YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 6:50 Quote
Ocea-nic wrote:
Jamsxr wrote:
Ocea-nic wrote:
Hey guys!
My 29 pro race should arrive next week(ish) and I wonder if I can install a RF NextR crank with a non-boost chainring (absolute black oval 32t). Has anyone done it? (I'm picking the Next because I got one with 170mm and I'm tired of getting damaged by pedalstrikes...)

Besides that I'm switiching the Guides for MT5s, up the 36 to 160mm and change the cassette to a XX1 (can live with lower range but crave consistent and precise shifting Wink ). Thinking about offset bushings as well. That thing is gonna rip. ^^

After 5 years of SRAM I’m really not enjoying the Shimano/e thirteen setup... I’m wondering if a new cassette will do the job or just pull the trigger on a derailleur and shifter as well....

Yep, I feel I won't be happy with the setup before even trying it. Wink
However the interwebs has some good things to say about the XTR derailleur/trigger+SRAM cassette combo. "best of both worlds.." Haven't tried it however. With german vendors the XX1 costs nearly the same as the X01 btw (just a bit more I could sell the e*13 for)...

I was hoping to be lazy and try 12 speed for the first time, but you’re right, when the e*13 is dead it’s probably worth trying an 11 speed SRAM.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 6:56 Quote
scz4 wrote:
jezzah wrote:
We've had loads of customers order Offset Bushings for the Jeffsy! You're looking at around 0.5 degrees of HA adjustment and 5mm of BB drop on average with that setup.

Any questions, just give me a shout!

Jeron @ Offset Bushings

Does 0.5 degree HA directly mean a 0.5 degree slacker seat tube angle?

Basically yes. It depends on how the head angle is being altered. If it's by changing the suspension bushings relative to the shock to lower the bike (at the rear) that will also alter the STA. If you lengthen the fork that will have a similar effect. If on the other hand you have a bike where you can change the head tube angle in the head tube itself (like the alloy Jeffsy with an angleset) then that will probably impact the STA a little, but not as much, or at all if you compensate for the raising front axle (assuming you are going slacker) with a longer fork. So all these values depend entirely on where you are changing them. Also remember that STA is slightly artificial and can be altered to a small degree by changing the saddle position on the seatpost. This would best be thought of as actual STA vs Effective STA.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
scz4 wrote:
jezzah wrote:
We've had loads of customers order Offset Bushings for the Jeffsy! You're looking at around 0.5 degrees of HA adjustment and 5mm of BB drop on average with that setup.

Any questions, just give me a shout!

Jeron @ Offset Bushings

Does 0.5 degree HA directly mean a 0.5 degree slacker seat tube angle?

I have one on a Mk.1 Jeffsy, the slacker seat tube can be countered by moving your saddle a bit forward and down.

O+
Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
Has anyone ridden both a 2017/2018 and a 2019 Jeffsy? Do you prefer the new geometry or the old?

I see a lot of reviews talking about how the 2018 version was more 'fun', despite the 2019 having more modern geometry.

I test rode a 2019 and loved it, but they're out of stock and I'm seeing a lot of 2018's for sale for ~$2,300, which seems like a pretty good deal. Is this a win/win? Or should I wait and try to snag a deal on an end-of-season 2019?

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
Ericss42 wrote:
Has anyone ridden both a 2017/2018 and a 2019 Jeffsy? Do you prefer the new geometry or the old?

I see a lot of reviews talking about how the 2018 version was more 'fun', despite the 2019 having more modern geometry.

I test rode a 2019 and loved it, but they're out of stock and I'm seeing a lot of 2018's for sale for ~$2,300, which seems like a pretty good deal. Is this a win/win? Or should I wait and try to snag a deal on an end-of-season 2019?

I’ve ridden and owned both. I really love(d) both my 18 and 19. For my riding style I prefer the 19, it’s descending prowess gets me hard.
It pedals a wee better also. The 18 was noticeably more playful however... that’s not to say mk2 Jeffsy loves to play also.

Either way I think you’d be pleased.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 15:23 Quote
I’ve owned both, the 19 jumps big, peddles and descends better. It’s a little less poppy but it’s still a good bike capable of spicing up a mellow trail.

Also, take nothing away from the mk1, it’s still a killer ride, I just found it a little flighty when things got really steep and fast. I would happily have and ride both in my stable.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 16:24 Quote
Ericss42 wrote:

I have the very first cf pro race 29 and I love it. But if I were you, I would get the 2019 simply because it's updated and has beefier chassis.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 17:47 Quote
okay i’m sure it’s been talked about on here before but i couldn’t find it. iv been mtb riding for a month now and i have a giant hardtail. i know after hundreds of hours in research i want a jeffsy 29 al base but there sold out and i’ve been told the 2020 model will have the new geo which i’m cool with. all i worry is price will go up, components will change,and colors will change. anyone know any info on the 2020 line up

O+
Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 19:17 Quote
glicious923 wrote:
okay i’m sure it’s been talked about on here before but i couldn’t find it. iv been mtb riding for a month now and i have a giant hardtail. i know after hundreds of hours in research i want a jeffsy 29 al base but there sold out and i’ve been told the 2020 model will have the new geo which i’m cool with. all i worry is price will go up, components will change,and colors will change. anyone know any info on the 2020 line up

Usually comes out in January. I'd check back closer to then.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
glicious923 wrote:

Also don't forget to check the outlet. You could get a great deal on a previous model year which may or may not have the new geometry. Either will rock your world, so at this point, unless you are rich, I would go for cost over model year.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 10:46 Quote
Hi, i asked YT what kind of a bolt on rear axle i need for the 2019 CF Jeffsy and they replied 148x12mm Pin-In axle with 1,5mm thread pitch and 11mm thread length. Anybody tried replacing the stock one with a bolt on axle or knows who makes that size and model that will fit the Jeffsy?

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 11:03 Quote
dalas51 wrote:
Hi, i asked YT what kind of a bolt on rear axle i need for the 2019 CF Jeffsy and they replied 148x12mm Pin-In axle with 1,5mm thread pitch and 11mm thread length. Anybody tried replacing the stock one with a bolt on axle or knows who makes that size and model that will fit the Jeffsy?

The only (non-oem) rear axle I could find for my 2018 mk1 jeffsy was from robertaxleproject.com... I just checked and they don’t have one for the mk2 jeffsy but it’s worth emailing them and inquiring about it, maybe they can custom make one for you.

Here’s the link to the mk1 thru axle if anyone’s interested
https://robertaxleproject.com/product/thunder-bolt-rear-axle-12mm-x-182-188mm-x-1-5-thread/

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 11:26 Quote
Anyone seen this before?
Happened to me Monday morning off a very small ~2ft drop during normal riding conditions.
ethirteen said they’ve had less than a handful of these break similarly. Guess I have an idea how Aaron Gwin felt... sore ankle! Lol Grade 2 sprain for me.
New crankset is scheduled for delivery on Thursday and old set is to go back for interrogation.

Weird

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
dalas51 wrote:

The only (non-oem) rear axle I could find for my 2018 mk1 jeffsy was from robertaxleproject.com... I just checked and they don’t have one for the mk2 jeffsy but it’s worth emailing them and inquiring about it, maybe they can custom make one for you.

Here’s the link to the mk1 thru axle if anyone’s interested
https://robertaxleproject.com/product/thunder-bolt-rear-axle-12mm-x-182-188mm-x-1-5-thread/

Will do, thank you

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018492
Mobile Version of Website