK FASTENER TORQUES
• PERFORM AIR CAN SERVICE
• INSPECT SHOCK HARDWARE

3) I have found the below video on Youtube and I think it is the only one showing how to replace the oil. Do you think he did it well? I'll follow the same steps
www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5XWb6S2Uqw

4) Service manual recommends us to use Maxima 5wt oil. Which one do you recommend?
Maxima Fork Oil Standard Fortified SAE 5wt 1 Litre Fork Oil
Maxima Bike Plush Suspension Fluid High Performance Sae 5wt 473ml Suspension Fluid

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 13:35 Quote
riderseventy7 wrote:
IRT kit is absolutely friggin' awesome. First ride out on it with pressures I thought were just in the ballpark was an improvement on what was an already incredible fork. I played with the pressures a little bit and made it feel a bit better still and left it at that as it was just gliding over overything. I'm sure I could get a bit more out of it, but I just haven't felt like I've needed anything more from it yet. The increased mid stroke support prevents it blowing through its travel on fast repeated hits at high speed (I only found this to be a problem on one section of one track, Awaba, and that's actually what prompted me to get the kit), gives it a bit more composure on landings, and as it's not so deep in its travel through rock gardens the bb and pedals are a bit higher so I can charge a little harder.
Other setting changes from memory were to slow down the rebound a touch and to back off the tpc.
Hi mate,
A bit late jumped in hereSmile I have Manitou Dorado Pro 2018. I bought my downhill bike second hand. How May I know if it has MRD or IRT?

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 2:43 Quote
The MRD kit is a performance upgrade kit that includes air pressure relief valves in the top cap, lower friction oil/dust seals and the IRT secondary air spring. If you have the little red buttons on the forks top caps it is a good indicator that you have a fork with the MRD upgrade kit. The IRT is pretty obvious as there will be a second air valve, labelled IRT, at the bottom of the spring side fork leg.

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 15:52 Quote
riderseventy7 wrote:
The MRD kit is a performance upgrade kit that includes air pressure relief valves in the top cap, lower friction oil/dust seals and the IRT secondary air spring. If you have the little red buttons on the forks top caps it is a good indicator that you have a fork with the MRD upgrade kit. The IRT is pretty obvious as there will be a second air valve, labelled IRT, at the bottom of the spring side fork leg.

Hi mate,
I have taken pictures of both legs. Is it MRD?

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 2:03 Quote
Yep, that's the MRD kit. Those little red buttons are the TSR pressure relief valves.
At the other end of the air leg (the bottom) you will also see the cap that covers the IRT adjustment valve.

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 11:47 Quote
riderseventy7 wrote:
Yep, that's the MRD kit. Those little red buttons are the TSR pressure relief valves.
At the other end of the air leg (the bottom) you will also see the cap that covers the IRT adjustment valve.

Thanks very much mate, I appreciate that

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009372
Mobile Version of Website