YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 22:17 Quote
tallpaul-s wrote:

Perfectly timed post!

I'll be doing mine myself, I'll be spending several hours in a locked room with some soapy water and my bare, naked frame... Big Grin

I noticed the decent amount of frame tape on my bike, on the downtube etc - did you remove all of this bar the chainstay?

Also, I noticed the rubber drive side protectors needed properly pushing into place on mine, the edges weren't stuck properly. Might get a hairdryer to them once I've done the invisiframe.

I did remove all of the frame tape, except the chainstay tape and a small piece under the seatstay bridge (there's not a invisiframe part for that area). It was a beating to do that. About half the glue stayed behind, so I had to meticulously rub it off with elbow grease. Some of the trickiest parts were the lower seat tube and, surprisingly, the seat tube to top tube bridge. Because of how those pieces curve, they really didn't want to fit without wrinkling, bubbling. On those parts it helped to place them, press down the middle, then wait a few minutes for it to adhere, then fold down the outsides/corners.

In general, take your time and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, those rubber chainstay protectors never sat flush. Dirt and mud get in there and it's starting to really peel at the front part. Not really much I can do about it but eventually replace it I guess.

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 23:15 Quote
serveace wrote:
tallpaul-s wrote:

Perfectly timed post!

I'll be doing mine myself, I'll be spending several hours in a locked room with some soapy water and my bare, naked frame... Big Grin

I noticed the decent amount of frame tape on my bike, on the downtube etc - did you remove all of this bar the chainstay?

Also, I noticed the rubber drive side protectors needed properly pushing into place on mine, the edges weren't stuck properly. Might get a hairdryer to them once I've done the invisiframe.

I did remove all of the frame tape, except the chainstay tape and a small piece under the seatstay bridge (there's not a invisiframe part for that area). It was a beating to do that. About half the glue stayed behind, so I had to meticulously rub it off with elbow grease. Some of the trickiest parts were the lower seat tube and, surprisingly, the seat tube to top tube bridge. Because of how those pieces curve, they really didn't want to fit without wrinkling, bubbling. On those parts it helped to place them, press down the middle, then wait a few minutes for it to adhere, then fold down the outsides/corners.

In general, take your time and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, those rubber chainstay protectors never sat flush. Dirt and mud get in there and it's starting to really peel at the front part. Not really much I can do about it but eventually replace it I guess.

Had the same problem with the rubber on the chainstay so I just used a dab of gorilla glue to hold it down.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 2:11 Quote
Invisiframe done. Phew! Big Grin

I'm pretty happy with the job, there's a couple of bubbles but I don't think it'll bother me once the bike is covered in mud!

I spent a long time getting the top tube section right as I'll be looking at that for hours on the climbs.

Before, all stripped and ready to go:

Mid top-tube:

Done!

All the bits off the bike that I'm changing are being sold (stem, bar, cassette, rear mech, shifter, brakes & rotors), I'll be getting a few deliveries this week Big Grin

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 9:34 Quote
You can always use a needle or pin and poke the bubble. Then just smooth it out and the small hole basically disappears.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
kwapik wrote:
You can always use a needle or pin and poke the bubble. Then just smooth it out and the small hole basically disappears.

^^^ that's what I did. Looks good!

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
I tried that on one of the bubbles, made it worse - I wasn't able to get it to sit flat.

They're almost invisible anyway tbh, certainly nothing I'm going to worry about. The tape is going to get scratched and damaged in normal use anyway, the frame is protected and from 2ft away you can't tell it's got the protection on there. Brilliant stuff the invisiframe kit is, I'd have no hesitation in doing it myself again.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 10:30 Quote
tallpaul-s wrote:
I tried that on one of the bubbles, made it worse - I wasn't able to get it to sit flat.

They're almost invisible anyway tbh, certainly nothing I'm going to worry about. The tape is going to get scratched and damaged in normal use anyway, the frame is protected and from 2ft away you can't tell it's got the protection on there. Brilliant stuff the invisiframe kit is, I'd have no hesitation in doing it myself again.

Yeah, on my old jeffsy 27 I didn't notice the bubbles and there were a few small ones on the top tube. Never really bothered me and eventually, like you said, it gets nicked up anyway. It's also nice b/c they give you quite a few random sized patches plus on the new jeffsy 29 they gave an extra strip for the seatstay. Highly recommended.

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! DHL Tracking!!!

"ThursdaySeptember, 26 2019 09:16 Local time | Due to damage, the shipment could not be delivered and is being withheld for investigation.
United Kingdom"

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 11:50 Quote
scz4 wrote:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! DHL Tracking!!!

"ThursdaySeptember, 26 2019 09:16 Local time | Due to damage, the shipment could not be delivered and is being withheld for investigation.
United Kingdom"

DHL are bloody useless, I had to go and collect mine. Hopefully it gets sorted ASAP!

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 0:36 Quote
Royal Mail took my headset to Malaysia instead of Finland Madder

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 7:18 Quote
TheRealJuhana wrote:
Royal Mail took my headset to Malaysia instead of Finland Madder

Close... Ish Confused

The last parts I need to build my CF Pro Race have been delivered today so I can finish it off! Still need to apply invisiframe to the fork but once that's done I'll be building it up tomorrow.

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
The CF Pro should be arriving in couple of weeks, so I'm planning what components I'll swap right away and what to keep. Brakes and gearing I'll be swapping to Shimano ones, but the Ethirteen dropper and wheels are a bit of a question mark. So, I could use some advice...

Is the Ethirteen dropper any good or should I ditch that right away..?
I don't remember reading any praising reviews on that one... Rolleyes

And I remember reading that there were some cases where spokes were snapping from some of the Ethirteen wheels, but is that same (or some different) problem still present with the current iterations of the TRS plus wheels?

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 9:56 Quote
Vertti83 wrote:
The CF Pro should be arriving in couple of weeks, so I'm planning what components I'll swap right away and what to keep. Brakes and gearing I'll be swapping to Shimano ones, but the Ethirteen dropper and wheels are a bit of a question mark. So, I could use some advice...

I don't remember reading any praising reviews on that one... Rolleyes

And I remember reading that there were some cases where spokes were snapping from some of the Ethirteen wheels, but is that same (or some different) problem still present with the current iterations of the TRS plus wheels?

Wheels are nice and strong if you can support the freewheel noise (high). Ditch the dropper right away, it's shitty. The dropper remote is nice though, and works with other cable activated droppers.

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 10:02 Quote
Opinions on the e*13 dropper post are 50/50. Some people have had terrible luck with them and hate them. Others like myself, have had no problems whatsoever. Mine have been perfect and trouble free. Works like it suppose to and it's user serviceable. One from a 2017 Jeffsy and the other on last years Capra.

Too much tension was causing the spoke issue. I haven't heard of any issues lately though.

Also if you do encounter a problem, e*13 customer service is great.

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 10:19 Quote
Vertti83 wrote:

I've had my CF Pro for a couple weeks and during my second ride the e13 dropper started getting stuck in the down position. I'm basically running the seatpost clamp right on the cusp of sliding down under my weight, otherwise, the post refuses to pop up. If I loosen the seatpost clamp by even a quarter turn, the post will slide down during a ride, and if I tighten it a quarter turn, the post will get stuck down. I feel like this can't be normal but since this is my first dropper post I don't have anything to compare it to. I've also contacted e13 and gone through all their troubleshooting steps to try and fix it without any luck.

No complaints about the lever though.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011818
Mobile Version of Website