YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 11:57 Quote
Funkhouser wrote:
Anyone else have much trouble with the TRS wheels? (2017 Jeffsy variety)

I really like how they run but my problem is the spokes, I reckon I must snap at least one a fortnight. It’s so frequent I just leave it till 2 or 3 have gone before I get the wheel fixed.

That’s not to mention the complete hub rebuild it’s had and a snapped axle.

Maybe it’s worth having the wheel completely relaced from scratch with new spokes? Otherwise I’m gonna have to get rid....

It’s only the rear btw. The front has been faultless.

Yeah mate, I think it's a problem...I think some of us had super high spoke tension on the brand new wheels, well above the e.13 recommended spoke tension...mine breaking at the j-bend...I'm really sick of it...on my 7th spoke, gonna just rebuild it...although wondering if it's worth sending to e.13...

Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 14:57 Quote
Hammerschmidt wrote:

After 9 months and about 350 miles I started having spokes break on my rear wheel, even on flat roads and stuff, really annoying, I'm on my 7th spoke. I have 2017 Jeffsy 29 CF1, TRS wheelset with alloy rims and 2.0/1.8/2.0 butted spokes. The tension on the drive side is 170kgf, I just looked at the e.13 website and they suggest 110-130kgf, so something is wrong with these wheelset, tension is way too high. I might send my wheel in, I'm so tired of this...or maybe just rebuild it, depends how long the turn-around is, just coming into riding season too!

Spoke tension is way too high for sure. And I've seen it on other e13 wheels. In my experience, reducing the tension seems to cure broken spokes.

Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 18:19 Quote
Just ordered the debonair air spring upgrade for my 17 RS pike. It has about 150 miles and I want to service it because i read about pikes shipping dry.

Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 22:26 Quote
DigitlBikr wrote:

Seems to be par for the course. They don't really tell you much, but they actually get things fixed relatively quickly, generally speaking.

This was very much my experience of living in Germany for three years a few years back. In the UK, there is the myth of German efficiency: everybody thinks that jobs get done quickly in Germany. They don't get done quickly, but they do get done incredibly thoroughly and professionally. Your car would be in the garage for longer than in Britain, but you wouldn't be having to go back to the garage any time soon....

Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 22:26 Quote
Finally took the plunge and ordered last night. Thanks for the help and guidance- it was greatly appreciated.

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 1:21 Quote
Rance wrote:
Finally took the plunge and ordered last night. Thanks for the help and guidance- it was greatly appreciated.

Congrats! Did you go AL or AL Comp?
Either way: you're in for a treat! Smile

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 1:51 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
I question this too. Some of the coil-lovers in this thread will probably tell you that their jeffsy coil setup is endless traction and zero bobbing and that its the best combination of all time etc etc but really there has to be some downside. If it truly was better, than YT would spec their bikes with coils. Right?

Although I do like how companies are at least giving bike owners options for whatever suspension option they want.

I believe this boils down to price and adjustability.
As YT is selling bikes to consumers directly and price is one of the biggest factors in their competition strategy, an air shock is very easy in that regard that it can be easily adjusted to suit different weight/riding style riders with just adding or removing air and volume spacers, so they can just order 5000 similar air shocks and use that for all frame sizes.

Where as with coil shocks they would need to either bargain with adjustability and ship only one coil which would suit an average rider for given frame size, or ship 2-3 different springs and increase price. So if they would spec some model with coil spring, the price would increase as they would need to order 1000 of each different stiffness coil springs instead of slapping same on all sizes. Generally in market economy the more identical items you buy, price per item becomes cheaper...

When you buy from a bike shop, they can more easily match with correct stiffness spring as they can keep small buffer of different springs in the store and so on.

I guess quite few "consumer direct" bikes are equipped with coil springs in general..?

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 9:21 Quote
Vertti83 wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
I question this too. Some of the coil-lovers in this thread will probably tell you that their jeffsy coil setup is endless traction and zero bobbing and that its the best combination of all time etc etc but really there has to be some downside. If it truly was better, than YT would spec their bikes with coils. Right?

Although I do like how companies are at least giving bike owners options for whatever suspension option they want.

I believe this boils down to price and adjustability.
As YT is selling bikes to consumers directly and price is one of the biggest factors in their competition strategy, an air shock is very easy in that regard that it can be easily adjusted to suit different weight/riding style riders with just adding or removing air and volume spacers, so they can just order 5000 similar air shocks and use that for all frame sizes.

Where as with coil shocks they would need to either bargain with adjustability and ship only one coil which would suit an average rider for given frame size, or ship 2-3 different springs and increase price. So if they would spec some model with coil spring, the price would increase as they would need to order 1000 of each different stiffness coil springs instead of slapping same on all sizes. Generally in market economy the more identical items you buy, price per item becomes cheaper...

When you buy from a bike shop, they can more easily match with correct stiffness spring as they can keep small buffer of different springs in the store and so on.

I guess quite few "consumer direct" bikes are equipped with coil springs in general..?

It's not really possible to have 0 bobbing on a bike with only an 80% value anti-squat factor. Yeah you can ramp up low speed compression on a user tunable shock and that will help a lot, especially with this suspension designs capability over overwhelming low speed compression in the initial part of the stroke, but you're going to compromise sensitivity to small bumps if you do that. Theoretically, an air shocks resistance at the beginning of the stroke (especially one with a small negative air volume) will also improve pedaling, which a coil won't do, being more linear and responsive off the top end.

A coil will improve many things, including the bottom out performance (use of all travel) without the need of excess spacers, the wallow, which can be caused by removing spacers to try to get full travel on less aggro trails, etc. Pedaling is not one of the things it will improve just based on the behavior of coil springs.

The reason the bike is specced with an air shock is fairly obvious. Weight is one of them, people don't want to buy a trailbike that weighs as much as a sled. Also, the bike IS a trailbike, something this forum seems to forget sometimes. It's not an enduro or full on all mountain bike, even if it does dabble in that realm lightly. Trailbike buyers are not going to be interested in a coil shock that weighs a lot and does not offer adjustability like you mentioned, and they sure aren't going to be interested in buying a custom spring for their weight, when a good air shock is 100% cheaper in that regard, 80% as good on the downhills, and capable of being tuned to climb and rail flat ground with an air pump and a few knobs (at least in theory).

Also, YT would be going majorly against the current industry trend by speccing a coil shock to this bike, seeing as it's squarely in the mid-travel 29er trail bike category. Let's not forget the average buyer probably doesn't know a lot of what is discussed in this thread, and would be easily put off by something different. They do have to play the market to some degree at least.

I really am interested in possibly putting a DBAirIL on this bike, I wish someone else had done so by now (I only found one example so far). The air spring on that shock is remarkably linear (literally called the lineAIR spring) and I would really like to know how it performs on this frame.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 9:45 Quote
inflatlight wrote:
Spoke issues here two, I've broken two so far, in the parking lot.

e13 said I could send the wheel back for inspection. I don't want to be without the bike for a couple of weeks so I am replacing the spokes for now but will probably send it back to them for warranty.

Update on spoke issues, I contacted e13 after breaking a couple more spokes. They sent me a pre-paid return label, rebuilt the wheel and had it back to me in a week. Hopefully it holds up.

I saw the notes about the tension, I guess I should re-check the tension since I have it back and make sure it's inline.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 10:58 Quote
DigitlBikr wrote:
I really am interested in possibly putting a DBAirIL on this bike, I wish someone else had done so by now (I only found one example so far). The air spring on that shock is remarkably linear (literally called the lineAIR spring) and I would really like to know how it performs on this frame.

So, I ran a DBInline for a while until it needed it's second $200 rebuild and I chose to part ways. The air springs are very similar. Leaving the notorious DBInline reliability issues aside, I'd say that it's tied for the best shock I've had on my Jeffsy so far (with the DVO Topaz). Even with no spacers, I had a hard time getting full travel out of the Monach and Float DPS EVOL that I tried. The DBInline was the first high-volume shock I tried on the bike, and it was a game changer. I was able to get full travel (in appropriate situations), at proper sag, no wallowing, and plenty of small bump compliance. While it was working, the shock felt fantastic.

Alas, at the end of the day, I was pretty turned off to Cane Creek via their customer service and reliability issues, so I went for a different brand for the next shock. If you're thinking about taking the plunge on the DBAirIL, I'd say it's worth a shot--especially if you like to tinker with settings.

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 11:04 Quote
Hey guys sorry if this is a stupid question, someone local is selling a DVO topaz for a cheap price and I want to pick it up for my 2018 jeffsy.

When buying an aftermarket shock do I only need to be aware of the size? This DVO is 200x57 which is the same as what’s on the jeffsy now?

Also for anyone who has a Topaz on their Jeffsy, what mounting hardware do I need to get? This Topaz has “open eyelet on the bottom and 19x8 on top”.

My jeffsy came with the Monarch RT3, will I be able to use the same mounting hardware?

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 11:13 Quote
Teuton wrote:
Hey guys sorry if this is a stupid question, someone local is selling a DVO topaz for a cheap price and I want to pick it up for my 2018 jeffsy.

When buying an aftermarket shock do I only need to be aware of the size? This DVO is 200x57 which is the same as what’s on the jeffsy now?

Also for anyone who has a Topaz on their Jeffsy, what mounting hardware do I need to get? This Topaz has “open eyelet on the bottom and 19x8 on top”.

My jeffsy came with the Monarch RT3, will I be able to use the same mounting hardware?

Yes, that's the right size. You can probably use same mounting hardware. You might need new DU bushings, and will likely need a bushing tool. If you're concerned, call DVO and have them send you the mounting hardware for a Jeffsy/Topaz combo. Also, DVO has been super awesome to deal with. Whether it's been tuning or warranty, they've always provided outstanding customer service.

Enjoy your awesome shock!

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 11:18 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
Teuton wrote:

Yes, that's the right size. You can probably use same mounting hardware. You might need new DU bushings, and will likely need a bushing tool. If you're concerned, call DVO and have them send you the mounting hardware for a Jeffsy/Topaz combo. Also, DVO has been super awesome to deal with. Whether it's been tuning or warranty, they've always provided outstanding customer service.

Enjoy your awesome shock!

Awesome man. Thanks for the info

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 12:03 Quote
Does anyone here with the Fox Float DPX2 have any opinions on it regarding performance on the Jeffsy? I'm looking at picking one up and was wondering if people liked it or preferred the Topaz or something else.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 13:27 Quote
DigitlBikr wrote:
Does anyone here with the Fox Float DPX2 have any opinions on it regarding performance on the Jeffsy? I'm looking at picking one up and was wondering if people liked it or preferred the Topaz or something else.

I am impressed by it honestly. I think its the best air shock (trail model) I have ridden to date. I would echo saying the feedback of the shock being progressive, and has plenty of adjustability with volume spacers etc to suit your needs.

I'm a 205lb rider, and running the out of the box volume spacer with sag at about 28% and love the thing. Plenty of bottom stroke support, and suppleness elsewhere in the travel. Setup was super easy for me as well....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012794
Mobile Version of Website