YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 7:12 Quote
trjoedave wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
Tichondrius wrote:
Why not get the new Jeffsy 29 Pro Race? Fox 36, DPX2 (which for the type of riding you do should almost equal the performance of the X2), 150mm of Travel... best of all worlds (other than the guide brakes maybe).

I would if I could afford it but my price point is keeping me in the $3k’s. My ultimate goal would be to mimic the suspension on the Pro races though as I want that 150 fox 36 up there.

The Capra comes with the x2 and the fox 36, but I don’t want to sacrifice too much climbing and pedaling since the majority of my trails have time pedaling the entire time.

I think you just answered your predicament then mate... don’t go Capra then.

Well, my question however is “how much of a difference is there anymore between the 2019 capra and jeffsy”? The two look almost identical in terms of geometry but the Capra has more travel. Is that slight difference going to be a difference maker during the climbs? I’m not quite sure if it will even effect my strava times at all lol.

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 7:22 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
trjoedave wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:

I would if I could afford it but my price point is keeping me in the $3k’s. My ultimate goal would be to mimic the suspension on the Pro races though as I want that 150 fox 36 up there.

The Capra comes with the x2 and the fox 36, but I don’t want to sacrifice too much climbing and pedaling since the majority of my trails have time pedaling the entire time.

Well, my question however is “how much of a difference is there anymore between the 2019 capra and jeffsy”? The two look almost identical in terms of geometry but the Capra has more travel. Is that slight difference going to be a difference maker during the climbs? I’m not quite sure if it will even effect my strava times at all lol.

Yes, it will.
Considering the Capra is almost a 2.5-3 lb heavier bike and Jeffsys new anti squat kinematic which aid in pedaling efficiency.

Test riding both the Capra and Jeffsy 18 models and Jeffsy last year was a noticeably better pedelar plus the weight savings. Thus why I went with Jeffsy... but you do you. Lol
$.02
Good luck mate.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 7:47 Quote
Any 2019 owners mess around with new rear shocks yet? I’m on the cf pro and ive got the itch to try something different. I’m mostly curious about a coil with the new anti-squat kinematics. I do a lot of climbing so I don’t want to ruin how good it is right now but I’m willing to make a small sacrifice.

I’ve noticed 2-3 DPX2s in the for sale section saying they came from the new Jeffsy so I’m curious about what your switching to.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 8:25 Quote
trjoedave wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
trjoedave wrote:

Yes, it will.
Considering the Capra is almost a 2.5-3 lb heavier bike and Jeffsys new anti squat kinematic which aid in pedaling efficiency.

Test riding both the Capra and Jeffsy 18 models and Jeffsy last year was a noticeably better pedelar plus the weight savings. Thus why I went with Jeffsy... but you do you. Lol
$.02
Good luck mate.

The new Jeffsy is a bit heavier than the old. I gained 2 pounds with a frame swap from 18’ CF pro to 19’ CF Pro

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 10:05 Quote
ajlane86 wrote:
Any 2019 owners mess around with new rear shocks yet? I’m on the cf pro and ive got the itch to try something different. I’m mostly curious about a coil with the new anti-squat kinematics. I do a lot of climbing so I don’t want to ruin how good it is right now but I’m willing to make a small sacrifice.

I’ve noticed 2-3 DPX2s in the for sale section saying they came from the new Jeffsy so I’m curious about what your switching to.

I'm wondering the very same as well. I think I may put a dpx2 on mine when it arrives but I think many of the DPX2 owners want to upgrade to an x2 or a coil which may be why we keep seeing them for sale.

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 10:41 Quote
Definitely fancy trying a coil on my 19 Pro. Probably the cane creak in-line as they’re pretty cheap. Hoping to have first ride on my jeffsy this weekend Big Grin

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
Pab80 wrote:
Definitely fancy trying a coil on my 19 Pro. Probably the cane creak in-line as they’re pretty cheap. Hoping to have first ride on my jeffsy this weekend Big Grin

Has anyone put a DVO jade on their Jeffsy? Ride reports? I have been tempted to do this but not sure how much I would miss the traverse and lockout modes on the Topaz.

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 11:03 Quote
Pab80 wrote:

Hey man, try and report back here if you can. I'm interested in how the new jeffsy rides without the Pro Race 150mm version. Do you or have you ridden the 2018 jeffsy at all?

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 11:22 Quote
code26 wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
code26 wrote:

After 3 days riding Whistlers' best... I never felt like i NEEDED more bike than a Jeffsy (29)

BUT - what do you think. If I keep the jeffsy I'm upgrading the DPS Float shock asap.

So, I just had my DPS warrantied cuz I broke all the shims in the shim stack (don't ask me how) and I found out from Fox that the Jeffsy DPS shocks come with a light tune stack installed. Not very suiting for the Jeffsy IMO. I went with the Cane Creek Inline Coil and it's wonderful!!

Good Choice! The CCDB Coil inline is a wonderful shock. I had one on my Jeffsy 29, and after trying it a friend of mine fitted one to his HighTower LT and he's never looked backed since. Now I have one on my Yeti SB5.5 and I could not be happier ...

I wrote a quick post about how to make it lighter (50g) than a Fox X2 here: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=212189

You're in luck the Jeffsy has a 200x57 stroke so the numbers and weight saving I'm talking about in the post will be exactly the same. Just saying ... the Jeffsy 29 with the CCDB Coil inline are a really good match and a dream to ride!

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 11:50 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
Pab80 wrote:

Hey man, try and report back here if you can. I'm interested in how the new jeffsy rides without the Pro Race 150mm version. Do you or have you ridden the 2018 jeffsy at all?

I've had my medium 19 pro for about 6 weeks now (ordered the day it came out) and I think its awesome. I came from a 16 Kona Process 134DL size large which was 27.5, and the Jeff feels much more nimble and is considerably faster on the downs.

Not only that but in comparison it murders the climbs. There were trails I've tried to clean countless times on the Kona with no luck. First time taking the Jeffsy to these trails it happened and I wasn't killing myself to make it like before. I did swap the Jeffsy tires for 2.5 DHF and Aggressors front and rear which gave it loads of grip.

The Kona was quite a bit more plush, which i'm assuming is the less progressive frame design since the shocks are both Monarch RT3s. This is why I'm looking at switching the Jeffsy to a coil or maybe a super deluxe? I'm willing to take a small hit in climbing efficiency since I'll probably still be better off than the Kona.

I can only compare it to a handful of bikes but on the trail the Jeffsy is very poppy and playful at 140mm of travel. Tons of fun but I want mine to be a little more plush. I'd like to experiment with the travel and try 150mm rear and 160mm front to make like a lighter, more efficient Capra. I'm only 155lb so I'm not too worried about overworking the frame.

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 13:03 Quote
ajlane86 wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
Pab80 wrote:

I've had my medium 19 pro for about 6 weeks now (ordered the day it came out) and I think its awesome. I came from a 16 Kona Process 134DL size large which was 27.5, and the Jeff feels much more nimble and is considerably faster on the downs.

Not only that but in comparison it murders the climbs. There were trails I've tried to clean countless times on the Kona with no luck. First time taking the Jeffsy to these trails it happened and I wasn't killing myself to make it like before. I did swap the Jeffsy tires for 2.5 DHF and Aggressors front and rear which gave it loads of grip.

The Kona was quite a bit more plush, which i'm assuming is the less progressive frame design since the shocks are both Monarch RT3s. This is why I'm looking at switching the Jeffsy to a coil or maybe a super deluxe? I'm willing to take a small hit in climbing efficiency since I'll probably still be better off than the Kona.

I can only compare it to a handful of bikes but on the trail the Jeffsy is very poppy and playful at 140mm of travel. Tons of fun but I want mine to be a little more plush. I'd like to experiment with the travel and try 150mm rear and 160mm front to make like a lighter, more efficient Capra. I'm only 155lb so I'm not too worried about overworking the frame.

I think that's exactly what I'm going to do as well. My second favorite bike is the 2018 Kona Process 153 due to it's plushness. It rides so well over the gnarl. When I started riding my 2018 YT Jeffsy i definitely noticed that RT3 shock was harsh as hell and the new upgrade to the x2 was drastically different. Amazingly different. So I'm sure that it will be a worthwhile upgrade again this time around despite the improvements made to the shock. I talked to YT earlier and they said one of their guys in the company is riding it with an x2 and they love it. They also justified the e13 tires on them being based in Germany and the soil always being wet.

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 20:59 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:

Out of interest, has anyone seen any reviews of any lower spec models. I'm happy with my 2018 Jeffsy, just curious to see how different the Jeffsy models with similar travel and lower specs compare to the old version (e.g. do the Capra comparisons end)

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 5:19 Quote
Rance wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:

Out of interest, has anyone seen any reviews of any lower spec models. I'm happy with my 2018 Jeffsy, just curious to see how different the Jeffsy models with similar travel and lower specs compare to the old version (e.g. do the Capra comparisons end)

I’ll be able to answer you in May. Currently riding the 18 jeffsy cf as well but have the new 19 one arriving soon.

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 6:26 Quote
So new question - should I put an x2 on here or a DB Coil Inline Shock? Has anyone had any experience riding an in-line coil on the jeffsys?

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 6:34 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
So new question - should I put an x2 on here or a DB Coil Inline Shock? Has anyone had any experience riding an in-line coil on the jeffsys?

Go for the CCDB Coil inline 200%.

I replied to that a few messages ago ... scroll up ... you'll find it!

You'll benefit from the awesomeness of the coil and it will even be lighter than the X2 (win-win).

When I had my Jeffsy I found the rear end of the bike to be restrained by the shock, so I went X2 and it was wayyyy better then I tried the CCDB Coil inline ... and well ... it unleashed the bike's potential ... trust me, you won't regret!

PS: No need for the "low" position after that ... "high" position and coil ... super grippy in corners ... tracks really well!

Hope this help

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011020
Mobile Version of Website