YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 4:18 Quote
DigitlBikr wrote:
As a follow up question, how does this bike pedal with a coil shock? Assuming the sag is properly adjusted between 25-30%, does the pedaling sensation feel similar to an air shock? I've never used a coil shock before.

I actually prefer climbing with the CC DB coil (when not locked out) over the stock fox dps shock that came on the bike. However, the ability to lock it out for the climbs makes it infinitely better than the dps for everything.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 5:51 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
DigitlBikr wrote:
As a follow up question, how does this bike pedal with a coil shock? Assuming the sag is properly adjusted between 25-30%, does the pedaling sensation feel similar to an air shock? I've never used a coil shock before.

I actually prefer climbing with the CC DB coil (when not locked out) over the stock fox dps shock that came on the bike. However, the ability to lock it out for the climbs makes it infinitely better than the dps for everything.

Why do you like it better? I have a dpx2 right now for reference.

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 6:01 Quote
DigitlBikr wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:
DigitlBikr wrote:

I don’t ride a coil on my Jeffsy as I am happy with the Topaz but having ran coils on previous bikes they clearly justify their existence on descents. I don’t see how a properly set up coil could out preform a modern high end air shock for climbing purposes. Even with a climb switch there is a weight penalty, which can be minimized by lightweight springs. If you don’t have a climb switch on a coil and do heavy climbing you will absolutely notice a decrease in pedal efficiency.
If the goal of your Jeffsy is to make it a more enduro focused bike, go coil and understand you are gonna work a bit harder climbing. If you want to keep it trail oriented and give up a bit of small bump compliance on the descents get a high end air shock. Dpx2 is a great shock but for whatever reason the Topaz and X2 seem to get the best overall reviews for the Jeffsy.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 6:21 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
DigitlBikr wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:

I don’t ride a coil on my Jeffsy as I am happy with the Topaz but having ran coils on previous bikes they clearly justify their existence on descents. I don’t see how a properly set up coil could out preform a modern high end air shock for climbing purposes. Even with a climb switch there is a weight penalty, which can be minimized by lightweight springs. If you don’t have a climb switch on a coil and do heavy climbing you will absolutely notice a decrease in pedal efficiency.
If the goal of your Jeffsy is to make it a more enduro focused bike, go coil and understand you are gonna work a bit harder climbing. If you want to keep it trail oriented and give up a bit of small bump compliance on the descents get a high end air shock. Dpx2 is a great shock but for whatever reason the Topaz and X2 seem to get the best overall reviews for the Jeffsy.

I found some posts online who figured out a fox SLS spring with a ccdb inline weighs only 14g more than my current dpx2 air shock. So weight isn't something I'm worried about. The issue for me is that the trails I ride have an equal amount of climbing and descending, which is why I'm curious why an air spring will climb better than a coil shock without the use of a climb switch (or will it if the sag point is the same?).

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 7:04 Quote
Jamsxr wrote:
Ocea-nic wrote:
Hey guys!
My 29 pro race should arrive next week(ish) and I wonder if I can install a RF NextR crank with a non-boost chainring (absolute black oval 32t). Has anyone done it? (I'm picking the Next because I got one with 170mm and I'm tired of getting damaged by pedalstrikes...)

Besides that I'm switiching the Guides for MT5s, up the 36 to 160mm and change the cassette to a XX1 (can live with lower range but crave consistent and precise shifting Wink ). Thinking about offset bushings as well. That thing is gonna rip. ^^

After 5 years of SRAM I’m really not enjoying the Shimano/e thirteen setup... I’m wondering if a new cassette will do the job or just pull the trigger on a derailleur and shifter as well....

IMO XX1/X01/GX doesn't shift all that differently when properly setup. I don't think I could tell the difference between shifting quality if you switched out the derailleur or cassette between those levels. The trigger you can feel is slightly more precise and stiff when you make the jump up from GX, I believe mostly due to the carbon vs plastic lever. Upgrading the cassette does make a big difference with weight though. If I were trying to be sensible about setup, I'd go X01 cassette (you save a ton of weight vs GX and save a ton of money vs XX1), GX derailleur (no real discernible difference when you upgrade), and whichever trigger suites your budget.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 10:03 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Dpx2 is a great shock but for whatever reason the Topaz and X2 seem to get the best overall reviews for the Jeffsy.

Because those are the most linear air shocks and they nicely counterweight the progressive kinematics. DPX2 is more progressive.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 11:15 Quote
zapat wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
Dpx2 is a great shock but for whatever reason the Topaz and X2 seem to get the best overall reviews for the Jeffsy.

Because those are the most linear air shocks and they nicely counterweight the progressive kinematics. DPX2 is more progressive.

Bloody love my X2 on Jeffsy!!!

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 12:45 Quote
tgent wrote:
Jamsxr wrote:
Ocea-nic wrote:
Hey guys!
My 29 pro race should arrive next week(ish) and I wonder if I can install a RF NextR crank with a non-boost chainring (absolute black oval 32t). Has anyone done it? (I'm picking the Next because I got one with 170mm and I'm tired of getting damaged by pedalstrikes...)

Besides that I'm switiching the Guides for MT5s, up the 36 to 160mm and change the cassette to a XX1 (can live with lower range but crave consistent and precise shifting Wink ). Thinking about offset bushings as well. That thing is gonna rip. ^^

After 5 years of SRAM I’m really not enjoying the Shimano/e thirteen setup... I’m wondering if a new cassette will do the job or just pull the trigger on a derailleur and shifter as well....

IMO XX1/X01/GX doesn't shift all that differently when properly setup. I don't think I could tell the difference between shifting quality if you switched out the derailleur or cassette between those levels. The trigger you can feel is slightly more precise and stiff when you make the jump up from GX, I believe mostly due to the carbon vs plastic lever. Upgrading the cassette does make a big difference with weight though. If I were trying to be sensible about setup, I'd go X01 cassette (you save a ton of weight vs GX and save a ton of money vs XX1), GX derailleur (no real discernible difference when you upgrade), and whichever trigger suites your budget.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, much appreciated.
Some more time on the XTR and I’m getting more familiar with it, I’ll probably churn through the cassette and then follow your recommendation.

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 16:02 Quote
Anyone ever have a issue with the front shock or something on the front of the bike) clicking when the shock is compressed. It clicks once per compression, so not continuous. I have a Jeffsy al 29. Wondering if it’s a common problem as I don’t even know where to start looking for the source

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 16:30 Quote
Pacman922 wrote:
Anyone ever have a issue with the front shock or something on the front of the bike) clicking when the shock is compressed. It clicks once per compression, so not continuous. I have a Jeffsy al 29. Wondering if it’s a common problem as I don’t even know where to start looking for the source

Trial and error. Use your ears to locate the sound. I had a bottom bracket that started creaking. Others have had suspension bearings start creaking. I've seen a few people that have had shock bolts start clicking. I'd probably start looking there.

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 16:52 Quote
Pacman922 wrote:

When my old Rockshox Recon would click, I would do a lower leg service and that usually made it go away.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 17:04 Quote
s-g wrote:
Pacman922 wrote:

When my old Rockshox Recon would click, I would do a lower leg service and that usually made it go away.

I had a similar issue with an old fox evolution series fork. Had to rebuild the damper as it was leaving oil and it was good again.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 2:26 Quote
Jamsxr wrote:
Ocea-nic wrote:
Hey guys!

Yep, I feel I won't be happy with the setup before even trying it. Wink
However the interwebs has some good things to say about the XTR derailleur/trigger+SRAM cassette combo. "best of both worlds.." Haven't tried it however. With german vendors the XX1 costs nearly the same as the X01 btw (just a bit more I could sell the e*13 for)...

Branmuffin wrote:

Why a non boost chainring? I run the next r with a 30t oval but not sure why you would want to go non boost ring?

Because I have a quite fresh non-boost ring on my Next. Wink
According to this ressource, it could/should work: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/pages/boost-chainline-and-chainrings

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 2:43 Quote
ibis09 wrote:
Has anyone here tried using an offset bushing to slacken the head angle of the jeffsy?

Here's a link for reference
https://www.offsetbushings.com/products/offset-bushings-yt-jeffsy

We've had loads of customers order Offset Bushings for the Jeffsy! You're looking at around 0.5 degrees of HA adjustment and 5mm of BB drop on average with that setup.

Any questions, just give me a shout!

Jeron @ Offset Bushings

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 4:22 Quote
jezzah wrote:
We've had loads of customers order Offset Bushings for the Jeffsy! You're looking at around 0.5 degrees of HA adjustment and 5mm of BB drop on average with that setup.

Any questions, just give me a shout!

Jeron @ Offset Bushings

Does 0.5 degree HA directly mean a 0.5 degree slacker seat tube angle?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037224
Mobile Version of Website