YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 0:36 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
fautquecaswing wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:

I had various recommendations from YT, depending on who emailed me. At first they said that a chainring would need to be the same offset as the stock RF ring, which they said is 0mm. So i tried that, and the ring I ordered looked "flat" and not like the stock RF ring at all. And it didn't work. Chainline was off and felt like it was grinding. So I told them this, and YT then said because of the crank spacing, a non-boost ring would suffice. So I ordered a 6mm offset non-boost ring, and it was ~1mm from my chainstay and would rub if any dirt got on there. I told YT this, and they backpedaled and said that the ring would have to be the same offset the stock ring, given that Raceface using their own ring offset to match their cranks which are already spaced differently than other cranksets.

Confused? Me too. Lots of users here said they had success with boost rings. An absolute black ring may work? I ended up sticking with a 30t RF and it fixed any grinding or poor chainline.

I am using an absolute black NON-boost (oval). It is working quite well for me. It is not perfectly centered, but more on the big cog side. The chain looks weird only on the smallest cog, that can make a bit of noise. It is ok for me, as I live in very steep mountains and I am mainly using the big cogs.
If that can help...

If you have an aluminium frame, there is more clearance between the ring and the chainstay. The carbon models have a metal plate on top of this piece to prevent any wear. This cuts a few mm of clearance off. So larger chainrings (36t) or offsets of 6mm may be too close for comfort. My 30t oval 6mm offset came very close on my CF 1, and I could see a 34 or 36t making total contact at its widest point. But hey, if it's working for you, have at it. I would have put up with a shitty chainline but I couldn't stand the grinding feeling through my cranks. It got worse when I was pedaling hard. Very distracting.

The issue seems more complicated than I was expecting. Better to wait the bicycle itself to see what offset has been originally mounted by YT before ordering a new one.
But, to be precise, from YT they wrote me to buy an original Sram x-sync 2 for my CF Pro with 3mm offset.
I see that you all here are mentioning other producers like raceface and absolute black... maybe there are differences between manufacturers and the original sram 3mm is the best for my carbon frame.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 1:18 Quote
Russyh wrote:
That doesn’t sound correct... A luftkappe with the same tokens and 10-12psi more is going to cause you to struggle for full travel, especially if you had you sag set correctly prior to fitting. The lustkappe whilst increasing the negative chamber also reduces the chamber like fitting another token. So with more air and a same number of tokens run previously you will get a very very progressive ramp up, to the point the fork will feel incredibly harsh on big hits.

I would suggest running the same pressure and one less token, as per vorsprungs recommendation.

Yep, this is good to notice. The official recommendation by Vorsprung is actually:

"Your token configuration should start with two tokens less than you had previously. The maximum number of tokens you can safely run is ONE LESS than what is specified by Rockshox for the configuration of fork you have, when it is in stock guise."

and...

"Your starting air pressure should be approximately 10% higher than your air pressure was before installing the Luftkappe."

I went this route and found it to suit my use very well. I had two tokens initially and I removed both, the air pressure I ended up having is ~20-25% higher than what I had with the original setup. I haven't looked sag that much, but this setup provides still very plush initial stroke, but the mid stroke support is very good and it doesn't bottom out easily. I guess running one token and slightly lower pressure would make initial stroke even more plush, sacrificing some of the midstroke support and about same bottom out resistance...

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 1:24 Quote
Agreed i guess it depends on rider weight and style, I’m 86kg currently in riding gear and found that with tokens and the luftkappe I don’t need the tokens. Which gives me that plush initial small bump compliance excellent midstroke support it very good ramp up towards the end of the travel. If I found I was blowing through the travel like I have done on previous setups without the luftkappe I would fit a token, but adding a luftkappe additional tokens and upping my psi would make the fork pretty harsh in my experience.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 2:41 Quote
To the guys running the Double Barrel Inline:

I got myself an Inline shock but I can´t find the proper mounting hardware for the shock. The front mount on the frame has 17.something mm in width, but I cant find it anywhere. Where did you get your bushings from?

Cheers.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 3:16 Quote
schwebbs wrote:
To the guys running the Double Barrel Inline:

I got myself an Inline shock but I can´t find the proper mounting hardware for the shock. The front mount on the frame has 17.something mm in width, but I cant find it anywhere. Where did you get your bushings from?

Cheers.

It's 17.4 x 10 and 40 x 10 afaik.
Try http://huber-bushings.com/ - they are said to be really good, one set incl. mounting tool, a set of spare bushings and shipping is some 50€. Mine arrived yesterday so I haven't had a chance to mount them but I can let you know once I've had the chance to ride it.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 9:08 Quote
I tried a 32t Supestarcomponents Raptor 104 BCD Oval chainring with my Boost Raceface cranks and the chainline went too close to the frame bacause the chain rubbed rear cassette`s second smallest ring with chain in the biggest gear.
Rear cassette is ten speed 11-42 and works fine with standard round Raceface narrow wide ring.
I wonder what oval chainring would work with this setup?

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 11:25 Quote
Vertti83 wrote:
Russyh wrote:
That doesn’t sound correct... A luftkappe with the same tokens and 10-12psi more is going to cause you to struggle for full travel, especially if you had you sag set correctly prior to fitting. The lustkappe whilst increasing the negative chamber also reduces the chamber like fitting another token. So with more air and a same number of tokens run previously you will get a very very progressive ramp up, to the point the fork will feel incredibly harsh on big hits.

I would suggest running the same pressure and one less token, as per vorsprungs recommendation.

Yep, this is good to notice. The official recommendation by Vorsprung is actually:

"Your token configuration should start with two tokens less than you had previously. The maximum number of tokens you can safely run is ONE LESS than what is specified by Rockshox for the configuration of fork you have, when it is in stock guise."

and...

"Your starting air pressure should be approximately 10% higher than your air pressure was before installing the Luftkappe."

I went this route and found it to suit my use very well. I had two tokens initially and I removed both, the air pressure I ended up having is ~20-25% higher than what I had with the original setup. I haven't looked sag that much, but this setup provides still very plush initial stroke, but the mid stroke support is very good and it doesn't bottom out easily. I guess running one token and slightly lower pressure would make initial stroke even more plush, sacrificing some of the midstroke support and about same bottom out resistance...

Good to know. I am actually using NO token at all. I am 73kg.
I do not remember the exact pressure, but I am just a bit over 20% sag (let's say 21%).
For me that is the only configuration where I can have a stiff enough fork and being close to bottoming on the highest gaps I do.
With tokens, I had to reduce too much the pressure to be able to use the full travel, and I was felling the fork too soft (even with lot of low speed stiffness) otherwise with the pressure I like, I was on a 120mm fork!

But that's maybe because I am doing only natural and enduro trails, no bike park with tables and doubles?

So maybe the Luftkappe is not for me, what do you think?

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 11:27 Quote
AlexG67 wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
fautquecaswing wrote:

I am using an absolute black NON-boost (oval). It is working quite well for me. It is not perfectly centered, but more on the big cog side. The chain looks weird only on the smallest cog, that can make a bit of noise. It is ok for me, as I live in very steep mountains and I am mainly using the big cogs.
If that can help...

If you have an aluminium frame, there is more clearance between the ring and the chainstay. The carbon models have a metal plate on top of this piece to prevent any wear. This cuts a few mm of clearance off. So larger chainrings (36t) or offsets of 6mm may be too close for comfort. My 30t oval 6mm offset came very close on my CF 1, and I could see a 34 or 36t making total contact at its widest point. But hey, if it's working for you, have at it. I would have put up with a shitty chainline but I couldn't stand the grinding feeling through my cranks. It got worse when I was pedaling hard. Very distracting.

The issue seems more complicated than I was expecting. Better to wait the bicycle itself to see what offset has been originally mounted by YT before ordering a new one.
But, to be precise, from YT they wrote me to buy an original Sram x-sync 2 for my CF Pro with 3mm offset.
I see that you all here are mentioning other producers like raceface and absolute black... maybe there are differences between manufacturers and the original sram 3mm is the best for my carbon frame.

I have a carbon frame, but using a 28T, so no pb Big Grin
I remember seeing absolute black 34T on carbon frames on this forum, and it was close to the metallic protection but fine nevertheless.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 14:06 Quote
fautquecaswing wrote:
Vertti83 wrote:
Russyh wrote:

and...

I do not remember the exact pressure, but I am just a bit over 20% sag (let's say 21%).
For me that is the only configuration where I can have a stiff enough fork and being close to bottoming on the highest gaps I do.
With tokens, I had to reduce too much the pressure to be able to use the full travel, and I was felling the fork too soft (even with lot of low speed stiffness) otherwise with the pressure I like, I was on a 120mm fork!

But that's maybe because I am doing only natural and enduro trails, no bike park with tables and doubles?

In retrospect it looks like I read your initial post wrong, but it sounded like you were blowing through travel and needed more ramp up (hence very aggressive token/psi recommendations). If you're happy with your travel usage, then I'd follow exactly Vorsprung's outline above (which is what I did with my fork and am happy with).

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 23:34 Quote
fautquecaswing wrote:
Vertti83 wrote:
Russyh wrote:

and...

120mm fork and no token won't work at all - Rockshox recommendations are right: short travel is to add a maximum of tokens - Now if you use a Luftkappe, you will remove 1 minimum to 3 tokens - all depends your ride and weight.
my thoughts

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 13:18 Quote
jefftrancex1xtr wrote:
fautquecaswing wrote:
Vertti83 wrote:

and...

120mm fork and no token won't work at all - Rockshox recommendations are right: short travel is to add a maximum of tokens - Now if you use a Luftkappe, you will remove 1 minimum to 3 tokens - all depends your ride and weight.
my thoughts

Sorry my english was unclear.
I am using a 140mm pike. What I wanted to say is when I use tokens, if I want enough support/stiffness on the beginning of the travel, I never use 20mm of the travel, it is like if I am using a 120mm fork. But if I reduce the pressure to use full travel, the fork is not sitff enough, there is no support at all, and I cannot control anything.
The only setting that suits me is no token.

What kind of sensation is bringing the luftkappe? What does it correct/add?

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 at 18:00 Quote
Just looking for opinions... I ordered my jeffsy cf1 29 on Oct. 6th the avaliblity date on the website said available the 11th... Then after I purchased I got an email it said first available day is the 17th it's only the 18th but I'm having flashbacks of reading people stuggles! When should I email them and ask "where the bleep is my bike!"

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 at 0:24 Quote
Hi guys, just been reading through the forum a bit but I thought I'd take a shortcut, I'm getting my son a jeffsy Al 27 and was wondering if there was anything in particular I should be careful of, out of the box, apart from the obvious checking for play, torques, and grease, buying a new bike for me as well so I'm maxed out on reading up Wink

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 at 4:52 Quote
bbc611 wrote:
Just looking for opinions... I ordered my jeffsy cf1 29 on Oct. 6th the avaliblity date on the website said available the 11th... Then after I purchased I got an email it said first available day is the 17th it's only the 18th but I'm having flashbacks of reading people stuggles! When should I email them and ask "where the bleep is my bike!"

Website says they’re in stock, so your bike should ship very soon. Seems like last batch got hung up a bit in customs, but that’d be the only hang up I could imagine at this point.

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 at 5:50 Quote
bbc611 wrote:

you can buy mine? its frame only although its only fork and wheels off a full bike. save you having to mess about with luftkappes and 160 airshafts!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017231
Mobile Version of Website