Hope Pro 4 Freehub & Shimano XT CS-M8000 11 Speed Cassette Issue

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Hope Pro 4 Freehub & Shimano XT CS-M8000 11 Speed Cassette Issue
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 21, 2016 at 12:11 Quote
Upon installing the cassette on the freehub body and tightening down/torque to spec the lock ring I noticed that I can't get ride of the play between the cassette and free hub body (i.e. I can easily wiggle/rattle each cog of the cassette). The Shimano cassette did not come with any additional spacers. The Hope hub is advertised as "supplied with freehubs to suit 10/11spd Shimano or Sram XD cassette", so I am wondering what my issue could be.

Does this combination of parts require additional spacers? Any other thoughts on what could be the issue?

Posted: Jun 3, 2016 at 15:51 Quote
I'm running the exact same setup. Not having issues with play, but the freehub body, with the 11spd cassette on, will fall right out of the body of the hub when the wheel is not on the bike. This may sound silly but...are all 11 cogs on the cassette? Just a thought.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 4:19 Quote
wpanning wrote:
Upon installing the cassette on the freehub body and tightening down/torque to spec the lock ring I noticed that I can't get ride of the play between the cassette and free hub body (i.e. I can easily wiggle/rattle each cog of the cassette). The Shimano cassette did not come with any additional spacers. The Hope hub is advertised as "supplied with freehubs to suit 10/11spd Shimano or Sram XD cassette", so I am wondering what my issue could be.

Does this combination of parts require additional spacers? Any other thoughts on what could be the issue?

If you google that particular hub, an image shows up on chain reaction with the hub featuring a spacer. I'm guessing that's your problem. The spacer should have come with the hub or wheel when you purchased it. I'll try to post the image when I get a chance to show you what I'm talking about.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 4:20 Quote
reconjay wrote:
I'm running the exact same setup. Not having issues with play, but the freehub body, with the 11spd cassette on, will fall right out of the body of the hub when the wheel is not on the bike. This may sound silly but...are all 11 cogs on the cassette? Just a thought.

That's not right. It just slides off?

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 16:24 Quote
wpanning wrote:

have a look at this. it's pictured with a spacer. have you tried reaching out to Hope? Maybe they can send you one.

Posted: Sep 7, 2016 at 4:56 Quote
I might be late to this thread. But just to verify if someone else finds this thread later on.
I've just received my wheels with Pro4 hubs, and they are indeed supplied with a spacer.

The bag that it comes in, specifically states the following:

PLEASE NOTE
Use this spacer when fitting
a 9/10 speed cassette
or XT-M8000/XTR-M9000
(11 speed) Cassette

As I understand it, it's because the length of the freehub, is that of 11 speed road cassettes. To ensure as wide a compatibility with cassettes as possible.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2017 at 10:34 Quote
Same setup. Started without spacer and had the same issue with it not tightening down. Added a spacer and it is now tight. Hope it shifts well. Cheers guys.

Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 15:03 Quote
Help !!!!!

I'm having trouble with sram 10 speed cassette fitting on Hope driver .Hope says that cassette should be all the way on driver to get proper engagement.it also state to put spacer on after cassette is fitted ?
The only way I can get everything to fit properly is if the space supplied by hope goes on first?

Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 19:24 Quote
slowrider998 wrote:
Help !!!!!

I'm having trouble with sram 10 speed cassette fitting on Hope driver .Hope says that cassette should be all the way on driver to get proper engagement.it also state to put spacer on after cassette is fitted ?
The only way I can get everything to fit properly is if the space supplied by hope goes on first?

it probably refers to the cassette needing to be as far on to the freehub body as possible for durability (otherwise the 11t can shear the splines on the end of the body under load and that would mean new freehub)
and to use the spacer if you can't eliminate the free play by tightening the lockring.

not had this problem with pro 4s, but i haven't fitted an 11s cassette to one yet that wasn't an XD deal...

Posted: Apr 16, 2017 at 10:05 Quote
I have the same issue, i fitted the spacer before the cassette and tightened it, for a few weeks it was fine, but now the cassette rings move 2-3mm, any advice before i take it down the LBS?

Posted: Jun 20, 2017 at 21:50 Quote
Same issue,

Loose cassette when the locking ring is as tight as anyone would like, another 1/2mm spacer would do the trick.

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 5:35 Quote
Hi guys,
I'm writing because I have just installed my xt 11 speed into hope pro 4 and I have the same issue. Just noticed today as playing with it. Mine does not fall but you definitely can feel the play. Put the wheel on the bike and it does note have any play. So, is it just a matter of add another spacer? Did anyone got any feedback from Hope themselves? Cheers

Posted: Mar 28, 2018 at 14:00 Quote
Same issue for my single speed/trials pro4 using the alignment spacers provided there's just a C-hair of space and the cog does not get snug. The smallest spacer I could find is over a mm thick. That almost worked but rubs on the tension adjusters. The cog is gouging the freehub body a little. Best solution would be to machine your own spacers, if you have access to a machine shop, which I do not. Oh well, effit.

Posted: May 22, 2018 at 10:06 Quote
Can I ask that with an XD freehub on the pro 4 (mine came with a Shimano freehub using the spacer for the cassette due to the extra freehub length) mine has a little play, the cassette is solid but when you pull on it the whole frehub seems to move from the hub, almost like the way you remove the freehub to disengage the green washer, is this normal? Maybe just 1mm when pulling on it. Cheers!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015484
Mobile Version of Website