YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 3:40 Quote
Vertti83 wrote:
1&2. I wouldn't go with 35% sag on low setting, I'd keep it between 25...30%. With more sag the pedalling efficiency will be worse, and slackened STA tends to make it even more worse. You could try however with high setting and more sag, that would "counteract" the negative sides to some extent. Anyway, playing with the sag is easy, so do test with different settings and figure out what works the best for you.

That's not really how it works. The Jeffsy is designed with 25-30% sag in mind.
The efficiency won't go out the window, compared to sag at 20%. Because the progressiveness of the suspension, which counters pedal bob.
So the higher leverage ratio value, should actually make it more efficient while pedaling, compared to a firmer spring rate and a lower leverage ratio.
I find the sweet spot on my 27, to be around 25-27% sag.

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 3:49 Quote
SkipSkovhugger wrote:
Vertti83 wrote:
1&2. I wouldn't go with 35% sag on low setting, I'd keep it between 25...30%. With more sag the pedalling efficiency will be worse, and slackened STA tends to make it even more worse. You could try however with high setting and more sag, that would "counteract" the negative sides to some extent. Anyway, playing with the sag is easy, so do test with different settings and figure out what works the best for you.

That's not really how it works. The Jeffsy is designed with 25-30% sag in mind.
The efficiency won't go out the window, compared to sag at 20%. Because deeper in sag, you have more anti-squad, which counters pedal bob.
So the higher anti-squad value, should actually make it more efficient while pedaling, compared to a firmer spring rate and less anti-squad.
I find the sweet spot on my 27, to be around 25-27% sag.

Nope, anti squat it's around 30% beyond that drops fast. And only when at the lowest gears. Reason is antisquat deeper in the travel offers nothing except problems, if you are deep in the travel it's unlikely you'll pedal, anti squat also causes peddal kickback, this when using the last part of travel makes suspension unresponsive, fatiquing and harsh. something that the jeffsy doesn't suffer from.

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 3:53 Quote
Leverage ratio and progression has nothing to do with pedal bob, anti squat or pedal kickback, mechanical advantage is totally independed from the mechanics of the axle path in relation with the i.c , bb, and power transmission. 2 different chapters completely

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 4:38 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:

That's great to hear! Pm me if you want to ride around machairas trails, or anywhere around the island for that matter

Definitely mate- still haven't ridden Athalassa park yet and realise the Jeffsy will be better than a DH bike there. Also hear the Troodos Enduro should be going ahead in the Autumn, so will hopefully race that!

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
Rance wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

That's great to hear! Pm me if you want to ride around machairas trails, or anywhere around the island for that matter

Definitely mate- still haven't ridden Athalassa park yet and realise the Jeffsy will be better than a DH bike there. Also hear the Troodos Enduro should be going ahead in the Autumn, so will hopefully race that!

Athalassa park is nothing special. Just a hill with some jumps mostly made wrong. Everybody I know allmost had a big crash there and got metal implants, actualy a guy broke both his colarbones in a year. Shit place to ride. City boys make it big deal because have nowhere to go!
There are lots of trails that take 1/2 to 1hr to do. Athalassa is like 30sec segments and then you have to climb the hill again. Shitplace!

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 11:47 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
Anyone else had an E13 rear hub axle shear?

Yep, manufacturing issue on limited number of hubs according to E13. They were very helpful about taking care of it. Sent a return label for the wheel and rebuilt the hub with an updated axle design and bearings.

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 13:19 Quote
stormyMonday wrote:
BarneyStinson wrote:
Anyone else had an E13 rear hub axle shear?

Yep, manufacturing issue on limited number of hubs according to E13. They were very helpful about taking care of it. Sent a return label for the wheel and rebuilt the hub with an updated axle design and bearings.

Thanks, good to know.

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 18:30 Quote
So I have the 29 AL 2018 version. I am debating on upgrading suspension, sounds like the DVO topaz and diamond setup is the trick? The debate is do I pull the trigger and upgrade the suspension for a grand or do I hold out and just upgrade to a better model of the bike a few years down the road. I recently picked up a summer job where I am making more money than I thought but have a hard time dropping half the money I spent on the bike on some suspension. Is it really that big of a difference on the bike? I love my current Jeffsy and I ride in the Hurricane/St George area and its rocky, I like to go fast and after a recent trip to Brian Head my bike felt underpowered on the steep descent with choppy trail. Also rode the Whole Enchilada a couple weeks ago and felt rattled at the end of the trail.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2018 at 6:15 Quote
tlaity wrote:
So I have the 29 AL 2018 version. I am debating on upgrading suspension, sounds like the DVO topaz and diamond setup is the trick? The debate is do I pull the trigger and upgrade the suspension for a grand or do I hold out and just upgrade to a better model of the bike a few years down the road. I recently picked up a summer job where I am making more money than I thought but have a hard time dropping half the money I spent on the bike on some suspension. Is it really that big of a difference on the bike? I love my current Jeffsy and I ride in the Hurricane/St George area and its rocky, I like to go fast and after a recent trip to Brian Head my bike felt underpowered on the steep descent with choppy trail. Also rode the Whole Enchilada a couple weeks ago and felt rattled at the end of the trail.

My biggest issue with the Rhythm was it blew threw travel, but thats kinda what you get with no HSC or LSC adjustments. I changed over to the Topaz and Diamond and they are amazeballs. Bike feels completely different all in good ways. You will take a small weight penalty but the benefits clearly outshine the extra weight, 100 grams on the fork i believe. If you feels like you are out riding the fork and shock, you probably need to make the plunge if you want to be more aggressive, but you will have to spend some time tuning as they are both tuners shocks.

Posted: Jun 22, 2018 at 6:45 Quote
Hello,
anyone with a Topaz has any tuning tips? I am trying to work it out. At the moment I put one band into negative and left positive empty but the shock still feels bit stiff.
weight 80kg, main chamber 160psi and blader on 170psi.

Cheers
Jakub

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2018 at 7:57 Quote
kajman wrote:
Hello,
anyone with a Topaz has any tuning tips? I am trying to work it out. At the moment I put one band into negative and left positive empty but the shock still feels bit stiff.

Cheers
Jakub

I had a Topaz on my V3 Nomad and ran it +15psi over my body weight (lbs) so roughly 230psi with 2 bands on the negative end of the chamber. Reservoir I kept at 190psi since I’m a big guy and needed a little extra bottom out for the rougher trails. Rebound around the recommendation maybe +/- 1 or 2 clicks.

Shock was great. I did start to have some cavitation issues after hard bottom outs but I think there was a faulty o-ring on the main shaft. Pressure would lock up and the shock wouldn’t extend until I took pressure out and pulled the air can sleeve back and had a POP. Fixed after a rebuild.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2018 at 8:56 Quote
kajman wrote:
Hello,

Cheers
Jakub

Try adding a band or two in the neg chamber, and dropping a band or two from the pos chamber. It helps the shock sit higher in its travel where the Jeffsy's suspension is more active and supple.

I'd also recommend that next time you go for a ride, take a shock pump and call DVO; they'll walk you through the tuning step by step throughout your ride. Super great service that way.

Posted: Jun 22, 2018 at 13:09 Quote
kajman wrote:
Hello,

Cheers
Jakub

I recently got a Topaz and weigh similar to you (180 lbs). I used the shockwiz and landed on 192 psi in main chamber, 180 psi in the piggyback and no bands. I also agree giving DVO a call, they will provide some solid advice based on yours riding preferences.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2018 at 1:02 Quote
Took my Jeffsy CF on its first uplift yesterday. What a bike. Wasn't far off the capability of my DH bike on the techy trails and better on the flow trails and I'd say more fun over all.
Shame it ended early, after only six runs, due to a big OTB and shoulder barging a tree resulting in a trip to the hospital. It only happened because the bike is confidence inspiring and carries speed well so I pulled up a little too much on a fast drop, overshooting it. I'll definitely take it back to do it again when my shoulder is better

Posted: Jun 23, 2018 at 5:26 Quote
mickstwin wrote:
The reviewer forgot to mention the Yeti 5.5 has a 160mm fork hence why the front end of the Jeffsy couldn't match it. I just wish sometimes they would take things like this into account when writing these articles.
hey Mick...i wanted to ask some questions re the jeffsy frame on ebay...could you call me on 07715511003 thanks Radim
If it is you that is ✌

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017294
Mobile Version of Website