YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 1:04 Quote
At what width are you guys running your handlebars? I'm still at the original 82cm, but considering cutting 1-2cm each side.

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 1:26 Quote
I now have lot of noise from the headset.... Just dropped in a new acros one, as the one that came stock was not any good after six months of riding. This was btw covered free of charge by YT industries with no problem at all. This sound reminds me a lot of the sound a cable makes when it’s slapping against the frame but I have secured all the cables and tighten them down and I am positive that is not cables making their snapping sound . I have checked the internal cups where the bearings goes in the frame for damage or pour fitting wit the frame no notable problems there either. I have been looping and tightening literally everything that could make Boisen and I’m now positive that it is the headset area the sound comes from. This sounds comes when I am bunking the front wheel using the front brake or droping in... Has someone else here has had a similar issue...

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 1:36 Quote
mjv88 wrote:
At what width are you guys running your handlebars? I'm still at the original 82cm, but considering cutting 1-2cm each side.
77cm here on a medium 27,5 You should try moving your grips and controls in before cutting down. You might regret it..

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 5:23 Quote
Luisdad wrote:
This sound reminds me a lot of the sound a cable makes when it’s slapping against the frame...

Pike forks are notorious for making a creaking or popping sound from the steerer tube / crown interface getting ever so slightly loose. Sounds a lot like what you describe, and happens in similar situations. Google ‘pike fork creak’ to learn more. If you have a Pike, that may be it.

As far as I’ve heard it doesn’t cause any safety or performance issues, just annoying.

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 6:29 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
jefftrancex1xtr wrote:
schwebbs wrote:
After having read all these recommendations on changing the air shaft on the pike to a 160mm one I want to try it, too. On my 2016 pike rc are sag indicators for 130 and 140mm on the stanchions, not for more travel. Did anyone convert that exact fork to 160mm?

Yes we used the original fork / stanctions - I tryed 160, then dropped to 150 .... You won't use sag indicators for 130 and 140mm, just a ruler and a calculator to optimise your sag.
Good luck, it's cool to DYI tup

Yeah most have moved away from 160mm. I mean, if you're going to ride really rowdy stuff most of the time, I still think it's the way to go. But the bike's just so damn capable even at 140 it's hard for a lot of people to justify the loss of responsiveness for the extra plow-ability. I still swap out for 160mm when the occasion calls for it, but I think I've found my happy place at 140mm w/Luftkappe in low with offset bushings. The fork feels perfect, it's a little more aggro than stock, and you get to keep that short wheelbase. Damn it's good (if you're proficient at avoiding pedal strikes).

Also, for the record, if the 160mm interests you because you want a more capable/plush fork, I honestly think that 140mm w/Luftkappe is better than the 160mm without. You don't get the additional wheelbase and reduced head angle advantages from the longer fork (if that's what your after), but the actual performance gain of the fork is significantly better.

I´m running my Pike at 140mm but I got the Golden Ride tuning by Anyrace Suspension and the fork works like a charm. I want to swap to 160mm and offset bushings on the shock mainly because of the more aggressive geometry

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 6:48 Quote
Check also that front brake cable doesnt hit the dropper, gear shift cables... I thought first that it came from the fork/headset, but it was just the cables hitting together when fork was compressed...

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 8:27 Quote
18 month review.

Been on jeffsy now for approx 18 months. Have tried most things to make the bike a bit more aggressive 150mm pikes, offset bushes, X2 shock. Truth is the jeffsy is a 140mm trail bike not a 160mm enduro smasher. On a recent trip to the alps I realised the maximum potential of the bike which resulted in me selling it. Have just purchased a giant reign and it's a completely different animal. If your riding is the same as mine only go up to come down and are spending extra money trying to transform the bike you may be better off selling up and buying something different. This is only my humble opinion from 18 months of ownership. Enjoy your jeffsy all. Over and out.

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 9:08 Quote
ALSORAN wrote:
18 month review.

Been on jeffsy now for approx 18 months. Have tried most things to make the bike a bit more aggressive 150mm pikes, offset bushes, X2 shock. Truth is the jeffsy is a 140mm trail bike not a 160mm enduro smasher. On a recent trip to the alps I realised the maximum potential of the bike which resulted in me selling it. Have just purchased a giant reign and it's a completely different animal. If your riding is the same as mine only go up to come down and are spending extra money trying to transform the bike you may be better off selling up and buying something different. This is only my humble opinion from 18 months of ownership. Enjoy your jeffsy all. Over and out.

Yeah that's what I've been saying for a while too. I love my Jeffsy and it's exactly what I need it for. I still ride it on some pretty gnarly stuff, but not as crazy fast as the enduro bros in my area. I send some smaller jumps but nothing hardcore. And I don't need it to do that. There are plenty of bikes out there to shred enduro style tracks. Buying a Jeffsy and completely changing it doesn't really make much sense to me, but to each their own. I'm having so much fun on mine, and I hope everyone else is too.

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 10:42 Quote
Vertti83 wrote:
Check also that front brake cable doesnt hit the dropper, gear shift cables... I thought first that it came from the fork/headset, but it was just the cables hitting together when fork was compressed...
I have stripped my cables together so it is not the cable hitting anything I am sure of that the sound is also there when I am holding the cables on the one hand and bunking the front with the other I think I just might have to call yt for advice they will probably tell me just send the bike down to them so they can check it out themselves which is not impossible for me living in Denmark but still I will have to pay the expense of sending it . I guess that its just the name of the game when you are dealing with a online company no hard feelings it is just ignoring ...

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 21:36 Quote
Hey all, I should be getting my CF1 in the next week, fingers crossed. I am going to put a 28T chainring on the front for these Oregon Cascades climbs. How many links should I take out of the chain? Or, how should I determine how many to take it? This will be my first full suspension bike.

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 22:11 Quote
Galennaklar wrote:
Hey all, I should be getting my CF1 in the next week, fingers crossed. I am going to put a 28T chainring on the front for these Oregon Cascades climbs. How many links should I take out of the chain? Or, how should I determine how many to take it? This will be my first full suspension bike.
. You mount ya 28. Put on the chain l. Set ya gear in the hardeast ant take one link at the time till the chain is not dangeling no more. Crank it up in to easyest l gear, and let out the air of your rear suspension, compress it to the fullest and if you can compress your rear suspension full out with chain in easyest gear you got it just right.

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 22:18 Quote
Galennaklar wrote:
http://res.cloudinary.com/yaffa-publishing/image/fetch/http://yaffa-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/yaffadsp/legacy_bicycle/media/XX1%20drive%20chain%20low%20and%20top_0.png

should look like this

Posted: Oct 8, 2017 at 3:39 Quote
Galennaklar wrote:

I'm running 28T and had to remove 2 links (1 outer,1 inner)

Posted: Oct 8, 2017 at 17:40 Quote
Hey folks,

Just had an awesome weekend with the bike! 2 days of lift accessed downhill, as well as a 4 stage enduro on the mountain. The Jeffsy 27, is a really good trail bike, and is totally capable of everything I put it through. I was at highland mountain bike park in northfield, new hampshire usa, and had a blast on it. Hung with a few guys on Capras, and Tues', and my bike definitely wasn't as fast. Granted, i've had the bike 10 days now, and am still working on setting it up how I like it. I was finally able to clear the jump line at highland, (Hellion) check it out on youtube, plenty of videos, and I also did some natural terrain riding (O.B.D.) It also climbed like a charm for the enduro. Didn't need to kill myself for it, and was able to rail the downhills, finishing 7th of 55 riders.

Posted: Oct 9, 2017 at 0:25 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
ALSORAN wrote:
18 month review.

Yeah that's what I've been saying for a while too. I love my Jeffsy and it's exactly what I need it for. I still ride it on some pretty gnarly stuff, but not as crazy fast as the enduro bros in my area. I send some smaller jumps but nothing hardcore. And I don't need it to do that. There are plenty of bikes out there to shred enduro style tracks. Buying a Jeffsy and completely changing it doesn't really make much sense to me, but to each their own. I'm having so much fun on mine, and I hope everyone else is too.

Some people are looking for a cheap version of something like a yeti 5,5. 29 wheels, not too much travel in the back for a direct and efficient feel, agressive geometry etc. Buying a jeffsy and installing a longer fork and a better shock gives you almost a similar geometry to the yeti 5,5 with a fraction of the costs. I live in the alps and mostly ride gnarly and steep stuff and also some enduro races. After i installed a 160mm pike and a used fox dhx rc4 (because the monarch rct3 usually got so hot on the long descents that you couldnt touch it) it suits the technical trails perfectly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005978
Mobile Version of Website