TRSr Carbon crank catastrophic failure.

Holy sh.t, never seen that!

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 15:46 Quote
ytjodave wrote:

Backstory?

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 20:57 Quote
Not really a back story... just a fluke. 5 month old bike, no crazy riding imo... this came from a ~2.5 ish foot drop, just a crazy snap sound and that’s that.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 23:19 Quote
ytjodave wrote:
Not really a back story... just a fluke. 5 month old bike, no crazy riding imo... this came from a ~2.5 ish foot drop, just a crazy snap sound and that’s that.

No pedal strike on landing? Your foot on the pedal?

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 8:01 Quote
TibZ wrote:
ytjodave wrote:

Same thing happened to me - see this thread: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=214806&pagenum=1

No pedal strike, cranks ~ 6 months old. Don't think I'd had really any serious pedal strikes during the entire time riding the bike. Jump maybe 2-3ft tall with a fairly flat landing. Landed clean with feet in attack position, snap.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 10:35 Quote
Knowing that it also happens sometimes with sram carbon cranks, is it really a good idea to use this material for this part... Personnaly I will stick to aluminium...

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 11:44 Quote
TibZ wrote:
ytjodave wrote:

Nope, no pedal strike on landing. I was clipped in, yes.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 11:04 Quote
Does anyone here have experience with the Yeti SB130? I have an opportunity to trade in my MK1 2018 Jeffsy for an sb130 +$2800 on top out the door for one of their top end Turq models and am really debating whether I want to do it vs keeping the Jeffsy and upgrading the shock. Or getting a MK2 Jeffsy? All advice would be welcome!

Thanks.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 11:43 Quote
What 2018 Jeffsy do you have and what do you think you would gain/what are you missing? The SB130 is awesome but the MK2 is basically very similar (and has a more stable suspension).

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 11:50 Quote
edeltoaster wrote:
What 2018 Jeffsy do you have and what do you think you would gain/what are you missing? The SB130 is awesome but the MK2 is basically very similar (and has a more stable suspension).

I have the CF Base from 2018, but I upgraded virtually everything. DPX2 shock, 150mm fork, carbon wheels. I get to keep my fork and carbon wheels in the trade in though. I imagine what I'd gain would be better pedaling performance and midstroke support. I'm light so if I tune the suspension on the jeffsy to use the travel correctly it wallows and pedals poorly, and if I set it up to pedal well its harsh. It's just too progressive for me. Maybe with a coil shock those issues would be moderated but it wouldn't fix the pedaling issues entirely (though it would improve them). Handling wise I do feel like the jeffsy handles incredibly well, it's a ton of fun to ride, but the midstroke issues are really annoying. I also keep hearing about the new geometry and wonder if it would help me all round compared to what I have?

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
Have you rode the SB130 yet? If so, how do you think it compares to your upgraded Jeffsy? If not, definitely demo it for a couple of hours and see if it's what you are looking for.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 12:35 Quote
kwapik wrote:
Have you rode the SB130 yet? If so, how do you think it compares to your upgraded Jeffsy? If not, definitely demo it for a couple of hours and see if it's what you are looking for.

I have. It pedaled, well better than anything I've ever ridden except a specialized epic with a brain. It was unreal. More so though, I don't mind a bit of pedal movement, because I find that bikes with less anti squat track well on rough terrain while pedaling, but the sb130 stayed high in its travel and didn't wallow at all. With the jeffsy, if you pedal hard into some rough terrain the suspension tends to sink down pretty deep and drop the rear while slackening the bike. Otherwise the SB seemed to handle pretty well, roughly equivalent all round, the Jeffsy felt a bit more alive and "fun" in normal singletrack. The suspension on the Yeti is definitely better utilized and feels smoother/plusher. I couldn't tell which runs out of travel first, maybe the Yeti? Downhill I couldn't push the Yeti as hard because I wasn't used to the bike and the fork was set up poorly for my weight, which made it harsh, while the fork on my YT is pretty much bottomless.

Overall the Jeffsy feels like a more lively and playful bike, and it does handle remarkably well, about as well as any 29er I've ever ridden.

The Yeti handles as well as the Jeffsy, but is less playful and lively, and uses its travel better. It also pedals far better and doesn't sink into the midstroke at all.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 13:22 Quote
You echo a lot of the same sentiments that I experienced. I loved my 2017, but the SB130 is an improvement over the original Jeffsy - but then again so is the new version.

As always, it boils down to personal preference. It's great that we have so many good choices these days. Really hard to go wrong.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 6:34 Quote
I posted this in the other thread:

My Jeffsy MK2 Pro Race is awesome. And if those two bikes were same price, I'd maybe get a SB130, cause it's fancy and it's a good bike, but for the price and spec level, Jeffsy beats it!!!
Jeffsy feels great, and when I rode Yeti, suspension was set per manual. Later on I've learned on my Jeffsy that setting Fox per manual is much too hard, and too slow for my liking.

Sb 130 and SB5.5 have this bottomless feel to the rear end, which my MK1 Jeffsy did not quite match, but MK2 matches it very very closely. And MK2 with Carbon rims seems to be soo precise, and all the energy you put into it while pumping, comes right back out of the suspension, and none of it dissipates in the wheels.

I've been riding MK2 for a month now, and never in this time I thought too myself: "I wish I was riding SB130".

Couple friends that rode my MK2 loved it, and one of them said it's the best new bike he tried out of multiple different bikes he had a chance to test.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014810
Mobile Version of Website