YT Jeffsy 29 Thread

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 1:52 Quote
Hi all,

I’m upgrading the SRAM drivetrain on my 2019 Jeffsy 29 CF Comp to XTR 12sp. I’m a big guy and I’m breaking chains left and right, and can’t get the derailleur in tune for more than a day. At this point I’ve got enough cash in the swear jar to buy a new drivetrain, so here we go.

Looks like getting a chainring compatible with a Shimano 12sp chain is proving to be the bottleneck.

Couple questions (in order of increasing financial pain):

1) Sounds like I CAN’T run a 12sp Shimano chain with my Eagle GX chainring due to the Shimano master link not fitting, but I COULD run a SRAM 12sp chain with 12sp XTR cassette/der./shifter. Feels like this could backfire somehow, no?

2) If I do replace the bottom bracket so I can run XTR cranks/chainring, is this the right one?

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/collections/bottom-brackets/products/wheels-manufacturing-bb86-92-shimano-bottom-bracket-with-abec-3-bearings-black-cups

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 3:55 Quote
Blownoutrides wrote:
1) Sounds like I CAN’T run a 12sp Shimano chain with my Eagle GX chainring due to the Shimano master link not fitting...

Why don't you just replace the master link with a SRAM one or KMC or whoever makes 12s master links..?

What I've read here and on MTBR, many seem to identify the shimano masterlink as the problem, and replacing that with some other one solves the problem, as the Shimano chain itself should work OK.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 4:57 Quote
Here is a comparison of geometries versus sizes.
- RED: Jeffsy AL 29 "2016, L size
- GREEN: JEFFSY CF 29 "2019, XL size
- BLUE: JEFFSY CF 29 "2019, size XXL

The dimensions are those of reach, the stem, reach+stem and wheelbase.
The common origin being the rear wheel.

I think that theoretical 680mm distance reach+stem will be good for me.
XXL is only 8mm longer with a 35mm stem (vs 50mm for the XL).

And geometry dimensions are a bit weard on the site of YT, all does not seem to match ...

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 5:52 Quote
Is there some way that I can use the new bottle system thirstmaster 4000 on my 2017 Jeffsy CF?
The website states that only the old system works, but someone has to have tried??

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 10:55 Quote
Vertti83 wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:
1) Sounds like I CAN’T run a 12sp Shimano chain with my Eagle GX chainring due to the Shimano master link not fitting...

Why don't you just replace the master link with a SRAM one or KMC or whoever makes 12s master links..?

What I've read here and on MTBR, many seem to identify the shimano masterlink as the problem, and replacing that with some other one solves the problem, as the Shimano chain itself should work OK.

That’s a great idea. Definitely worth a try - thanks!

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
Hey guys I have the jeffsy cf pro 2019 model and I'm wanting to upgrade my RS shock. Im trying to decide between the DVO Topaz, the new RS deluxe ultimate coil or a Cane Creek IL coil.. Not sure yet on whether to go air or coil.. Will I lose any of the playfulness or poppiness qualities by switching to coil? Can anyone tell me their experience riding with any of those setups? Thanks guys

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 16:39 Quote
Jda6385 wrote:
Hey guys I have the jeffsy cf pro 2019 model and I'm wanting to upgrade my RS shock. Im trying to decide between the DVO Topaz, the new RS deluxe ultimate coil or a Cane Creek IL coil.. Not sure yet on whether to go air or coil.. Will I lose any of the playfulness or poppiness qualities by switching to coil? Can anyone tell me their experience riding with any of those setups? Thanks guys

Gone from RS Deluxe -> SD air -> Fox X2 -> SD Coil, X2 is marginally better than the SD coil, but the avg 6 month service cycle on the X2 sucks. Saying that, the RS SD coil is fantastic and coil is very well suited to the 19’s. Plenty poppy and you lose nothing but some mid stroke pedal support that air gives.

When the holidays run through I will be getting a push 11-6 if they have any discounts available. Well, gonna get it regardless but hoping to save some bucks but in the meantime my RS SD coil with SAR spring is fantastic.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 18:16 Quote
Elkulp wrote:
Jda6385 wrote:

Gone from RS Deluxe -> SD air -> Fox X2 -> SD Coil, X2 is marginally better than the SD coil, but the avg 6 month service cycle on the X2 sucks. Saying that, the RS SD coil is fantastic and coil is very well suited to the 19’s. Plenty poppy and you lose nothing but some mid stroke pedal support that air gives.

When the holidays run through I will be getting a push 11-6 if they have any discounts available. Well, gonna get it regardless but hoping to save some bucks but in the meantime my RS SD coil with SAR spring is fantastic.

Awesome man thanks for the advice. Would love to get my hands on a Push 11-6 but may have to go with a RS coil to fit my budget. So you would recommend a coil over an air shock hands down.?

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 18:49 Quote
Jda6385 wrote:
Elkulp wrote:
Jda6385 wrote:

Awesome man thanks for the advice. Would love to get my hands on a Push 11-6 but may have to go with a RS coil to fit my budget. So you would recommend a coil over an air shock hands down.?

My days of climbing are mixed from 750-1500 ft. If I was doing any more as part of my regular climb I would throw the X2 back on or the SD air to gain the mid stroke support back for the climbing only. Of course at the expense of the suppleness and gobs of traction the coil gives. Or just use the lockout lever on the coil, the SD coils lockout doesn’t do much but I’ve heard the MRP hazzard coils climb switch makes a big difference. I would also take a look at the CC inline coil. Lots of happy people on that lightweight alternative.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 19:31 Quote
Elkulp wrote:
Jda6385 wrote:
Elkulp wrote:

My days of climbing are mixed from 750-1500 ft. If I was doing any more as part of my regular climb I would throw the X2 back on or the SD air to gain the mid stroke support back for the climbing only. Of course at the expense of the suppleness and gobs of traction the coil gives. Or just use the lockout lever on the coil, the SD coils lockout doesn’t do much but I’ve heard the MRP hazzard coils climb switch makes a big difference. I would also take a look at the CC inline coil. Lots of happy people on that lightweight alternative.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying my best to learn and understand how my suspension works. Trying to get it dialed in just right is turning out to be a lot of work.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 19:57 Quote
Jda6385 wrote:
Elkulp wrote:
Jda6385 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'm trying my best to learn and understand how my suspension works. Trying to get it dialed in just right is turning out to be a lot of work.

Speaking from experience: The Cane Creek IL coil Climb Switch provides significant pedal support; better than most air shocks. If you combine the Cane Creek IL coil with a Fox SLS spring (yes it fits, despite what the manufacturer info says) is lighter than a Fox X2 air shock.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 8:21 Quote
anyone happen to have a non-boost fork form a 2017 Jeffsy they want to sell, or something similar? I just found out that I've got a 2mm puncture in my from a recent fall Cry

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 3:02 Quote
jpmurph7 wrote:
anyone happen to have a non-boost fork form a 2017 Jeffsy they want to sell, or something similar? I just found out that I've got a 2mm puncture in my from a recent fall Cry

I have a pike with a 160 debonair spring I can sell!

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 10:57 Quote
.....soooooo, after weeks and weeks of fiddling, my slightly custom Pro Race size L is finally done. pretty much.
It's my 1st 29er and this one is supposed to be a light enduro-quiver killer-race bike. Tl;dr: it delivers.

observations after 2 short rides in rather bad weather:
- the frame is indeed constructed to avoid catching muck, also it is remarkably well protected from stock and internal cable routing is a charm.
- XTR/XX1(cassette&chain) combo is the smoothest and most precise shifting system I've ever ridden.
- Shigura with MT5/XT seems to work really good - final verdict once I replace the oil contaminated pads on the front. :/
- the ergonomic options with shimano levers+shifters are more limited than with Sram/Magura. Everything sits a little too far to the inside for my liking; but I guess I can adapt. It proved impossible (!) to find a working solution with Magura levers and a Shimano trigger.
- the fid(dly)lock system. :/
- THE GEO IS DELICIOUS! With 177/86cm and coming from 27.5" with 448 reach I was seriously worried if a 2cm longer/3cm more wheelbase wagonwheeler will feel like too much bike. It doesn't. I was absolutely right at home and could do pretty much everything I can do with a bike I've ridden for years. And I solely noticed positive effects from the bigger wheels - improved traction is instantly evident, especially uphill. After the 1st descend I knew I will go faster with this bike than everything I'd ridden before. It's stable, it's playful, it's precise, it does find the crucial fine line between a toy and a weapon. Can't wait to give it some (alpine) punishment.
- The 36 sits at 160mm of course and it feels absolutely complementary.

Other stuff I'ce changed from stock: An Ergon CX [!] saddle that I've been running for years and which refuses to finally break, cockpit with 35mm stem and 780mm/2cm rise bar, proven 2.5 Aggressor DD/DHF MG tire combo, 170mm NextR crank for improved clearance, the non-boost absolute black 32t chainring does slighty but noisily touch the chainguide -> doesn't fit.
I consider putting an offset bushing (-0.5°/cm) on it for rowdy stuff and maybe some custom decals. Other than that, the thing seems maxed-out.

This bicycle is really, really good.
That's all I can say for now. Thanks for the input from this forum! Smile

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 15:45 Quote
Can anyone tell me if the rockshox deluxe rct shock on the 19 cf pro come with any volume reducers already installed? If it does then I'm wondering if taking one out will improve the feel of the bike.. has anyone played around with the deluxe and found a better setup??

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009860
Mobile Version of Website