YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 13:47 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
digev wrote:
TibZ wrote:
And what about the pop? I'm curious cause I'm about to buy a topaz...

Still pops really good. I had the Topaz on my SB6 and it was definitely an upgrade to the stock Float X, but then the X2 replaced it and it was way better. To be honest, loosing the pop because of the coil is pure "theory" because in reality using the external settings you can make it however you want, plush, harsh etc ... the only way I could see the whole bike loose it's pop ... the whole balance even ... is if you had a softer spring than what you should have. Think not enough pressure into an air shock ... same thing!

Topaz is great, I didn’t find the x2 much of an upgrade, they can be tuned very similar. If I had to give the edge of performance to one it would go to the x2. I kept the Topaz becuase being able to service on my own is huge. I also did not like the design of the x2 air can for whatever reason it was always a pain in the ass and the tiny screw that holds it on is annoying.
If you want the best performance go coil, but expect a penalty in possibly cost, possibly weight depending on the model, loss of a climb switch on most coils (cc db IL excluded). It’s all a trade off, and personal preference.

You are correct, I shouldn't have said "way better" but just "better" ... they're very close in performance so that probably doesn't count as a "should-definitely-change-it" upgrade but still with an edge to the X2 performance-wise. Mine was loosing air each and every time I was riding it so it probably adds up to the overall experience. Nice rig you got there Wink

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 15:13 Quote
Is 2019 cf pro worth the extra $800 over the cf comp?

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
moutainmerh wrote:

I don't think so - it simply gives you a Pike and the rear RT3 which I view as more of a side-grade than an upgrade. Save the extra $800 and upgraded them on your own. Even the brakes are a small upgrade from the Guide R to the Guide RS.

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 17:14 Quote
digev wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
OK - I'll give the coil a shot. Excited! I've never ridden a coil before.

Please report back when you get it, I'm already excited for you ... cause I know you're gonna like it ... ahaha Smile

Quick tip: in order to find the right spring and speed up the whole process a little bit ... (I mean after you went to the CaneCreek website and used the spring calculator). If you ever want to test several spring rates to make up your mind let's say very close options like for example 475/500/525 then buy those 3 in cheap steel ... then wrap both ends in plastic foil (the one you use for cooking is fine) then test them. once you've found the right rate and you're happy about the result ... send them back and order a Fox SLS Wink

Now you should know something else ... your fork will never feel the same after experiencing the calm and controled way the shock tracks the ground. So eventually you'll get it custom tuned to match that feeling ... and that day my friend ... it'll be like Christmas Beer

Enjoy!

Well, looks like I'm going to have to settle with the x2 for a while lol. The DB Coil will cost me $520 with the coil and the shock itself, and I can snag this x2 for $300 even (a used 2018 x2 with climb switch). I shall try a coil in the future when I have money lol.

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 21:03 Quote
And now I just found an amazing deal for a Hightower LT with 36 on the front and dhx2. Same price as the jeffsy. Do I cancel the jeffsy order lol? I would save a lot of cash since I’m going to have to spend up to get new tires and tubeless immediately to replace these e13 tires.

But, is a Hightower a better riding/climbing bike than the jeffsy?

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 21:28 Quote
The biggest difference is a allow rear swingarm on the comp. Full carbon on the pro and prorace.

I was considering the comp as well until I saw that.

tkrumroy wrote:
digev wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:

Please report back when you get it, I'm already excited for you ... cause I know you're gonna like it ... ahaha Smile

Quick tip: in order to find the right spring and speed up the whole process a little bit ... (I mean after you went to the CaneCreek website and used the spring calculator). If you ever want to test several spring rates to make up your mind let's say very close options like for example 475/500/525 then buy those 3 in cheap steel ... then wrap both ends in plastic foil (the one you use for cooking is fine) then test them. once you've found the right rate and you're happy about the result ... send them back and order a Fox SLS Wink

Now you should know something else ... your fork will never feel the same after experiencing the calm and controled way the shock tracks the ground. So eventually you'll get it custom tuned to match that feeling ... and that day my friend ... it'll be like Christmas Beer

Enjoy!

Well, looks like I'm going to have to settle with the x2 for a while lol. The DB Coil will cost me $520 with the coil and the shock itself, and I can snag this x2 for $300 even (a used 2018 x2 with climb switch). I shall try a coil in the future when I have money lol.

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 23:13 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
And now I just found an amazing deal for a Hightower LT with 36 on the front and dhx2. Same price as the jeffsy. Do I cancel the jeffsy order lol? I would save a lot of cash since I’m going to have to spend up to get new tires and tubeless immediately to replace these e13 tires.

If you're seriously considering the hightower you might wanna wait a little longer because SC is said to release the new one sometime soon and then you should get the mk1 at even lower prices i reckon..

Should be a great bike the hightower and rather similar to the mk1 jeff looking at their geo..

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 at 1:31 Quote
wowbagger wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:

If you're seriously considering the hightower you might wanna wait a little longer because SC is said to release the new one sometime soon and then you should get the mk1 at even lower prices i reckon..

Should be a great bike the hightower and rather similar to the mk1 jeff looking at their geo..

I have had a bit of time on the Hightower LT and the Jeffsy (Mk1), for me the Hightower has too slack a seat tube and has you pedalling over the rear axle more than on the Jeffsy, it isn't as nimble on tight technical stuff and doesn't ride as well, the VPP is very over rated. I would go with the Jeffsy every time.

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 at 5:02 Quote
Yeah it’s a used 2018 but has never been ridden on a trail, so essentially brand new. It does look almost identical to my current ‘18 jeffsy mk1 , even the seat tube angle is the same but with slightly slacker headtube.

I keep reading that the vpp gets hung up on the chunk while ascending, but I also keep reading that vpp climbs significantly better than the Horst link.

I dunno, definitely torn here lol.

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
moutainmerh wrote:

It’s more than a suspension upgrade. The Pro has a carbon rear triangle, the comp’s is aluminum.

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 at 12:42 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
moutainmerh wrote:

It’s more than a suspension upgrade. The Pro has a carbon rear triangle, the comp’s is aluminum.
Which may or may not be an upgrade depending on your own opinion and experience. Personally I'm not a big fan of carbon rear triangles... I've seen way more busted carbon ones than aluminum.

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 at 13:25 Quote
goldfly wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
moutainmerh wrote:

Which may or may not be an upgrade depending on your own opinion and experience. Personally I'm not a big fan of carbon rear triangles... I've seen way more busted carbon ones than aluminum.

That's kind of my take on it too. I actually appreciated that they made the rear triangle aluminum as that's always a fear of mine, small scratches, dents and dings in the carbon always freaks me out whereas it happening to aluminum doesn't scare me at all.

Posted: Mar 8, 2019 at 12:48 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
digev wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:

Enjoy!

If you buy a used x2, research the custom tune that it comes with and try and match it to the tune on a Jeffsy. Iirc, the x2 from a pivot firebird works well, but the tune range is so large it should work regardless.

Posted: Mar 8, 2019 at 13:53 Quote
Hi guys, I’m interested in the Pro Race 2019.
Can I use the fork with 150mm travel instead of the 160mm without change the shaft length?
I heard someone say something about it using, using less air.

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 17:33 Quote
Can anyone comment on the E13 Dropper Post on the 2019s? I know previous generation E13 droppers had issues so I'm wondering if this is a new post for 2019?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013610
Mobile Version of Website