YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 13:53 Quote
Anyone running the dpx2? How do you like?

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 16:25 Quote
tom666 wrote:
I believe the Rhythm forks you can't buy aftermarket. They only come OEM.

That's likely why you can't find much on them. Maybe the best idea is to find a review of a bike that comes specced with them and see what comments they make about the fork in that.

I rode a rhythm on a rental bike and it was pretty good, I thought. They're designed just to work without much fuss. And I find too many things can go wrong with the various settings and dials on higher end suspension.

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 16:30 Quote
Just an FYI, i was told today the Al 29 shipment is delayed atleast 2 more weeks, pretty bummed.

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 16:47 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Just an FYI, i was told today the Al 29 shipment is delayed atleast 2 more weeks, pretty bummed.

I have a buddy who wanted to buy an AL Jeffsy and I told him to order asap to avoid delays into riding season, and with that info he's actually decided to go with another brand that he can buy from a shop when he has the money. These delays def affecting their business. I guess that's the catch when ordering direct...but seems that most other countries have speedy delivery.

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 17:56 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

I have a buddy who wanted to buy an AL Jeffsy and I told him to order asap to avoid delays into riding season, and with that info he's actually decided to go with another brand that he can buy from a shop when he has the money. These delays def affecting their business. I guess that's the catch when ordering direct...but seems that most other countries have speedy delivery.

Ya, I actually asked to pay the difference for the Al Comp or CF 29er that is available in XL but they said they would have to do a full refund, which would take 3-5 days to happen, and then I could purchase the other bike. I know with my luck, both bikes would be sold out in XL by the time I got my refund. A little annoyed they coulda figure that out.

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 17:57 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:

I was told last week they would be shipped around the 23rd.

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 20:17 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

Ya, I actually asked to pay the difference for the Al Comp or CF 29er that is available in XL but they said they would have to do a full refund, which would take 3-5 days to happen, and then I could purchase the other bike. I know with my luck, both bikes would be sold out in XL by the time I got my refund. A little annoyed they coulda figure that out.

wow that sucks. when i ordered mine in 2016, and they ran out of stock, they offered me the next tier up at no charge. They also offered me the carbon one for $600 more and i wouldn't have to cancel my order. Sadly i didnt have the 600 at the time. Still love the AL One though Smile

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 2:58 Quote
Hipnosis wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

Just wondering Branmuffin, what was your original delivery date? Mine was Feb 14th... and only a few days ago I was informed the delivery would be delayed until around the 23rd. Which isn't 2 weeks, but getting close. Thanks.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 3:20 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

YT are in a kind of bizaar situation where they basically have more business than they can handle. Every time they get stock in it sells out fast. Increase in demand for their products has far exceeded their ability to establish, grow and develop dealership networks so it's all a bit of a mess. To me it also feels like their base is in Europe and they're sending bikes to America and Canada as and when they can keep bikes in stock long enough to fill a container.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 3:56 Quote
tom666 wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

YT are in a kind of bizaar situation where they basically have more business than they can handle. Every time they get stock in it sells out fast. Increase in demand for their products has far exceeded their ability to establish, grow and develop dealership networks so it's all a bit of a mess. To me it also feels like their base is in Europe and they're sending bikes to America and Canada as and when they can keep bikes in stock long enough to fill a container.

Seems a bit odd to me. You could see some of the new models from other companies well before Christmas. I was looking at Devinci and they had their new bikes online I think in November. They jacked all their prices up by about $600 so I went looking elsewhere. I then came across YT. If YT are selling in North America and the bikes are in demand, why not load up a container, ship over some bikes and then put them online for Canadian and American consumers. When the order is in, ship it out. As the stock goes out, more bikes come in. Rinse and repeat.

I think you're right... I ordered on January 13th and delivery date at that time was February 14th (tomorrow). Now it has been pushed back by at least 9 days. I imagine my bike sitting in a half loaded container in China waiting for other YT's to fill the container before they get shipped across the pond. How long will that take? I really want this bike, but my patience is only so long. Luckily I am still a few months way from the melt. If it was summer... no way I would order from this company.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 5:26 Quote
Hipnosis wrote:
Hipnosis wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

Just wondering Branmuffin, what was your original delivery date? Mine was Feb 14th... and only a few days ago I was informed the delivery would be delayed until around the 23rd. Which isn't 2 weeks, but getting close. Thanks.

Original date was Feb. 14. and ordered in the US if that makes a difference. He said “about 2 weeks, towards the end of the month” imo if they aren’t on a boat yet, I am not holding my breath. I guess I will stick it out and hopefully it’s delivered by mid March, if not I will probably cancel and go to my LBS, just hard to spend an extra $1500 for a similar group set on a bike at my local shop. YT knows they have a smoking deal on these bikes, it’s the only way this model of lackadaisical commitment times works out for them.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 5:35 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Hipnosis wrote:
Hipnosis wrote:

Original date was Feb. 14. and ordered in the US if that makes a difference. He said “about 2 weeks, towards the end of the month” imo if they aren’t on a boat yet, I am not holding my breath. I guess I will stick it out and hopefully it’s delivered by mid March, if not I will probably cancel and go to my LBS, just hard to spend an extra $1500 for a similar group set on a bike at my local shop. YT knows they have a smoking deal on these bikes, it’s the only way this model of lackadaisical commitment times works out for them.

I'm in Canada and I have heard delivery is more of a problem here. It will be a nice sight to see it show up at my door. Each day I hope the bell will ring and I'll get a surprise like some people. But, like you said, I am not holding my breath.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 8:02 Quote
Ordered my Jeffsy 29 about a week ago...ship from date was (is) listed as tomorrow. I've not received any follow up info at all since ordering. I'm not sweating it at all yet, with 14" or so of fresh snow on the ground we're still months out from the ride season (and I'm getting hand surgery on the 1st so I'll be on the DL anyway) but it's going to get pretty tough to have boxes of bolt on kit sitting in the garage with no bike to bolt to!

I just want to stare at it in the living room is all...can't wait. Hoping we don't see any significant delays.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 8:05 Quote
I don't like to rag on the guy. But I think all these issues are with the canadian rep. There's only one of him, and he's a nice guy, but clearly needs help. He can't meet any deadlines and he has to handle everything for the whole country. So when those bikes get off the boat, he goes to pick then up and is responsible for manually shipping them to us. They get shipped from yt Canada headquarters, not Germany. Meanwhile he's rammed with warranty requests and shipping back and fourth to sram, Shimano, etc. Plus he travels to do demo events.

The whole system seems unorganized. Yt's email stopped working for months at a time, apparently. I have three different email addresses for JM, his cellphone, and I send messages to all of them plus here on pinkbike to get his attention. Anything that has to be cleared with head office in Germany is a lost cause. That will get forgotten in the shuffle, for sure.

He's come through for me a number of times and got things fixed quickly for me, but that was after weeks of repeated contact. A LBS would have sorted out these issues for me on the same day. And after the warranty replace disaster I had to down with my brakes, I'd honestly rather just buy new parts than wait months for things to be fixed.

Great product, awesome bike, but needs a lot of work in the customer service department to retain business. At least here in Canada, I've heard great reviews from Europe and USA customers. From what I've heard, commencal doesn't have any of these problems in north America and are competitively priced. I don't think their bikes are as good, but as they grow they'll likely have sweet 29ers available one day. And, Canyon is getting into the north America market too. Which could eat into yts portions as well.

All of these things are great for one thing: us, the consumer. The more choice we have to spend our money, the more competitively priced things will be.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 8:15 Quote
When I saw the in stock status of the 2018 models earlier this year I thought that YT had (hopefully) sorted out their production/ship issues.

It's beginning to look like it may be a repeat of last year. However, it is still pretty early in the year for the new runs, so I'd advise a little patience for those who are pushed out to the end of the month. If end of the month turns into end of March, they by all means, bail and get something else if you don't already have a ride to get you through.

YT and other direct sales companies are really turning the industry on their head with their price/spec model. This is certainly one factor in their inability to keep models in stock. The rest of the biking industry is just insane on pricing for good kit as we know. The other to me is production. If you haven't read the article on Carbon vs AL posted here on PB I recommend it. One of the big takeaways that I had no concept of was production time on bikes. Average of 90-120 days on carbon, 150-180 days on AL. Just wow. Those of you who have received your 18 models, consider that they began life as early as September/October last year.

YT (and others) have to look at the market, determine demand and then place orders - without ordering too much lest they get stuck with overstock (worked for me and others who got screaming deals on the 17 models). All the while the frames are getting built, they also have to make sure that the have enough supply of all the hangy bits that go on the bike. With as many bike manufacturers demanding components from the big players I'm sure they are having their own supply/demand problems to deal with as well.

Anyway, all of that to say it is a complicated issue with a lot of moving parts. Just wish they had better communication to their customers. It would go a long way!

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018707
Mobile Version of Website