YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 0:21 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
astraboy1 wrote:
Hey guys!
I'm thinking about replacing the stock rear shock on a 2017 YT Jeffsy cf. I had a Cane Creek db coil inline in mind as a replacement.
Can anyone pls advise me regarding stroke length (2,25?) and spring weight. I weigh about 180 pounds kitted up and ride mostly aggressive trail/enduro.

Any other ideas for replacement shock?

cheers, Andreas

Stock shock is 200 x 57 and as per spring you’d want a 2.5” coil rated for 450lbs if you weigh 180lbs.The dB coil in-line is manufactured in that stroke and definitely a good choice. So is the fox DH X2, DVO jade, Öhlins coil shock or cane creek dB coil cs (with piggyback).

Pretty much all coil shocks are great on that bike.

How come it's 2.5" and not 2.25"? 57mm is 2.25" I'm also thinking of getting the CC db coil in-line.
Is it worth buying the VALT spring over the normal one? Is there any other benefits than weight?

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 4:25 Quote
TheRealJuhana wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:
astraboy1 wrote:
Hey guys!
I'm thinking about replacing the stock rear shock on a 2017 YT Jeffsy cf. I had a Cane Creek db coil inline in mind as a replacement.
Can anyone pls advise me regarding stroke length (2,25?) and spring weight. I weigh about 180 pounds kitted up and ride mostly aggressive trail/enduro.

cheers, Andreas

Stock shock is 200 x 57 and as per spring you’d want a 2.5” coil rated for 450lbs if you weigh 180lbs.The dB coil in-line is manufactured in that stroke and definitely a good choice. So is the fox DH X2, DVO jade, Öhlins coil shock or cane creek dB coil cs (with piggyback).

How come it's 2.5" and not 2.25"? 57mm is 2.25" I'm also thinking of getting the CC db coil in-line.
Is it worth buying the VALT spring over the normal one? Is there any other benefits than weight?

Yeah actually a 2.25” spring should work according to the spring length vs stroke chart:

https://www.canecreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Cane-Creek-Double-Barrel-Coil-Spring-Fitment-Matrix.pdf

As per benefits mainly saving weight, but quite a bit at that. Worth buying as it’s not much more than the regular coil.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 6:00 Quote
TheRealJuhana wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:
astraboy1 wrote:
Hey guys!

cheers, Andreas

i wouldnt get the in-line. I have broken two of them on my jeffsy. the first one they replaced under warranty and the second one they sent me a db climb switch as a replacement, saying im using the in-line "beyond its intended use". It is only 200g heavier and has a more stout build.

photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 6:04 Quote
kwietrick wrote:
TheRealJuhana wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:

i wouldnt get the in-line. I have broken two of them on my jeffsy. the first one they replaced under warranty and the second one they sent me a db climb switch as a replacement, saying im using the in-line "beyond its intended use". It is only 200g heavier and has a more stout build.

photo

photo

photo

Curious what they consider intended use...

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 7:34 Quote
kwietrick wrote:
TheRealJuhana wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:

photo

photo

photo

Wow that’s facked. Surprised you had 2 fail that way and I’ve not heard of anyone else having the same experience as you. After a google search i still couldn’t find anyone with the same experience but lots of people seemed to have other reliability issued with it, not sure if they’ve updated it or not but saw people complaining about reliability on threads created in 2018. I’ve heard about people having issues with the seals because of the shaft diameter but they’ve changed it from 9mm to 15mm a year or two ago to fix this so maybe it’s more reliable now.. but after seeing the photo of it snapped in two I’d never waste my money. Glad the coil cs is pulling it’s weight for you.

I’d go with the dB coil cs over the in-line any day. It’s a couple hundred more but it’s totally worth it for the climbing switch and I think it’s a lot more reliable.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 8:16 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
kwietrick wrote:
TheRealJuhana wrote:

Wow that’s facked. Surprised you had 2 fail that way and I’ve not heard of anyone else having the same experience as you. After a google search i still couldn’t find anyone with the same experience but lots of people seemed to have other reliability issued with it, not sure if they’ve updated it or not but saw people complaining about reliability on threads created in 2018. I’ve heard about people having issues with the seals because of the shaft diameter but they’ve changed it from 9mm to 15mm a year or two ago to fix this so maybe it’s more reliable now.. but after seeing the photo of it snapped in two I’d never waste my money. Glad the coil cs is pulling it’s weight for you.

I’d go with the dB coil cs over the in-line any day. It’s a couple hundred more but it’s totally worth it for the climbing switch and I think it’s a lot more reliable.

I got the first one in February 2018. It failed September 2018. Second one lasted until August 2019. The DBCS has a noticeably larger diameter shaft and generally feels more substantial. Most of my riding is pedal based trail riding, but i race a few enduros and visit a few bike parks here and there. Plus i weight 210lbs and run a 550lbs spring. So maybe all those things combined is just too much for the inline.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 8:55 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
kwietrick wrote:
TheRealJuhana wrote:

photo

photo

photo

The inline version also has a climb switch. Doesn't look like the shock bodies are very different but I've been hammering mine (inline coil) in bike parks all summer and haven't had any issues. I've always noticed a few bad examples get way more attention than the good ones.
BTW: their Helm fork is AMAZING! I never want to go back to Rock/Fox.

I am curious though... what happened to this Cane Creek shock? Looks like your top cap was unscrewed?... Or did the top cap rip off the threads?..

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 9:24 Quote
code26 wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:
kwietrick wrote:

The inline version also has a climb switch. Doesn't look like the shock bodies are very different but I've been hammering mine (inline coil) in bike parks all summer and haven't had any issues. I've always noticed a few bad examples get way more attention than the good ones.
BTW: their Helm fork is AMAZING! I never want to go back to Rock/Fox.

I am curious though... what happened to this Cane Creek shock? Looks like your top cap was unscrewed?... Or did the top cap rip off the threads?..

The top cap unthreaded on it's own after about 6 months of use. I suspect it was under torqued from the factory, as I never opened it up or had it serviced. The second failure was the lower eyelet coming off the shaft. For that one the threads on the shaft sheared right off. That one lasted almost a year, and again I never had it off the bike or serviced. I think its fair to say the first failure was the result of poor workmanship, and the second failure could be either poor material or poor design...

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 9:28 Quote
Here is the bike as it sits today. Will be racing it in the enduro in Bentonville Arkansas this weekend.

photo

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 12:42 Quote
astraboy1 wrote:

cheers, Andreas

You'll really like a coil on your Jeffsy. With the frames kinematics, a coil works so well. Some other coil options are:

* Marzocchi Bomber CR...fairly inexpensive - "set it and forget it" type - lots of untapped potential - probably the best deal out there
* Rockshox Super Deluxe coil...Ultimate or RCT model - specific Jeffsy tune available - parts/service are available just about anywhere.
* Fox DHX2...lots of adjustability - YT specs this on their special edition Capras/Jeffsy - parts/service easily located

* DVO Jade/Jade X
* MRP Hazzard
* Ohlins TTX
* Push Elevensix...expensive but top of the line - Jeffsy tune available
* EXT Storia...expensive but top of the line - tuned specific for you and your bike - comes with 2 coil springs

I haven't tried them all, but I've used most of them at one time or another. A lot of it depends on what you want. Do you like to fiddle with the knobs and (try to) find the perfect setup? Or just set it and forget it?

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
I need a new crown race for my 19 jeffsy (new fork). It's got an acros AZX-203 headset. Can anyone confirm that I just need a standard tapered crown 45° race?

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
kwapik wrote:
astraboy1 wrote:

cheers, Andreas

You'll really like a coil on your Jeffsy. With the frames kinematics, a coil works so well. Some other coil options are:

* Marzocchi Bomber CR...fairly inexpensive - "set it and forget it" type - lots of untapped potential - probably the best deal out there
* Rockshox Super Deluxe coil...Ultimate or RCT model - specific Jeffsy tune available - parts/service are available just about anywhere.
* Fox DHX2...lots of adjustability - YT specs this on their special edition Capras/Jeffsy - parts/service easily located

* DVO Jade/Jade X
* MRP Hazzard
* Ohlins TTX
* EXT Storia...expensive but top of the line - tuned specific for you and your bike - comes with 2 coil springs

I haven't tried them all, but I've used most of them at one time or another. A lot of it depends on what you want. Do you like to fiddle with the knobs and (try to) find the perfect setup? Or just set it and forget it?

1. Bummer there is only Super Deluxe coil specific Jeffsy tune for 27.5" and not 29"

2. I'm really keen on trying coil shock in general but I still haven't seen any 2019 Jeffsys with a coil. EXT would be super nice and you can be sure that it is dialed in for the bike but personally the price tag is quite salty.

3. I can't decide whether I should get Jeffsy 29 CF comp and replace fork with Lyrik Ultimate and the shock with a coil or a better air shock or just get the top spec CF pro race and just swap the seatpost for 180mm Oneup.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 13:50 Quote
Wale wrote:
kwapik wrote:
astraboy1 wrote:

cheers, Andreas

* DVO Jade/Jade X
* MRP Hazzard
* Ohlins TTX

1. Bummer there is only Super Deluxe coil specific Jeffsy tune for 27.5" and not 29"

2. I'm really keen on trying coil shock in general but I still haven't seen any 2019 Jeffsys with a coil. EXT would be super nice and you can be sure that it is dialed in for the bike but personally the price tag is quite salty.

3. I can't decide whether I should get Jeffsy 29 CF comp and replace fork with Lyrik Ultimate and the shock with a coil or a better air shock or just get the top spec CF pro race and just swap the seatpost for 180mm Oneup.

Well the 2019 jeffsy still uses their Virtual 4 Link suspension so I’m sure it’s still plenty progressive. Biggest changes to the new jeffsy would be the more upright seat angle, slacker head tube angle, longer reach and shorter seat tube... damn I want to sell my 2018 for a 2019

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 13:53 Quote
Double post but does anyone happen to know if the 34 on Jeffsy CF Comp can be lowered down to 120 without changing the damper?

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
The Pro Race is such a value packed bike it’s really hard to pass up, especially when on sale.

The DPX2 shock is actually a great shock for most riding people do, even with that level of bike.
That being said, I did replace mine with an X2 and would never look back. Very coilesque and love the adjustability and I don’t need to worry about coil swapping with the different rides and bike loading I do.

Wale wrote:
kwapik wrote:
astraboy1 wrote:

cheers, Andreas

* DVO Jade/Jade X
* MRP Hazzard
* Ohlins TTX

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020382
Mobile Version of Website