YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 6:43 Quote
Just upgraded my rear shock to a cane creek inline coil! Does anyone have a tune for the 2019 Jeffsy? Even if it's just as a starting point..

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 7:49 Quote
xysler wrote:
Just upgraded my rear shock to a cane creek inline coil! Does anyone have a tune for the 2019 Jeffsy? Even if it's just as a starting point..

There isn't a Jeffsy tune - just start with the neutral base tune and adjust as needed. I ended up adding 1-1.5 turns of both HSC and HSR to the base tune.

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 9:31 Quote
Hey guys, I've head a creaking/popping starting to develop in my headset on my '19 Jeffsy Pro Race. I took it apart last night and I couldn't get the actual bearings out so I greased everything up and put it back together hoping it would help. Well it didn't. So I just took it apart again and I can't seem to get the bearings out. I bet I only have around 150 miles on the bike and only ridden in the rain one time. With a wooden dowel and hammer I was able to get the bottom one out but the black part of the headset (sorry I don't know what it's called) came out with it and I still can't get the bearing out. I haven't been able to get the top one out yet. Any help would be much appreciated. I don't understand. Every YouTube video that I've watched shows the bearing just coming right now. I will say there wasn't too much grease in there the first time I took it apart.

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 9:37 Quote
spizike9 wrote:
Hey guys, I've head a creaking/popping starting to develop in my headset on my '19 Jeffsy Pro Race. I took it apart last night and I couldn't get the actual bearings out so I greased everything up and put it back together hoping it would help. Well it didn't. So I just took it apart again and I can't seem to get the bearings out. I bet I only have around 150 miles on the bike and only ridden in the rain one time. With a wooden dowel and hammer I was able to get the bottom one out but the black part of the headset (sorry I don't know what it's called) came out with it and I still can't get the bearing out. I haven't been able to get the top one out yet. Any help would be much appreciated. I don't understand. Every YouTube video that I've watched shows the bearing just coming right now. I will say there wasn't too much grease in there the first time I took it apart.
sounds like your bearing separated when you knocked it out? Got any pics?

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
xysler wrote:

Download the cane creek dialed app.!

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 10:26 Quote
I just had my vivid coil services and tuned by Squish dynamics he rides a jeffsy 29 so if you have rockshox stuff maybe others? He is the guy to talk too! Night and day difference!

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 15:58 Quote
chinaboy wrote:
spizike9 wrote:

I have pics but my photo bucket app isn’t working at the moment. If you want send me an IM with your email and I’ll email them over

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 21:28 Quote
spizike9 wrote:
chinaboy wrote:
spizike9 wrote:

I have pics but my photo bucket app isn’t working at the moment. If you want send me an IM with your email and I’ll email them over

Whilst this could be headset bearings ( hopefully it is), there is also a good chance this is the CSU ,steerer tube in the crown which has micro movement. Worth checking out and can sometimes be difficult to diagnose. The Steerers are press fit into the crown and some creak from factory and most develop creak over time. My Jeffsy is a 17 model and the pike CSU creaks constantly. I’ve had this happen on most forks and brands so it can happen to anyone. My pike has this issue and all my mates Fox 36’s and a 34 have it as well. Unless you want to repress the steerer yourself ( recommend a skilled mech only do this) or you send it back for warranty (recommended) you just live with the creaks and clicks. Never seen this cause any issues with riding. Just makes an annoying sound. The faster you ride, the less you hear it !

blueliquidlabs.com/suspension/article-two/

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 8:09 Quote
xysler wrote:

Preload: 2 turns
HSC 0.75
LSC 9
HSR 2
LSR 10

Sag 16mm
Rider weight 180

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 3:50 Quote
code26 wrote:
xysler wrote:

HSC 0.75
LSC 9
HSR 2
LSR 10

Sag 16mm
Rider weight 180

Thanks for this, will give it a try!

I took it out yesterday for a quick ride and it felt pretty good with the tune from straight out the box, sure I could get it even nicer if I spend a little time playing with it though.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 16:12 Quote
xysler wrote:
code26 wrote:
xysler wrote:

HSC 0.75
LSC 9
HSR 2
LSR 10

Sag 16mm
Rider weight 180

Thanks for this, will give it a try!

I took it out yesterday for a quick ride and it felt pretty good with the tune from straight out the box, sure I could get it even nicer if I spend a little time playing with it though.

I feel like I desire a little more small bump/chatter compliance even though my HSC is pretty much wide open at the moment. I've heard the Fox SLS spring (because of it's skinnier cross section of the coil) is more compliant on chatter and will also fit the CCIL Coil body (in contrary to what the website information says). CCIL Coil with Fox SLS spring is actually lighter than a Fox X2 air shock.
https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/coil-shock-lighter-than-air-1099309.html

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 22:27 Quote
I'm looking for a modern trail bike.
Here are some bikes that I have demoed:
Canyon Neuron, Giant Reign, Yeti SB5, Canyon Strive
I come from a mid 2010's 29er hardtail that felt like driving a bus.
I want something decent at climbing but I am worried about the Jeffsy 29 not being playful enough.
I do like how agile 27.5 feels overall but I am afraid that the Jeffsy 27 will be too slow uphill and not good at technical climbing.

One other item of interest is the difference in frame geometry (especially reach) between the 27 and 29.

Please give me your thoughts on the Jeffsy Al Base 29 vs 27.

How well does each climb?
How well does each descend?
How well does each handle technical loose stuff like rock gardens or drops?
How agile is each one?

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
So you demo'd a couple Canyons, the Neuron & the Strive. What'd you think of those bikes?

In many ways the Jeffsy has very similar specs to the Canyon Neuron. I went back n forth when I decided to buy & went with the Jeffsy 29 AL Base. With sim specs one of the deciding factors for me was the bottom bracket drop number. Figured with less drop on the Jeffsy, 24mm vs 38mm on the Neuron, I'd have fewer pedal strikes.

With that said, the Jeffsy is very nimble, climbs like a goat and very stable when descending. The first ride on my new Jeffsy the 1st thing I noticed was that it just felt natural. Got on it & didn't have to think about what I was trying to do. Just did it. Dawned on me about 15 or 20 min into that first ride that the bike was probably the easiest to ride bikes I've ever been on.

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 1:00 Quote
code26 wrote:
I feel like I desire a little more small bump/chatter compliance even though my HSC is pretty much wide open at the moment. I've heard the Fox SLS spring (because of it's skinnier cross section of the coil) is more compliant on chatter and...

Well, first I'd say that small bump compliance is more in the realm of Low Speed Compression, rather than HSC. So if you want more small bump compliance, you should reduce LSC, not HSC.

Another thing is that the spring type should not have any effect on the compliance, if the spring constant is the same. A spring is a spring, it doesn't (or at least should not) have any damping characteristics, so it doesn't care how fast or slow it moves...

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 6:56 Quote
Vertti83 wrote:
code26 wrote:
I feel like I desire a little more small bump/chatter compliance even though my HSC is pretty much wide open at the moment. I've heard the Fox SLS spring (because of it's skinnier cross section of the coil) is more compliant on chatter and...

Well, first I'd say that small bump compliance is more in the realm of Low Speed Compression, rather than HSC. So if you want more small bump compliance, you should reduce LSC, not HSC.

Another thing is that the spring type should not have any effect on the compliance, if the spring constant is the same. A spring is a spring, it doesn't (or at least should not) have any damping characteristics, so it doesn't care how fast or slow it moves...

Small bump/chatter = HSC
LSC affects braking, cornering, pumping.

The coil does make a difference. I'm not saying it gives 'damping' characteristics. If you think about the cross section of the metal coil being skinnier, it takes less input to get it to move. Therefor giving less feedback to the rider.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012052
Mobile Version of Website