YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 1:38 Quote
ascdesigns wrote:
For those of you with an aluminum Jeffsy (29): I highly recommend finding or making a downtube protector. I recently returned from a trip in New Zealand, during which I had a grapefruit sized rock pop from my front wheel into my downtube, about 3 inches in front of the bottom bracket. The resulting dent was about the size of a quarter and about 2-3mm deep... to bad, so sad... for me since I had zero impact protection down there at the time (only clear framesaver).

YT is in the process of doing a crash replacement as they couldn't recommend riding it with the dent (liability and lawyers, of course!); nevertheless I'm still happy they're willing to do something about it. In the meantime, and in preparation for my new front triangle, I did some research on what protectors were available. Besides the blingy, expensive Rockguardz from GB, other options were an old tire (ugly) or some kind of metal/plastic strip zip-tied to the bottom (also ugly IMO).

Then I found out about Kydex. It's sold on Amazon, four 12" x 8" sheets for $20, 2mm thick and is easily moldable. Also, the impact resistance of Kydex is fantastic. This stuff is used by handgun enthusiasts to custom mold belt holsters, and there's a YouTube video of some guy whacking his Kydex holster with an axe! It left marks, but didn't break - good enough for me.

Turns out it was super easy to do: cut one sheet to 12" x 4", heat oven to 250 degrees, let Kydex get real floppy, put on some leather gloves, take floppy Kydex and mold it to the frame. The rest was some light filing, rounding edges and drilling/Dremeling a hole for the derailleur cable. Once it's molded, it's practically self-adhering since it wraps inward around the side edges of the downtube. However, I did put a small strip of 3M tape between the bottom bracket and the protector to keep any fore/aft shifting from happening. Give it a shot, it weighs nothing, and I'm fairly certain it'll be worth it! The result is the pic below:

DIY downtube protector for YT Jeffsy 29. Made from Kydex.

Did YT sort you out at the end? Any chance to get crash repaired by them? My 2018 Jeffsy got similar dent yesterday?

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 7:32 Quote
Sorry if I missed this discussed earlier, are there any rumblings of the Jeffsy being plus size compatible in 2019?

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 10:58 Quote
cdavebolt wrote:
Sorry if I missed this discussed earlier, are there any rumblings of the Jeffsy being plus size compatible in 2019?

I highly doubt it. Plus sized bikes are dying. While it's plausible that you could fit a 27.5+ tire in a bunch of new bikes, they're not being designed that way, and I can't see YT introducing a plus bike 2+ years after they were sorta trendy.

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 19:21 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
cdavebolt wrote:

I highly doubt it. Plus sized bikes are dying. While it's plausible that you could fit a 27.5+ tire in a bunch of new bikes, they're not being designed that way, and I can't see YT introducing a plus bike 2+ years after they were sorta trendy.

Thanks for the thoughts, that makes sense. I'm on a plus size hardtail now and thought it may be overkill on a full susser, but was curious.

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 21:06 Quote
Hi guys.
I have question. Anybody have problem with frame bearings in jeffsy or capra.
I never woszed my bike with pressure washer and after 1200km bearings need to be replaced.
Does any of you have the same issue?

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 at 1:36 Quote
rpa87 wrote:
Hi guys.
I never woszed my bike with pressure washer and after 1200km bearings need to be replaced.

YT's bikes are notoriously under-greased, not unusual that yours would be dry after some time..

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 at 5:36 Quote
rpa87 wrote:
Hi guys.

Yup. after 1400 miles, mine were worn out, and introduced play in rear main pivot, and some in rocker link. Same thing happened at similar mileage to my Giant Stance. So I just assume that's how much bearings last.

I replaced my Jeffsy bearings with EnduroMAX, although, stock bearings are full compliment, meaning they have same number of balls as Enduro Max.

Weather conditions will have big impact on bearings, as well as the way you ride. Someone said somewhere: "Frequent wheels of the ground" will cause them to fail earlier

Powodzenia Smile

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 at 20:53 Quote
Thanks for answer guys.
Cheers

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 7:14 Quote
Anyone know what size shock bushings I need for a Cane Creek IL Coil shock? Or how to figure it out? Thanks.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 15:02 Quote
rpa87 wrote:
Hi guys.

Seems about right to me, used to get the same sort of mileage on my old bike too.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 15:04 Quote
code26 wrote:
Anyone know what size shock bushings I need for a Cane Creek IL Coil shock? Or how to figure it out? Thanks.
Which Jeffsy do you have?
Not sure if it's different between models, but my 29 CF1 uses 10 mm diameter mounting hardware, 17.4 mm wide on the seatstays, 40 mm wide in the frame.

Check this out:
https://goo.gl/images/RnLYej

That metal shaft(Axle Pin) goes through shock bushing, it has two spacers on both sides of the shock, they keep shock centered in it's mount. It's very important that shock has no side to side play on mounting hardware. Than bolt

On their website it looks like bushing comes with shock, it's that light colored part pressed in to the eyelet.
https://www.canecreek.com/product/dbcoil-il/

So questions are: what is CC inside bushing diameter? It needs to match the shock!

Width of it is dictated by the bike. So for the frame side axle shaft is 40mm. Let's say shock eyelet is 12mm wide. 40-12=28.
28/2=14
So each spacer on either side should be 14 mm wide.

You might be able to reuse stock mounting hardware if stock shock eylet is same width as CC eyelet.

Sorry for long answer, I do not know exactly whgat you need, but follow this logic, and you can figure this out.
Also, call CC, they might be able to help you

You also could take bushing from stock shoc and use it in CC shock. There are plenty of options.

When I installed Topaz in mine, top bushings allowed for some side to side play. SO I ordered two M10x0.6 metal washers. Now everything is nice and does not move, but there is no unnecessary friction.

Posted: Nov 22, 2018 at 5:59 Quote
The stock bushing is not the right diameter for a cc shock so you will definitely need a new bush bud I can’t remember now the size you need but any suspension place should be able to tell you cocker

Posted: Nov 24, 2018 at 12:19 Quote
I had no issues swapping the spacers from the stock monarch to a CC Double Barrel Inline.

Posted: Nov 24, 2018 at 12:55 Quote
I have the cane creek Deb air but should all be the same size diameter I would check with cane creek fella

Posted: Nov 24, 2018 at 16:07 Quote
madocreg2 wrote:
I had no issues swapping the spacers from the stock monarch to a CC Double Barrel Inline.

Ya, mine came with the Fox Float DPS. I can't find the correct sizing on Cane Creek's website so I'm SOL until they get back to me. Still got a great deal on Inline Coil and Vault spring for Black Friday.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019922
Mobile Version of Website