YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Author Message
Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 5:00 Quote
schwebbs wrote:
matadorCE wrote:
Anyone has a Cane Creek DBAir IL on their Jeffsy 29? I got one for my bike but the hardware doesn't quite fit. It looks like the Cane Creek shock shafts are a little bit narrower than on the Monarch R shock, so the sleeve sticks out of the spacers.

You need to get new bushings from Cane Creek that match your CCDB IL, the ones of the Monarch won´t fit

I found the ones for the rear, but Cane Creek doesn't even list the ones needed for the front.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 5:10 Quote
I’ve moved my post to the Jeffsy 27 forum Smile

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 6:14 Quote
matadorCE wrote:
schwebbs wrote:
matadorCE wrote:
Anyone has a Cane Creek DBAir IL on their Jeffsy 29? I got one for my bike but the hardware doesn't quite fit. It looks like the Cane Creek shock shafts are a little bit narrower than on the Monarch R shock, so the sleeve sticks out of the spacers.

You need to get new bushings from Cane Creek that match your CCDB IL, the ones of the Monarch won´t fit

I found the ones for the rear, but Cane Creek doesn't even list the ones needed for the front.

I had the same problem, so I ordered custom ones at http://huber-bushings.com/ . Don´t know if thats the best option as you´re in the US

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 7:04 Quote
wowbagger wrote:
BreakLikeTheWind wrote:
Mine's 11 months old and I've just ordered new bearings. Certainly the main ones need changing.

I wish I had re-greased the main bearings more often.

where did you order and how many of which ones do i need? feel like i should do this after winter is over..

I got a complete set from Kinetic Bearings. Ordered Sunday, arrived today (Tuesday)

https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/frame-pivot-bearing-kit-yt-industries-jeffsy-alu-carbon-2016-2017.html

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 8:16 Quote
Jonsiglow wrote:
Just received the email. My 2018 Jeffsy AL 29er is on the way!

Can’t wait to build it.

How long after you purchased did your bike ship? I purchased mid day friday and still waiting on a shipment number.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 8:46 Quote
jon052589 wrote:
Jonsiglow wrote:
Just received the email. My 2018 Jeffsy AL 29er is on the way!

Can’t wait to build it.

How long after you purchased did your bike ship? I purchased mid day friday and still waiting on a shipment number.

Their system can be weird, you may never get a shipment number or any sort of additional confirmation. My bike just showed up about 7 biz days after purchase and I live across the country from their warehouse.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 8:53 Quote

Hey all finally finished my custom build on my AL 1. Upgraded wheels and tires make a huge difference from an already great stock bike!

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 8:55 Quote
BreakLikeTheWind wrote:
wowbagger wrote:
BreakLikeTheWind wrote:
Mine's 11 months old and I've just ordered new bearings. Certainly the main ones need changing.

I wish I had re-greased the main bearings more often.

where did you order and how many of which ones do i need? feel like i should do this after winter is over..

I got a complete set from Kinetic Bearings. Ordered Sunday, arrived today (Tuesday)

https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/frame-pivot-bearing-kit-yt-industries-jeffsy-alu-carbon-2016-2017.html

This is all you need to replace the bearings? I asked a shop about this and they said it costs roughly $30 per bearing to replace. So it'd be an expensive job. Maybe that includes the labour cost and such?

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 9:33 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:

This is all you need to replace the bearings? I asked a shop about this and they said it costs roughly $30 per bearing to replace. So it'd be an expensive job. Maybe that includes the labour cost and such?

That shop is sounding overly expensive to me right now. Considering that there are 8 bearings in the frame (not counting the doubles in the Horst pivot), that's $240 for like a 2 hour job. Even if that includes the price of the bearings, that's still like $90/hr for labor. There are attorneys that cost less than that.

If it were me, and I were replacing bearings (rather than servicing them), I'd get some Enduro bearings, and press them out/in myself with a set of sockets and a threaded rod and save the extra $175.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 10:03 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:

This is all you need to replace the bearings? I asked a shop about this and they said it costs roughly $30 per bearing to replace. So it'd be an expensive job. Maybe that includes the labour cost and such?

That shop is sounding overly expensive to me right now. Considering that there are 8 bearings in the frame (not counting the doubles in the Horst pivot), that's $240 for like a 2 hour job. Even if that includes the price of the bearings, that's still like $90/hr for labor. There are attorneys that cost less than that.

If it were me, and I were replacing bearings (rather than servicing them), I'd get some Enduro bearings, and press them out/in myself with a set of sockets and a threaded rod and save the extra $175.

The bearings listed on the exploded drawing of the Jeffsy are all you need, 11 in total, the ones listed as full compliment are ceramic bearings. I went for standard bearings and just re-packed each side with more grease, I think they cost under £30 for SKF, I also sourced some replacement 'o' rings for next nothing, I find the whole 'enduro' bearings thing a bit of a rip off as most bearings that are used in bike frames have been available for many years and work in a variety of applications. Once you have the correct type of tool, homemade or otherwise to remove or install the bearings it is quite an easy procedure, and definitely worth doing every few months if you want the bike to run as it did when new.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 12:09 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:

This is all you need to replace the bearings? I asked a shop about this and they said it costs roughly $30 per bearing to replace. So it'd be an expensive job. Maybe that includes the labour cost and such?

That shop is sounding overly expensive to me right now. Considering that there are 8 bearings in the frame (not counting the doubles in the Horst pivot), that's $240 for like a 2 hour job. Even if that includes the price of the bearings, that's still like $90/hr for labor. There are attorneys that cost less than that.



If it were me, and I were replacing bearings (rather than servicing them), I'd get some Enduro bearings, and press them out/in myself with a set of sockets and a threaded rod and save the extra $175.

This is when I lived back in Vancouver but I'm elsewhere now and will check with my local shops to see what they say. I may buy the bearings myself and have them press them in, as I've never done anything like that before. Just wanted to be sure before I do thay.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 12:23 Quote
Ordered a 29 AL last night, super stoked but waiting a month for delivery is going to be brutal. Hopefully it stays wet and snowy so I don’t feel as bad.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 16:11 Quote
Kiotae wrote:
jon052589 wrote:
Jonsiglow wrote:
Just received the email. My 2018 Jeffsy AL 29er is on the way!

Can’t wait to build it.

How long after you purchased did your bike ship? I purchased mid day friday and still waiting on a shipment number.

Their system can be weird, you may never get a shipment number or any sort of additional confirmation. My bike just showed up about 7 biz days after purchase and I live across the country from their warehouse.

I ordered mine 2 Saturdays ago and was told I won’t get it until mid February. I think it’s dependant on where you live. I’m in Calgary... I think the Canadian shipping is slow... or can be spotty... according to other posts.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 18:44 Quote
Got my 2018 Jeffsy AL today. Needless to say it's sweet. I'm very happy I went with the "lower" spec. It's stupidly well spec'd for the $. ethirteen dropper is just beautiful... so much better than any of the other, more expensive ones I've used.

Not 100% sure if the tape on the wheels is tubeless tape.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 3:00 Quote
goldfly wrote:
Got my 2018 Jeffsy AL today. Needless to say it's sweet. I'm very happy I went with the "lower" spec. It's stupidly well spec'd for the $. ethirteen dropper is just beautiful... so much better than any of the other, more expensive ones I've used.

Not 100% sure if the tape on the wheels is tubeless tape.

I visited the DT Swiss website... the specs for the rim are as follows... under the heading 'Inclusive'

Tubeless tape 32 mm
Tubeless valve MTB 32 mm
IS 6-bolt adapter MTB

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/wheels-mtb/all-mountain/m-1900-spline/m-1900-spline-30/


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006412
Mobile Version of Website